Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
I have never used it but I have been to their website a few times. I thought it could be worthwhile if there are cards for stores I frequent, but I am not impressed with the selection. Maybe now that they were mentioned in the Globe & Mail there will be more users and therefore, more selection. A 20% discount off the face value of the card seems to be the norm.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Cardswap and Plastic Jungle (plastic jungle my have a bit more selection) are both great places to "sell" your junky gift card. If you're interested in buying, they don't really have a great selection, and the dollar amounts of the gift cards are a bit 'off' or can be a bit high e.g. $263 vs a $50 gift card.

I have a post about it here if you're interested in checking it out

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at the date of my original post, apparently I have procrastinated on this.

But I did join Cardswap today, as I have a few cards to recirculate to someone who will be more likely to use them.

Upon reading the website, it does appear to be fairly straightforward, and they give you 90% per face value on the card. Assuming it is a mojor retailer.

I am planning on selling 2 cards initially as they are with the same retailer.

Will update you all on the process.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok so on Monday, I printed the postage paid address from the CardSwap site, taped it to the envelope and mailed off a $25 gift card, with a printout of my reference number, address and email.

Hopefully in a day or so, I should get a confirmaiton email that they received it.....then hopefully a cheque.

You type your card # online and it will tell you ahead of time, depending upon the retailer, what amount the cheque will be in.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Received my email confirmation on Friday that CardSwap has issued a cheque to me in the mail.

·
Banned
2,508 Posts
Wow that's pretty good. Usually I just sell or trade our unwanted gift cards off the BST section of RFD. This has worked out well so far. +

And BOO to bad gift cards. :D

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I didnt post sooner, but it did end up taking 9 business days for the cheque to arrive, vs the 7 business days they post on their website.

But the cheque did come with a coupon card that offered a $10 bonus if I were to redeem another $100 in gift card face value in the next month and a half. Which (depending upon the retailer redemtion rate they offer) would pretty much get you $100 back for redeeming $100 in gift cards not a bad offer. Too bad I have no more unwanted gift cards.

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Is your question in response to an episode of Dragons Den? I've used them a few times in the past to get ride of gift cards that we've held onto for so long it's clear we're not going to use them.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just saw the episode tonight on a Dragons Den re run.

I am out of gift cards by now....

·
Registered
179 Posts
They seem to have moved to a points/rewards system now rather than an actual discounted price. That makes me far less likely to use them in future. I expect it is a more profitable model per transaction but I wonder if it costs them some of the casual business.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was just on the site, they have both a cash and points system in place. In a way it isn't too bad, as you get points for buying cards too (as well as cash or points for selling), which can potentially save you a few future dollars, if you redeem the points for more cards.

·
Registered
404 Posts
We loath gift cards. Prepaid mastercard gift card are a bit more tolerable, but what is the hang up we all have with gifting cash??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts