Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy news today, explains why the stock has risen recently. Anyone else here have money in CDL? I love the special dividend, but even the regular dividend is nice.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was declared a while ago, payable January 10, 2013. I'm not sure of the date of record but we've owned stock for years now. I'm hoping the share goes back down now so I can buy more.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If one is in CSW for the dividends alone, is there any difference between class A and class B stock? Other than the price? The yield is (near) the same it appears.

Did they change their stock ticker? I noticed I listed CDL in the original post but maybe that was a mistake on my part.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was going to post this in the LIQ thread but it should be here. [Mods: could someone change the thread title as CDL changed their name and ticker symbol a couple of years back). Corby Spirit and Wine CSW.A or CSW.B today announced a special dividend of 0.62 per share (~3.3% on CSW.B share price yesterday) along with Q1 16 results and a new extended term agreement with Pernod Ricard (Their ultimate parent company.)

Q1 results a a small improvement over Q1 15 overall this company has had very flat results over past 3-4 years, but keeps spitting out its excess cash in dividends and special dividends. This is now 4/5 years.

news release:
http://www.corby.ca/NewsRelease?newsID=137212

·
Registered
776 Posts
I actually liked it better when they "saved up" the special dividend and paid it out once every 4-5 years. Since 2012 they have been paying out a special dividend yearly. They changed their dividend policy so they would pay out any excess cash yearly.

When they would pay out a special dividend on a 4-6 year cycle I was able to predict which year they would pay out the dividend by watching the retained earnings level. I got my predictions correct in 2007 (paid in January 2008) and again in 2012 (paid in January 2013 and actually commented on above) and I actually played the stock in 2012 on the guess they were going to pay out a special dividend. It is nice to get a yearly little boost now but not quite as satisfying as predicting a "surprise" dividend every 4-5 years. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts