Canadian Money Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
24,281 Posts
This was a good budget phone which costco sold for ~$239 a few months ago, hard to find now though.

Motorola Moto G8 Power - Full phone specifications

Watch out for the "updated" version (normally called the 2021 version) as it is not as good.
I've owned three Moto phones over the years (various models) and have been happy with all of them. I think they've been good budget phones which still do everything I need.

Disappointed that I missed the Costco sale. Oops.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I got the A53 5g on contract about 3 months ago but after having it a week I sent it back as the screen/apps was horribly unresponsive. I did like the fingerprint reader and the stereo speakers but the screen issue was just so terrible and frustrating it had to go. I replaced it with a Moto Edge for the same contract price and have been happy with it.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
This was a good budget phone which costco sold for ~$239 a few months ago, hard to find now though.

Motorola Moto G8 Power - Full phone specifications

Watch out for the "updated" version (normally called the 2021 version) as it is not as good.
I currently run a Moto G7 Power and am looking to move to a Moto G Stylus 2022. Moto makes decent, if not great, hardware. Where they lack is software. Motorola has been a gong show of buggy software and super slow updates (closing security loopholes long after the attack vector was made public). They are so bad, it's comedy. The very last update they sent down the wire to the G7 Power fleet made the phone useless. I doubt it was deliberate but it was a brutal swan song.

On the positive side, Moto gives a bit more CPU than typical at the price point, many of their phones have microSD memory expansion (a requirement for me), and the "Power" series has a big battery that I have enjoyed since 2017.

It's not that big of a deal for me to compile Android and sideload it. That's how I can still run the G7 Power. I suspect that puts me in pretty limited company.

BTW, that 5Ah batt will easily last 4 days with Google removed from the phone. People have little idea how much data and battery Google uses to keep second to second track of all of us.

I'm not warning against Motorola, specifically. I would say buy a 2022 model as they only provide software updates for 3 years. That's not 3 years from when you buy. It's 3 years from when they release it. Moto still provides value if you buy on the lower end and throw it away in 2.5~3 years. If you can unlock the phone and sideload a decent OS, Motorola products become the best bargain in the industry, IMO.

Also, there are a couple more models being released in September. We are on the edge of a product refresh cycle.

·
Registered
24,281 Posts
The G8 Power was released in February 2020 and Moto ends support after 3 years so the deal may not be as good as it seems for most people.
I wonder if the cameras are consistently good.

My G7 Play had a really amazing camera. Impressive capabilities with that $210 phone (back in 2020). An example shot, pulled over on a nice drive to enjoy the scenery,
Cloud Plant Sky Mountain Ecoregion

·
Registered
202 Posts
Not a frugal approach,
But I get the newest Samsung every year they come out. The top model.

But I also don't own a computer. So that's how I justify it.

Sell the old one on Kijiji and buy the new one every year. Can't wait for the S22 Ultra.
Mrs. Zipper and I both have S22 Ultras. Our best phones yet.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I am waiting until more 5G phones are on the market in Canada. The Samsung A32 5G is now on Amazon.ca but mostly refurb or international grey market with no warranty. Price has been dropping over the past few months on those. From high 300's to high $200's.

I can wait until there is more competition is this space to upgrade my current phone. No rush.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Will update this thread w my recent findings. Was waiting for the A33 5g to become available in Canada which is the cheapest Samsung model ($388 for intl model) w a high res AMOLED screen 1080 x 2400 screen.

Again it is just really an emergency phone so it is like having a Lexus to go to the store and back lol. One beef is you then have to go out and buy a $25 charger as they just come w a USB-C cable.

Very happy though. FYI PetroCanada's emergency pay as you go plan which will be ~ $80/yr - is the cheapest out there per Best Prepaid and Pay As You Go Phone Plans 2022 | WhistleOut
I bought the A32 5g; perfectly happy with it. I paid $295 last November. I too just use it for emergency. Mine came with the charger, thank goodness. I think 7-11 has a cheaper pay as you go plan - $25/yr is the cheapest.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I wonder if the cameras are consistently good.

My G7 Play had a really amazing camera. Impressive capabilities with that $210 phone (back in 2020). An example shot, pulled over on a nice drive to enjoy the scenery,
View attachment 23494
I suspect your G7 Play has a better camera than my G7 Power, although my Power can take some decent shots in bright light. It's extremely hard to critique the technical aspects of a landscape pic taken in full sunlight that has been compressed for Internet sharing.

My wife has a high model Samsung from a year ago. Her camera takes better images in the day and way better images at night.

The G7 Power takes OK pics at night but they are grainy with poor color and not very dynamic. Her Samsung is surprisingly good at night.

A knock against the Samsung, for me, is the pics are way over saturated and over processed. This is just how the vast majority of people like their pics... like a cartoon. Consider me an exception.

The Motorola processes images far more accurately with regard to color and saturation but it is clearly a far inferior camera.

I'm not sure if the G8 Power has the same camera as a G7 Power. It might. The G Power 2022 has a different camera and it looks a bit better. Unfortunately, the G Power 2022 is limited to 4GB of RAM so someone looking for a higher spec phone needs to look at the Moto G Stylus for 4/6/8 configurations.

Most of them are good during the day, not so much at night.
For sure.

The G7 Power takes better night pics than my first DSLR did, two decades ago. An old guy like me finds it easy to tolerate the G7 Power night pics. Top phone cameras of today just happen to take far better pics. I never thought digital photography could come this far. It is so far better than film photography ever was.

Reactions: james4beach

·
Administrator
5,285 Posts
The G7 Power takes better night pics than my first DSLR did, two decades ago. An old guy like me finds it easy to tolerate the G7 Power night pics. Top phone cameras of today just happen to take far better pics. I never thought digital photography could come this far. It is so far better than film photography ever was.
The newer high price phones do pretty good, even at night. My friends Pixel 6 Pro does very well in most situations, day or night. I just use my phone for basic photo needs not to do actual photography. Hard to compare against DSLR, so many options there but they have improved since first their release ~20 years ago.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I have a closet full of dSLR gear that hasn't been used in a decade. For some reason, I absolutely had to have a full frame camera. Now I use my low end Motorola cell phone and am completely happy. I don't love the camera but I also don't burn for something better.

Clearly, dSLR was compulsive materialism for me. It's embarrassing but that is my reality.

·
Administrator
5,285 Posts
Clearly, dSLR was compulsive materialism for me. It's embarrassing but that is my reality.
Fairly common from what I've seen, many have lots of camera stuff they don't use for long.

I still use my (old) DSLR gear and actually wish I had it a few nights ago on my late night motorcycle ride. About 20 km's from me was a t-storm with very active lightning and I tried to take pics using my phone but they didn't turn out. With a my DSLR gear I could have easily captured some great shots.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I bought the A32 5g; perfectly happy with it. I paid $295 last November. I too just use it for emergency. Mine came with the charger, thank goodness. I think 7-11 has a cheaper pay as you go plan - $25/yr is the cheapest.
Interesting. WhistleOut recommended PetroCanada. I think I was confused about the top ups discussing this w a customer service person that you pay $25 for each 120 day period (no balance carry over) .

On their site it says you pay $25 for 120 days then the balance carries forward if you top up to $25 for another 120 days. So could be $25/yr too

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Fairly common from what I've seen, many have lots of camera stuff they don't use for long.

I still use my (old) DSLR gear and actually wish I had it a few nights ago on my late night motorcycle ride. About 20 km's from me was a t-storm with very active lightning and I tried to take pics using my phone but they didn't turn out. With a my DSLR gear I could have easily captured some great shots.
I use my phone all the time, and as long as you don't look too closely they are pretty good.

That being said my old Nikon is looking at a refresh. When I bought it, I called it my "magic camera". Put it on auto or auto-noflash and the pics were consistently amazing.

Now it's time to go mirrorless, and I'm wondering if I should stay Nikon or go Canon.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Question. On Android the Messages APP sends SMS over the mobile network. Is there any way to send these by default over WIFI or will it work if you switch your mobile network off? Please advise. Thanks

·
Administrator
5,285 Posts
Question. On Android the Messages APP sends SMS over the mobile network. Is there any way to send these by default over WIFI or will it work if you switch your mobile network off? Please advise. Thanks
Not on the Messages App, you need mobile data for sending MMS (text + pics) directly. You can upload the photo to say Google Drive (or other place) via Wifi then send the http share link via Messages.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts