1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I have kept several of my [old] cassettes because my 10+ year old car still has one that plays them. I did buy a gadget for under $10 that allows me to connect my MP3 to it. I think it's called a cassette tape adapter.

Also kept a record player that's about 15 years or so; why would anyone throw away antiques. :)

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Another crazy hipster fad, like ugly clothes and big glasses.

Why would anyone want to move backwards in terms of the quality of the sound? Sort of like the instagram fad I suppose. Cross-developed photos do not make art, or crappy photos more interesting.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
You are just being frugal TGal. Nothing wrong with that. Also, re-buying things you already own is probably painful. What I mean is that in the article, I'm sure most of the people 'readopting' cassettes don't have cardboard boxes full of them in their basements.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Actually back when I dubbed LPs onto high-quality cassettes it was pretty much impossible to tell the difference when I played them back on my stereo. I usually dubbed my favourite albums onto cassette because LPs are so easily damaged (scratches, pops, etc.), whereas cassette tapes I bought in the 1970s and 80s still sound fine today. I didn't buy many commercial cassettes, though, so maybe that's where the quality suffered.

I've been gradually converting the cassettes worth saving over to digital; I have a couple hundred cassettes in a library card catalogue (another obsolete technology) in my basement.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Vinyl's resurgence was somewhat understandable due to the DJ movement, but I'm not convinced that it all can't be done digitally. Maybe the physical interaction with a record is more satisfying, but I don't think the same can be said about cassettes.

I do miss that hollow plastic sound they make when you jostle them in their boxes though.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Some years back I used to trade recordings (mostly home recordings of traditional Irish music) with a friend in France, and he would send me emails saying that he was going to send me a "K7." It took me a while to realize that this was a shorthand way of writing "cassette" in French, because "K" in French sounds like "kah" and "7" sounds like "set."

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
When I cleared out my brother's house in 2009, I could not give away the 100s of cassettes, let alone the reel-to-reel tapes. Even some of the vinyl went to the dump.

I did keep the taped set of Tony Robbins motivational lectures. One of my kids will have to throw those away.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
I still have a few 5-1/4" floppy disks in the attic of my parents home.
I will throw out my collection of music cassettes a couple of years after I throw out the 5-1/4" floppies.
All in good time, what's the rush.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Wow - frugality comes with hoarding mentality.

The computer data and storage disks/drives are the worst. What is that 360kb of data that is worth storing in the attic? I have blank .txt files that are larger than that.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I will throw out my collection of music cassettes a couple of years after I throw out the 5-1/4" floppies.
All in good time, what's the rush.
Maybe now's the time to sell your cassettes, if they're worth something now and you'll be throwing them out anyway!

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Wow - frugality comes with hoarding mentality.
The computer data and storage disks/drives are the worst. What is that 360kb of data that is worth storing in the attic? I have blank .txt files that are larger than that.
I have a kept only a couple of them purely as a memento of the good ol' days.
There is nothing worthwhile in them.
Even if there were, good luck finding a PC that has a 5-1/4" floppy disk drive to read the data.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Some years back I used to trade recordings (mostly home recordings of traditional Irish music) with a friend in France, and he would send me emails saying that he was going to send me a "K7." It took me a while to realize that this was a shorthand way of writing "cassette" in French, because "K" in French sounds like "kah" and "7" sounds like "set."

love it. Like for the 1st year in france my kids kept looking for a cartoon super-hero on french tv called Pat Panic. Every time there was a breakdown in the émission a female voice would announce the imminent arrival of a character apparently named pas-de-panique. Eventually we caught on.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
love it. Like for the 1st year in france my kids kept looking for a cartoon super-hero on french tv called Pat Panic. Every time there was a breakdown in the émission a female voice would announce the imminent arrival of a character apparently named pas-de-panique. Eventually we caught on.
Driving in Maine with two French people in the car, we spotted a truck with a vanity license plate that read "PIANO KC." Presumably it was owned by a guy named Casey who played the piano, but my French companions exploded in laughter because in French it translated to "broken piano."

1 - 20 of 30 Posts