Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I am a retiree with a TFSA and other investments. I had been investing in individual stocks and bonds since the inception of the TFSA.

Because I am afraid the markets will crash, I decided to sell all my stocks. My portfolio is now at $109,000, with $75,000 in a HISA and the rest in municipal bonds.

I would appreciate any ideas as to where to park my money for the short to medium term. I have never invested in ETFs, there are so many of them and I don't know where to start.

Any idea or suggestion is welcome.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
What are you investment goals? Growth? Income? Safety? What is your risk tolerance? Low? Med? High? Time horizon? Purpose of funds?

·
Super Moderator
3,722 Posts
I would appreciate any ideas as to where to park my money for the short to medium term.
There's really no good places to park money and get a good return right now if you are seeking no risk investments. Why do you think the markets are going to crash right now? Most economic signs are pointing to recovery are they not?

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Stick to your risk tolerance and understanding level.

I'd considering putting some of that HISA into a GIC ladder, if the rates are competative.
Make sure you have no debt.

You could put some into a broad based stock fund, IF that fits with your risk profile.
A small portion may make sense, I would look at canadiancouchpotato for specific recommendations.

But again, watch your risk profile, it seems low.
I'd stick mostly to GICs (watch insurance levels) and government/agency bonds. if it is low.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What are you investment goals? Growth? Income? Safety? What is your risk tolerance? Low? Med? High? Time horizon? Purpose of funds?
Medium risk tolerance. Time horizo is forever.

Since I cashed all my stocks recently, I a m looking at something more conservative.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's really no good places to park money and get a good return right now if you are seeking no risk investments. Why do you think the markets are going to crash right now? Most economic signs are pointing to recovery are they not?
I think we are due for a serious correction, at which time I will get back into stocks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yield on their website is "Net Yield" and the MER 0.16%. Do we need to subtract the MER or is it already netted out to get closer to the actual return?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts