Canadian Money Forum banner
121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Is there any where to see his portfolios perfomance vs S&P 500 and Nasdaq?
His portfolios are most likely index funds and value-tilted, and value lagged the market during the previous decade, but it's likely the time to shine for value now.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
If you look at her actual returns she beat QQQ ( her fund is an active fund so comparing it to an index is a bs comparison to begin w) for 7 yrs except the recent cherry picked 4 months.

Elon Musk and Jack Dorsey are 2 of the most successful 'tech billionaires' and they agree w her on many areas: EV, Bitcoin etc. She has a team of analysts who do white papers on areas they invest in. She and her team are probably the leading authority on some areas. I can't find any other analysts that have done as much research in these areas if any at all. In fact her funds are the only I can find in tech that are truly actively managed and not based on shitty index screening. There are many other tech experts like Beth Kindig but they don't manage funds.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
If you look at her actual returns she beat QQQ ( her fund is an active fund so comparing it to a levered index is a bs comparison to begin w) for 7 yrs except the recent cherry picked 4 months.

Elon Musk and Jack Dorsey are 2 of the most successful 'tech billionaires' and they agree w her on many areas: EV, Bitcoin etc. She has a team of analysts who do white papers on areas they invest in. She and her team are probably the leading authority on some areas. I can't find any other analysts that have done as much research in these areas if any at all. In fact her funds are the only I can find in tech that are truly actively managed and not based on shitty index screening. There are many other tech experts like Beth Kindig but they don't manage funds.
QQQ is not a levered index, it's just a plain Nasdaq 100 index.

If you look at James's graph, she started her fund in Oct 2014 but she didn't start beating the QQQ until mid-2017. Then she did beat it from mid-2017 until early 2022, and now she is again not beating it. But his point was that since inception, she has not beaten it. That means if in Oct 2014 you put equal amounts into QQQ and ARKK, your QQQ would be worth more today than your ARKK.

I agree with you that saying she "sucks at her job" is a bit strong. But this shows the fallacy of active management. Active management can either outperform the index or underperform it. Often, it will outperform for a while and then underperform for a while. Investing in an active managed fund is no guarantee of outperforming the index.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
QQQ is not a levered index, it's just a plain Nasdaq 100 index.

If you look at James's graph, she started her fund in Oct 2014 but she didn't start beating the QQQ until mid-2017. Then she did beat it from mid-2017 until early 2022, and now she is again not beating it. But his point was that since inception, she has not beaten it. That means if in Oct 2014 you put equal amounts into QQQ and ARKK, your QQQ would be worth more today than your ARKK.

I agree with you that saying she "sucks at her job" is a bit strong. But this shows the fallacy of active management. Active management can either outperform the index or underperform it. Often, it will outperform for a while and then underperform for a while. Investing in an active managed fund is no guarantee of outperforming the index.
ok Someone bandied about the term 'leveraged qqq' and in the past they compared this active fund to a 3x levered QQQ etf.

It is hard to read his graph but it looks like only late 2015 to July 2017 or maybe 1.5 yrs. So in 7 yrs she beat QQQ for all but ~ 2 years. In average cagr ( 3 yr rolling say) though it would have beat qqq for longer periods. So here clearly active management proves to be better even in this cherry picked situation.

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
Cathie Wood sold Tesla shares and bought GM shares. GM shares went down. Go away Cathie........you are bad luck.
We've known she's a bad stock picker for a very long time. Cathie used to manage a hedge fund during the dot com bubble, something she founded in 1998 or 1999 as far as I know.

Her hedge fund failed and everyone pulled out their money. The ARK thing is her second attempt at it but it appears to be playing out like her first try.

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Yea, Woods describes herself as gathering "disruptor" stocks, but there isn't much in her portfolio that I haven't seen before in the last 40 years.

They are just new names for old ideas. Home delivery.....gaming platform....online website....call a doctor....seriously ?

A true "disruptor" stock was Google. It blew apart the entire "walled garden" concept of search engines who controlled the results they presented.

I don't see anything remembling a Google in her portfolio, except maybe Tesla which was a great buy for her, but then she sold a pile of it.

·
Registered
9,056 Posts
We've known she's a bad stock picker for a very long time. Cathie used to manage a hedge fund during the dot com bubble, something she founded in 1998 or 1999 as far as I know.

Her hedge fund failed and everyone pulled out their money. The ARK thing is her second attempt at it but it appears to be playing out like her first try.
... the rinse, scam, and repeat technique? That's a new one.

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
Yall need to zoom out and stop cherry picking recent data

Cathie Wood won't be living on OAS, collecting rain checks or eating cat food anytime soon. If someone bought her fund at the peak it's not her fault

Underlying issue is the Fed trying to play God with the markets

·
Registered
9,056 Posts
^ Of course, Ms. Wood won't be living off OAS, collecting rain checks or eating cat food nor have to line up at the foodbanks. Only those who bought into her fund(s) will.

And if the Feds is trying to play God with the markets, who make up the markets? The Feds?

Reactions: sags

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
ARKK fund price has retraced back to March 2018. Most investors have lost money in the ARKK fund.

I am surprised they haven't bailed yet. Who invests in losing stocks like this ?

·
Registered
6,613 Posts
ARKK fund price has retraced back to March 2018. Most investors have lost money in the ARKK fund.

I am surprised they haven't bailed yet. Who invests in losing stocks like this ?
If most people buy the hype it pushes prices to higher high and then the same people sell the low and push it lower

If you bought early and sold high now you can buy low again and profit from the dummies. I've been nibbling back in on overcorrections and getting instant gains lately and selling again

Your statement here show that you don't understand how market prices are based on time rather than "losing" and "winning" stocks

121 - 136 of 136 Posts