Canadian Money Forum banner
161 - 180 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
This looks like a new all time high for CNR closing at $118.40. I bought a full position back in Dec at $98.9 and have been holding on. Although 20% in < 3 months is good, the index is up about 16% in the same time, but I'll take it. I don't think I would add here, it's definitely at the top end of my valuation range.

·
Registered
11,972 Posts
It clearly is one of my winners as well. It is riding the wave of strong commodity shipments and of more crude by rail yet to come. I wouldn't add here either and wouldn't be surprised to see it range bound for some time. I am happy to hold indefinitely and clip the dividends.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I have had this stock on my watch list for some time looking for an entry point. Any opinions on if todays closing is looking to be just that (a entry point). Hard to say if it will go much lower but no point in trying to time that. Thanks for any opinions.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have had this stock on my watch list for some time looking for an entry point. Any opinions on if todays closing is looking to be just that (a entry point). .
I started a position at the 114.00 point. It dropped by 10%. If it drops another 10% I'll buy more as it goes down.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
The dividend is almost enough to cover inflation. So, when buying CNR, you have to be looking for growth in stock price. Looking back 20 years, it has certainly grown along with the economy in Canada and USA. CN no doubt also benefited from lack of pipelines. Looking ahead, hard to say what will happen. Every time I look at it, I decide against. Looking back that might have been a mistake. Looking forward. hard to know. Probably OK for those with long investment horizon.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
CNR is still expensive, $90-100 is closer to 16-17 times earnings which is where it was for years. And their growth is lower now than in the past. Under $90 would be a nice discount, although it hasn't been there since 2018.

·
Registered
119 Posts
The dividend is almost enough to cover inflation.
Although the dividend is low, The annual dividend growth rate over the last decade is somewhere around 15%, your yield on cost (as well as total returns) would be quite high over the long run. Not to mention their low divi payout ratio and CN's sharebuybacks...

Long CNR

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
The way the markets are going it may go lower so we will keep an eye on it.
Regards railways.

With the larger economy and markets, Covid-19 fear, political risk and increased threat of terrorism, I think it still a bit pricey.

I do want to pick some up, it really is a good proxy for the resources and agriculture.

·
Registered
21,547 Posts
Bill Gates is the largest shareholder of CN Rail. Now, Bill & Melinda Gates are divorcing. Bill's holding company has already transferred a ton of CNR stock to Melinda, but perhaps more will be transferred to her?

The biggest asset is Cascade Investment, which is run by money manager Michael Larson. Through Cascade, Gates has interests in real estate, energy and hospitality as well as public companies. Canadian National is the third-biggest public equity holding. Cascade transferred 14.1 million shares to Melinda, and has 87.3 million shares, which are owned by Bill, the regulatory filing shows.
So Melinda now has 14.1 million shares, making her a railroad tycoon. Choo choo!

Does this have any implications for CNR?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
At the current closing price would this stock be a decent entry point for adding a new position for holding in this sector. I have been considering NTR (totally different stock in all aspects) but with the recent news that CNR will be the only bidder this may be a good long term hold for a portfolio? Want to invest some cash ($20 -$25K) just sitting around in my non-reg account and put it to work. The Surface Transportation Board in the U.S. still has to approve the aquisition.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
While there is something to be said for buying maybe the only railroad you can, and they aren't making any more of them, they are paying a steep price - close to 40 times earnings. It might take CNR 20 years to pay off the acquisition. That's a long time for the economic situation to change. This is probably a good decision for 20 years from now, but it's much harder to say shorter term.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
It might take CNR 20 years to pay off the acquisition. That's a long time for the economic situation to change. This is probably a good decision for 20 years from now, but it's much harder to say shorter term.
In 20 years the US will have tunnels, hyperloops and autonomous transportation.

Recently sold my CNR and more than doubled the funds since elsewhere

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
In 20 years the US will have tunnels, hyperloops and autonomous transportation.
I can't say I agree with your assessment. Hyperloops, tunnels underground, etc. are a dream that's been around for a long time and I suspect it will remain a dream. You can't put a shovel in the ground today without the pesky environmentalists shutting you down, and it's only going to get worse in that regard.

It's predicted that passenger and freight activity will more than double by 2050. Rail is among the most energy efficient modes of transport for freight and passengers, and the infrastructure is already in place. There is a lot of innovation today in rail, and certainly it's one of the easier systems to automate.

I own both CNR and CP.

ltr

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Hyperloops are already being built in the US and other developed countries

It's actually much better for the environment. CNR and CP trains are an environmental disaster

·
Registered
11,972 Posts
I agree with LTR.

North American railways will be electrified and double/triple tracked long before other Jetson wonky stuff makes any impact whatsoever. Then there will be electrified 18 wheelers as well.

It takes decades just to add simple subway capacity.

161 - 180 of 211 Posts