Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
Some people always seem to think that everything has to be an either/or question or an absolute 100% answer to an issue.

The question here was about 'smart technology' for guns which control who can actually fire a weapon. It doesn't stop someone who can fire it from killing someone, it doesn't stop someone with a 'non-smart' weapon from killing someone, etc. etc. But it DOES stop that gun from being used by anyone other than the owner.

In other words, it REDUCES the chances of that gun being used to kill someone. It doesn't matter if 99 other guns can be used, it takes that one gun out of the equation. It is ONE step that can be taken to reduce gun crime. It is not the only step and it does not solve the problem 100% but it REDUCES it. Any step that can be taken that reduces gun crime has to be a good thing.

There is NO logical argument against doing it.
The thing about "smart technology" is that it can also prevent the firearm from discharging when needed.

What good is a gun that you can't depend on?

The only people that think "smart guns" are a good idea are those who don't want anyone to have guns in the first place.

The logical reason against "smart guns" is it makes guns unreliable, and puts lives at risk.

I find it interesting that you state there is "no logical argument against it".
This is a typical problem today, people are unable to understand or comprehend that there could be a different point of view.
If you literally can't even appreciate that another point of view could logically exist, you're really unable to have a debate.

Myself I do understand that there are logically and likely well meaning arguments that oppose my opinion. I might not agree with various aspects or their conclusions, but I can recognize that others can have valid and logical opinions that differ from my own.

I think most honest differences in opinion simply come down to differential weighting of the various trade offs that are required for any position.

·
Registered
12,537 Posts
There aren't many instances that someone can use a gun to defend themselves. Canada doesn't have a "stand your ground" law and the legal use of a firearm is very narrow.

My wife sat on a jury for a guy charged with murder after he shot a man breaking down the front door of his home. The intruder was drunk and determined to come inside.

The man charged shot him with a shotgun. The only reason the guy was found not guilty was because he had no back door to his home and no way to retreat.

In most cases a person who shoots someone else is charged with a crime. There are few legal defenses available for shooting someone.

Hunting, target practice and protection against animals is about the only legal use for firearms in Canada.

A shotgun, 22 caliber rifle, large caliber rifle and a air pistol are all that are needed for those activities.

Ban everything else like Japan does.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
They don't enforce the ban we have today.
What makes you think a new ban is going to change anything.

The funny thing is that the lefties who don't want to enforce laws seem to want even more laws.
If we actually enforced laws, and got rid of the multi-crime discount (ie concurrent sentencing), the number of victims would plumment.

You've got to understand the vast majority of crimes is committed by a very small number of scumbags.
If we just kept dangerous criminals in jail, we'd all be better off.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
A shotgun, 22 caliber rifle, large caliber rifle and a air pistol are all that are needed for those activities.

Ban everything else like Japan does.
Let's apply your reasoning to other things. I don't think people who believe that climate change is a threat should be allowed to take vacations that require air travel or own a home larger than 600 square feet. But rather than ban those things for everyone, we'll just ban them for the climate alarmists. If it proves to be viable over a couple decades, then maybe we can roll it out for everyone else.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts