Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I together with my son bought a building lot in 2009 (joint title). My son built a house on the lot as his primary residence. He now plans to sell the house. I can sell him my half of the land so he has full title before he sells. I can expect to pay capital gains on my share of the land, but am I also exposed to capital gains on the sale of the house?

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
You’ll bee expect3d to pay capital gains on your half of the property, that would include the improvements such as the house at the time you sell it to your son. When your son sells it, you won’t be on the hook for anything, and he may not be either as it’s primary residence. Then again, I’m not an accountant, so I could be wrong.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I don't think you can separate the land from the property as there is just one common title for ownership of the land.

Did you live there at all? If so you may want to designate it as a principal residence for the exemption on capital gains if it has appreciated more than your other properties. You may want to 'gift ' it to him too. In ON this saves land transfer taxes

1 - 3 of 3 Posts