Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my partner has been purchasing $2 million liability insurance on our car. But we don't have that much! (combined net worth well under 1 million)

Is there any reason to purchase more than our assets?

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Yes, wages could get garnished if someone were found liable. Don't forget that for most young people, their biggest asset is their human capital. I personally have a $2m liability on the car insurance.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Yes. I have 2 million liability too.

Even if I had 2 mil in assets...I would rather keep my assets and use the ins to payout in the event of liability for accident/injury.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
As Canadian Capitalist and rookie888 have pointed out, your net worth should not be the determining factor. Having said that, the Insurance Brokers Assoc. of Ontario does say the "usually recommended" amount for Ontario is $1M (which is 5x the legally required minumum by the way.)

http://www.ibao.com/html/consumers/auto/liability_coverage.aspsay

However, in looking at my records I realize I've had this $1M coverage on both my car and home policies for more then 20 years, so it's probably time to upgrade.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Hi:

Well, your net worth is quite irrelevant. All insurance does is pay out the first X dollars of a judgement, in this case 2 million. If the judgement is for 2.5 million, your current net worth gets torpedoed by 500 thousand.

hboy43

·
Registered
201 Posts
In Manitoba our Gov't run insurance gives us only 4 choices (200K, 1M, 2M or 5M). Under this system a general rule of thumb is to carry as much 3rd party liability as you can reasonably afford. This year I moved up from 2M to 5M, although I have well under 1M in assets. The change will cost me an extra $17 per year, which I believe I can "reasonably afford".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts