Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it's possible to get a Costco - Visa US$ credit card, if so how? As a snow birder I tried but was quickly turned down, I think because I don't have a US SSN. Costco itself doesn't do the approvals.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
Costco Canada accepts only MasterCard (any one). They used to accept only American Express. I think they have a partnership arrangement for a Capital One Costco Mastercard. But I would be surprised if there was a $US version.

The COSTCO (USA) affiliation with Capital One ended in early 2018. They now have an affiliation with a COSTCO Anywhere Visa card by CITI. But I would assume this is issued by a USA financial institution, and they would not issue one to a non-resident.

According to their web site https://customerservice.costco.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/719/kw/payment. COSTCO in the US should accept any VISA card for payment. So you could get a USD credit card from one of the CDN banks that issues them and use that, but it won't earn you any COSTCO loyalty points.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Costco Canada accepts only MasterCard (any one). They used to accept only American Express. I think they have a partnership arrangement for a Capital One Costco Mastercard. But I would be surprised if there was a $US version.

The COSTCO (USA) affiliation with Capital One ended in early 2018. They now have an affiliation with a COSTCO Anywhere Visa card by CITI. But I would assume this is issued by a USA financial institution, and they would not issue one to a non-resident.

According to their web site https://customerservice.costco.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/719/kw/payment. COSTCO in the US should accept any VISA card for payment. So you could get a USD credit card from one of the CDN banks that issues them and use that, but it won't earn you any COSTCO loyalty points.

Thanks for the response. I'm aware of the Costco - Canada and US credit card history and presently do use a TD Visa US $ card. Just trying to learn if there is some alternative way to get the Costco US$ Visa as a non resident.

I have heard that some banks in the USA will give non residents a CC but it must be pre loaded with $, so it's essentially a debit card. If I could do that and get the Costco US$ Visa I would, as one it's a no charge card and two the rewards are very good.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
You can try to get a ITIN instead of a SSN. There are known methods if you have google skills

Quick search some Canadians are reporting elsewhere online that they got the Costco card without ITIN/SSN. You will always need to provide a US mailing address to acquire a US card but not necessarily a SSN/ITIN, although those certainly help

If you have a TD Bank (USA) Visa then you do have a US credit history (linked to a US address, name, birthday etc)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I think the OP has a Canadian TD US$ Visa from the way he worded his one reply.

Just as an aside the Costco USA stores do accept the Canadian Costco Mastercard ( most stores deny this is true but it does work) but of course this means you pay the ransom on the exchange rates which negates any benefit from the cashback.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Yeah, but should a snowbird really put themselves on IRS radar for the sake of a few COSTCO loyalty points?
Form W-8BEN is as painful as writing your name/address and declares you a Canadian citizen. You can get a ITIN for say your imaginary book that never happens to sell or generate taxable income

I have USA bank accounts and credit cards. Options are much better than what is available in Canada. For telecoms too (including unlimited Cdn roaming..)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Snowbirds tend to spend months in the US legally. It's well know that undocumented people live in US and they have cell phones, go to public school etc..

From what I've heard it's the US credit history that is more important than where you use it. Canadians can get a US credit history without a SSN/ITIN. It requires a US mailing address to be tied to a credit history. I even have a SSN now as a Canadian resident but that required a work visa. You can get an ITIN by saying you might want to sell a book.

Unrestricted capitalism and commissioned employees aren't concerned with nationality especially not Canadians spending winters in US.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.