Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a property up for sale. My accountant figured II’ll have a $70k capital tax bill to pay if it sells.
At the moment, I’m down about $100k in my portfolio (from my original investment) I’m wondering if I sold everything that is non-registered and create a loss, can I use that loss to offset the capital gain from the property? It wont be all the $100k because some of that is in TFSA and RRSP.
I just which I’d thought of this about a month ago when I was down a lot more.
Thank you for any replies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes you can create a capital loss by selling your non registered investments, the loss of which, which can be used to offset the property capital gain. Just remember you must wait 30 days before repurchasing identical investments.
Thank you for your reply
I’m aware of the 30 day rule but I wonder if you might know this.
If I’m in a 60/40 type portfolio that my Advisor has “custom” designed, then I buy Vbal (for example), if vbal has many of the same individual stocks as my custom portfolio, is that ok?
Or, to be even simpler, if I’m in vgro, and sell it for a loss, what happens if I buy vbal. I haven’t looked that closely but I think I read that vbal and vgro have the same stocks but in different proportions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts