Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a BCE shareholder, I’m happy to see them gouge their customers. But, I think I’ve had it With them! They have recently goosed their pricing To the point where we are questioning the value. I know Public Mobile are Telus with some very reasonable looking plans, but does anyone have any other suggestions? My wife and I want unlimited Canada calls and text and maybe 2-5 GB of data. We have our own IPhones.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
We are on Koodo, a Telus sub. Very happy. Cell service only. We own our phones. No contract.

We will not deal with Bell for any services.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
I know Public Mobile are Telus with some very reasonable looking plans, but does anyone have any other suggestions? My wife and I want unlimited Canada calls and text and maybe 2-5 GB of data. We have our own IPhones.
I used SpeakOut for years, but like most mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs) that resell access to the national carriers’ networks, the data is throttled to 3G rates. They don't really advertise that, but it's so.

This is certainly not a problem if you are using a MVNO for cell calls only and a few texts without data or MMS, and especially if you want to limit yourself to "play-as-you-pay" for that convenience. In that regard, MVNO's in my opinion are great. You can dump some money on their site into your account and then as you sparingly use the cell phone and text, the deposit is drawn down. For infrequent users of cell and text, they are way ahead of using a major carrier.

Then there are the "monthly plans" of the MVNO's that include unlimited calls and text in Canada and a certain amount of data commensurate with the cost per month. I think these are fine and an advantage over the major carrier if you aren't too fussed about the speed. As intimated above, many are throttled to 3G rates. If that's OK, then they're a better deal than a major. If you've experienced the difference between data on LTE+ from a major versus 3G from an MVNO, then you'll know it's significant. So it all depends on the user.

ltr

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
As a BCE shareholder, I’m happy to see them gouge their customers. But, I think I’ve had it With them! They have recently goosed their pricing To the point where we are questioning the value. I know Public Mobile are Telus with some very reasonable looking plans, but does anyone have any other suggestions? My wife and I want unlimited Canada calls and text and maybe 2-5 GB of data. We have our own IPhones.
We have been looking for our youngest for her first plan. If you are only looking for call and text, they have a deal right now for Pre Black Friday at Freedom. $99 for the YEAR. No data, but it seems great for someone who just wants to use a phone as a phone.

·
Registered
10,686 Posts
Consider a family plan via Telus. Share the data among family members. I think some kind of promotion is now on. Telus and Bell share networks (Telus on Bell in the east, and Bell on Telus in the west).

·
Registered
441 Posts
I’m using lucky mobile and it’s 40/mo no issues, but I’d switch if I found cheaper.

it’s a LTE connection throttled to 3G. I can stream Netflix, HD vid so it’s enough for me.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
A few weeks ago I got a deal at Walmart, unlimited text and phone for $99 a year. I got in on the last day but I hear they brought out the same plan again for $129. You need to supply your own phone. This is in Ontario, don't know if they have the same deal in BC.
The plan was from Freedom Mobile, my phone is an LG from Koodo

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I recently switched to Freedom. You can get 1.5GB + unlimited talk/text for $19/mo or 3GB for $29/mo. Full LTE speeds, unlike Public which seems to offer only 3G. (Note: these are prepaid plans so you have to look under prepaid instead of under plans on their website.)

I went for the 1.5GB plan myself since my phone tells me I normally use about 500mb of data a month.

·
Registered
22 Posts
We have switched to Public Mobile (uses Telus cell towers) last month and I cannot get over the savings. If you have your own phones it's really the best deal out there for Canada wide calls, unlimited texts. We signed up for the 1 gig data plan ($25/month) and got 3 extra GB for free (FREE3GB bonus code) and when the rolling 3 GB runs out we will upgrade to the 2G plan which is $35/month. $2/month discount if you set up automatic prepay on your credit card. Also $10 off if you use a referral code (55JRJE )and $1 off/month if anyone uses your referral code. Really great plan, can't recommend it enough.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
I am still amazed that some feel that $35/month for a cell phone plan is a steal! Maybe it is if it totally eliminates need for home phone and internet? Otherwise????

For those of us old codgers who are hunkering down at home where we still have internet and our desktops/laptops why would we need any data? And if you are not an old codger, unless you need to for business, why are you out and about making calls and using data? Do you really need to?

When we do occasionally go out, a cell phone can be useful or even act as a safety measure. But how many calls do we need to make? Now we are learning how to text, that can be useful - businesses seem to think we all can text anyway! Don't text much either.

So, for me, $35/year from Speakout pay as you go fills the bill :) (used $16.35 in past 5 months!) If I need data when out, I just park outside Timmies or Lowes or HD or almost anywhere these days and get it for free.

We do pay $45/month for home internet plus $5/month for Ooma home phone. If we could get a family (2-line) text and talk plan for $11/month, that would just be a break even :) Those $99/yr text/talk plans seem reasonable for those making more calls than we do.

However, I own Telus and Bell, so I hope you keep buying those plans!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the input, you have given me some good stuff. Unfortunately, we’re in Lockdown (Peel Region in Ontario), so will have to wait until retailers are open again.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I am paying Koodo $20 month for unlimited Canada and ww text. Even that seems high to me compared to the rates we have seen in other countries.

Have not seen any details of the $99. annual prepay in our marketplace.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Thanks for all the input, you have given me some good stuff. Unfortunately, we’re in Lockdown (Peel Region in Ontario), so will have to wait until retailers are open again.
If you want Freedom, you can do everything online - they mail you the sim and activate it for you. No need to go to a store. I would be surprised if the other providers don't do the same, but I haven't signed up with any of them lately.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
If you want Freedom, you can do everything online - they mail you the sim and activate it for you. No need to go to a store. I would be surprised if the other providers don't do the same, but I haven't signed up with any of them lately.
They're mostly all just online. You go online and apply and then they mail you a SIM and then you can phone or go online and they activate the SIM.

ltr

1 - 14 of 14 Posts