Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know we don't have to pay taxes or declare a cash gift ( unless it's from an employer). My question is, can we declare it if it's to our advantage?

For example, If a student has $4000 in earned income last year ( short $1000 to qualify for the CERB) can he use money gifts given to him and declare them as tips?
Thanks for your feedback

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Was the amount ACTUALLY tips?
The OP seems quite clear that the intended applicant earned $4,000 and wants to use "money gifts given to him and declare them as tips". I see no ambiguity there. The idea presented is to misrepresent the source and nature of the funds in order to qualify for a handout from the public purse. I know many here will see nothing wrong with that. I do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure, that's the Canadian way. Lie, cheat, steal. Defraud the government (the few who pay taxes).
Not wanting to do that, that's why I'm asking. There are many things that you do not have to claim, but can if you want to, such a business expenses, medical expenses. So, if you have the paper trail of the money being deposited into your account, (the deposited checks) is it optional to claim it? (lying would be if I said he cut their grass for it, but he didn't, they were actual cash gifts)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The OP seems quite clear that the intended applicant earned $4,000 and wants to use "money gifts given to him and declare them as tips". I see no ambiguity there. The idea presented is to misrepresent the source and nature of the funds in order to qualify for a handout from the public purse. I know many here will see nothing wrong with that. I do.
Thank you. I guess the word 'tip' is not accurate here, on the 'other employment income' there is a line that just says 'other' so that's why I was asking if declaring 'money received' was optional. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[
Thank you, that's very helpful and looking at the 'intent' of the plan helps to understand it better. thanks again.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
He helped neighbors moved, they wanted to pay him, but he turned it down so they gave him an envelope with money. Is a tip? I would think it's just a gift.
I would think it could be considered either.

I think part of the comments about possible scamming the system are because most gifts are things like grandma slipping the grand kid twenty bucks for no particular reason or for a birthday. For those type gifts, there was nothing done - it was simply given.

Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. There is a new program for students, so it doesn't really matter now, but I appreciate your feedback

1 - 10 of 10 Posts