Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suggestions welcome.

Looking to replace my LG G6 cell phone with another Android. Would want something equal to or better than what I have. Have had the phone for 5 years and would expect to keep the next one at least 4 years.
Used for , lite phone use and texting, email, reading news items, occasional youtube how to video, occasionally music. Camera use is not a priority but do take the occasion snap. Very rarely video. No gaming..
Also use various utility aps . Would want at least a 6 in screen probably 6.5 ish. Present ph has a 3300 amphr battery. Would like bigger likely 4500 or 5000. Price point mid range.

Lots of selection available and confusing specs. Wifi AX seems to be the latest and 5G.

I see some with snapdragon 750 processor and 6 G Ram . Is the 750 good/bad?

·
Registered
11,534 Posts
I had a G5, great phone, I like LG products in general.
My LG velvet is pretty nice but I would NOT get a device with a curved screen.

I think if you're looking at the higher end phones, you can check their performance on comparison sites, but they're all "pretty good". You should only worry about performance if you're looking at the low end.. which you're not.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Spouse has the A10 for three years. She has been very happy with it. I bought a new unlocked Moto E4 on Amazon for $140 CAD in 2017. Light user. I am still using it..does what I need it to do. It does not owe me thing. I would happily buy another lower end Moto or Samsung.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Thanks for that great site. ^ Looking at smartphones too. Can you use these after the security upgrades expire for maybe a few more years? The iphones are more $ but they have 6 yrs of support usually vs 5 yrs w Google and 4 w Samsung.

Can you keep these in use for a few more years after the upgrades end and be relatively safe for emerg use and a little browsing? Apple have a very safe network apparently.

The Samsung A52 5G (if you can get 6 yrs out of it) or Google Pixel 6 look good.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Not a frugal approach,
But I get the newest Samsung every year they come out. The top model.

But I also don't own a computer. So that's how I justify it.

Sell the old one on Kijiji and buy the new one every year. Can't wait for the S22 Ultra.

·
Registered
24,335 Posts
Spouse has the A10 for three years. She has been very happy with it. I bought a new unlocked Moto E4 on Amazon for $140 CAD in 2017. Light user. I am still using it..does what I need it to do. It does not owe me thing. I would happily buy another lower end Moto or Samsung.
Yeah, I like the Moto ones as well. I'm using a Moto that I got at Costco a couple years ago, it's 2 years old and still works like a champ.

Since this $160 Moto phone can do everything I need, and lasts at least a couple years, I don't see why I'd spend more on a phone. I actually wish I bought two more of these back then to give to family members.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Thanks for that great site. ^ Looking at smartphones too. Can you use these after the security upgrades expire for maybe a few more years? The iphones are more $ but they have 6 yrs of support usually vs 5 yrs w Google and 4 w Samsung.

Can you keep these in use for a few more years after the upgrades end and be relatively safe for emerg use and a little browsing? Apple have a very safe network apparently.

The Samsung A52 5G (if you can get 6 yrs out of it) or Google Pixel 6 look good.
I feel any smartphone is safe to use after the upgrades end. I don't even worry about it. Unless you're installing weird apps you'll be fine, in my opinion.

The main reason you need to upgrade a smartphone is because either the battery or the performance will suffer after a while. Occasionally you'll get a phone-bricking event that happens like you drop your phone and break it, or something happens inside to the motherboard or whatever that makes it stop working. My Nexus 5X died like that, it got into what they call a bootloop, where it would reboot, and as soon as it was rebooted, it would reboot again on its own.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I feel any smartphone is safe to use after the upgrades end. I don't even worry about it. Unless you're installing weird apps you'll be fine, in my opinion.

The main reason you need to upgrade a smartphone is because either the battery or the performance will suffer after a while. Occasionally you'll get a phone-bricking event that happens like you drop your phone and break it, or something happens inside to the motherboard or whatever that makes it stop working. My Nexus 5X died like that, it got into what they call a bootloop, where it would reboot, and as soon as it was rebooted, it would reboot again on its own.
Good to know. That is what I am reading too that those areas are other reasons for replacing. Some people are still on Apple 6s's from 2015 and expect a few more years from them. I like the Samsung A32 5G for $300 but it has an avg 720 p screen. The A52 5G has an OLED, much better res and is ~ $489 on sale now. May go that route if I can get 7-8 yrs out of it.

·
Administrator
5,292 Posts
I like the Samsung A32 5G for $300 but it has an avg 720 p screen. The A52 5G has an OLED, much better res and is ~ $489 on sale now. May go that route if I can get 7-8 yrs out of it.
You can also have a look at the Motorola One Ace 5G. Has a 6.7" high res display, fairly fast processor, long battery life and goes on sale at Costco for $349. Typical Moto phone with no bloatware and runs Android 11.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
You can also have a look at the Motorola One Ace 5G. Has a 6.7" high res display, fairly fast processor, long battery life and goes on sale at Costco for $349. Typical Moto phone with no bloatware and runs Android 11.
I was liking that phone too. The concern is they only have 2 yrs of security upgrades now. Hopefully they add more. Going to be watching these for a little while hoping for price drops, better support etc.

The Problem With Motorola Phones: Software Updates, No NFC, and More | WIRED

·
Administrator
5,292 Posts
I was liking that phone too. The concern is they only have 2 yrs of security upgrades now. Hopefully they add more. Going to be watching these for a little while hoping for price drops, better support etc.

The Problem With Motorola Phones: Software Updates, No NFC, and More | WIRED
Might be an issue for some I guess but not an issue for me personally ... I still use my Moto G4 Plus with Android 7 :) Also with the money saved you can upgrade faster, if it's really needed.

BTW, I think the security issues are overplayed by the industry in order to get people to upgrade. I don't do banking, NFC or anything security sensitive. Not even sure any of the security updates play into that stuff but I've never looked that deep into it.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Might be an issue for some I guess but not an issue for me personally ... I still use my Moto G4 Plus with Android 7 :) Also with the money saved you can upgrade faster, if it's really needed.

BTW, I think the security issues are overplayed by the industry in order to get people to upgrade. I don't do banking, NFC or anything security sensitive. Not even sure any of the security updates play into that stuff but I've never looked that deep into it.
Interesting. Most of the tech writers like more security but they probably use their phones more. I won't do anything security sensitive either. I don't care about the camera or storage too much either. I would prefer to be more economical and spend $350- 400. One Ace is an option. It only has Android 10 apparently.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am a fan of high-end Samsung S Galaxy series (I have a S10 2020). You can get a more value-oriented A32 very well rated.

There are very decent phones for even cheaper. This has been a great experience for one of my friends. US$140 is hard to beat and it doesn't feel cheap at all.

I like my Snapdragon in my S10 but it is power hungry...needs to recharge almost every day. The A11 Max Pro can last 4-5 days.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I am a fan of high-end Samsung S Galaxy series (I have a S10 2020). You can get a more value-oriented A32 very well rated.

There are very decent phones for even cheaper. This has been a great experience for one of my friends. US$140 is hard to beat and it doesn't feel cheap at all.

I like my Snapdragon in my S10 but it is power hungry...needs to recharge almost every day. The A11 Max Pro can last 4-5 days.
Yes. I liked the A32 5G or the A32 (4G) which has a better screen but hard to find. I just need an emerg phone w some browsing from time to time so the screen and battery are the main priorities.

I think some of these other brands you may have to worry about compatibility w SIM cards on the carrier networks in Canada. Ex Oneplus is a good company but I don't think any carriers support them up here.

The problem now is stores are completely sold out of all stock. From supply issues or the boxing day surge, they don't even have stock online. Hopefully they still have some 2021 models in production and will be discounting w the new 2022 models soon available

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Will update this thread w my recent findings. Was waiting for the A33 5g to become available in Canada which is the cheapest Samsung model ($388 for intl model) w a high res AMOLED screen 1080 x 2400 screen.

FYI for anyone in the market for a mid priced cell, Samsung just dropped the price on the Samsung A53 5G from $589 to $430 so I grabbed the higher model at that great price. It basically has most top of the line features. 6MB RAM 120 Gb storage 120 hz refresh rate, 5000 mah battery etc. Very nice phone . Samsung have 4 yrs of upgrades and 5 yrs of support now. I think they are 2nd now to Apple.

Again it is just really an emergency phone so it is like having a Lexus to go to the store and back lol. One beef is you then have to go out and buy a $25 charger as they just come w a USB-C cable.

Very happy though. FYI PetroCanada's emergency pay as you go plan which will be ~ $80/yr - is the cheapest out there per Best Prepaid and Pay As You Go Phone Plans 2022 | WhistleOut

FYI from all my shopping Snakehive make a very nice leather wallet cover too from many top 10 ratings.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts