Canadian Money Forum banner

Canadian waiting for green card but working remotely for canadian company

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  AltaRed 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I’m a new member here so thank you for having me and helping me with my situation.
In June 2020 I applied (within the USA) for my work permit and green card marriage based.
my wife and I lived here in the US and I wasn’t working.
In March 2021, while I still didn’t have my US work permit, I started to work for a Canadian company while living here in the USA.
In April 2021, I received my US work permit. I am now looking for a job here in the USA but I’m still working for my Canadian company.
Do I have to terminate my position for the Canadian company? Or can I work remotely until I get a new job here in the US?

I hope it’s clear and I hope someone can help me regarding my questions.
Thanks

#2 ·
I can't imagine you would have to terminate your position, but why don't you ask your HR department to be on the safe side?

I think technically you were breaking the law before you had your green card, because you didn't have a US work permit yet you were in the US, working.

#4 ·
I thought that it was not allowed to work in the US at all as a foreigner regardless of who you work for. When I used to work for a large company I would be sent on business trips to the US fairly frequently. We were always coached to say we were going for meetings, because if we said we were going for work, it would cause issues with immigration. But since you have the green card now, it doesn't matter anymore. :)

#5 ·
We were coached the same way and not untrue either. It was for meetings, conferences or events. The key was to not take work away from American residents that could otherwise been hired to do the job. In the OP's case, the Canadian company wouldn't have been hiring an American to do that work.

Regardless, I agree the OP was skating on thin ice and would most likely been punted from the USA if US immigration 'heard' he was working, even if for a Canadian company.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.