Canadian Money Forum banner
21 - 40 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Who pays for the promotions ?
Marketing budget. Much cheaper than TV commercials for boomers

Not to mention the savings on brick & mortar, mutual fund salesmen, big bank execs and sky scrapers etc

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It's available for Canadians .I got it. so far got the 3% cashback but upgrading soon to the 5% one.
Hmm they have some very interesting deals now and I didn't know it was in Canada

I think Celsius has been around longer and established more trust for keeping their rates pretty stable. Their team is also pretty active with AMAs and social media

I'll definitely watch CRO though. They are doing a lot of marketing

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Well I'm young, and I'm a computer scientist, and I worked in cryptography. You're not the only one who doesn't "get it". A lot of this stuff doesn't make sense, even to experts like me.

Our people (not just me, but also PhDs at my last firm) all looked at this stuff, and we basically think it's a kind of convoluted shell game / scam. Lots of techno babble that superficially sounds impressive, but doesn't actually make sense.
The industry moves so fast it doesn't surprise me PhDs don't get it yet

I self taught myself to code in high school and my university profs and textbooks were so behind and outdated. It's really only last year you could start to use DeFi and now it's exploding with development. Most won't be able to get it before mass adoption because they can't imagine things change especially if they assume they are experts that already know everything

Trying to apply it to existing professions would be like trying to explain the internet to industry "experts" from the 70s

·
Registered
24,725 Posts
Trying to apply it to existing professions would be like trying to explain the internet to industry "experts" from the 70s
The internet began as an academic project heavily funded by the US government, under the ARPA agency, which today is called DARPA. It was an entirely academic project with heavy involvement by seasoned experts across major universities.

It was founded by experts, and under the arm of the US government.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So how many of those experts used their advanced early knowledge of the internet to build FAANG companies?

I remember many tech experts misunderstanding FAANG business, including pretty much everyone on this board

It's very difficult for most to see emerging tech. The vast majority are not visionaries or interested in what could be

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Celsius has some new ETH promos today

ETH20 $20 after 90 days for $500 deposit
ETH200 $200 after 90 days for $5000 ETH deposit
ETH600 $600 after 90 days for $20000 ETH deposit

You can stack all 3 promos plus 5.35% up to 30 ETH. Those promos make about 18% effectively on 10 ETH

I tend to use Celsius and Gemini together because both have free transfers. Both have referrals as well

·
Registered
116 Posts
Celsius has some new ETH promos today

ETH20 $20 after 90 days for $500 deposit
ETH200 $200 after 90 days for $5000 ETH deposit
ETH600 $600 after 90 days for $20000 ETH deposit

You can stack all 3 promos plus 5.35% up to 30 ETH. Those promos make about 18% effectively on 10 ETH

I tend to use Celsius and Gemini together because both have free transfers. Both have referrals as well
Seems like the modern equivalent of Amway type MLM direct sales. But instead of a killer deal on skin care products with miracle ingredients sold to friends from their living room, we have sales people promoting in social media and selling discounted ETH from their app. I'm guessing the great returns are not from the underlying value appreciation of ETH but from the intake of new investors. Unfortunately, when the pyramid scheme collapses, latecomers will get burned.

BTW, I like blockchain as a technology play the same way as IP technology under-pinned the Internet. But don't confuse today's crypto apps, websites, brands and marketing for actual technology. Blockchain technology will come into it's own when real businesses, banks and governments adopt it as a replacement for paper contracts and current SOX compliant financial accounting technology. Who knows what company will be the leader in this space.

Just my .02 ETH

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Who's selling ETH at discount on social media? I'll take some of that

What I posted is no different than the Tangerine and EQ promo rates and referrals. In the US you get hundreds of dollars to open a traditional bank account or credit card. Celsius is actually a legacy model for people who aren't technically inclined to use a blockchain themselves which is why I share it on this forum

There's lots of scams and NFT hype marketing like there is anywhere in a free society. I am tracking the development and all the major US companies are already hiring and developing blockchain integration. Building your own walled garden defeats the purpose but there will be multiple chains optimized for different purposes

Anyways you probably aren't ready for this, but your kids are gonna love it :LOL:

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
I want news.
... see post 1163 from sags even though it's a day old news. Not sure if the network is different from the app but the name Celsius is there.

Crypto currencies could be a total scam

I doubt there's gonna to be more news on this Celsius thing now that a pension plan has been snared into it. Pension plan details are notoriously hushed hushed. I hope I'm proven wrong here with more news to come on it...LMAO.

·
Registered
19,975 Posts
There are going to be investigations when millions of investor dollars are involved, especially when it involves a major public pension fund.

Cypto is highly leveraged and the tentacles run deep into the financial world. It reminds of the derivatives discovered in 2008.

·
Registered
10,220 Posts
Well I suspect they'll soon be told "there's no money to see here". As for me, I won't even bother with "I told you so". If they couldn't see it from the start, there's no point in trying to explain.
... fair enough but unfortunately, some of the withdrawing folks will include pensioners and then what? Pensioners don't get to make decisions on what's on their pension plan. Least of all, crypto/derivatives.

If Celsius bellies up, that's an "absolute" dent on their "assets" list. I wonder if the Quebec regulator is working or asleep on this.

21 - 40 of 94 Posts