Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I hold shares, great company all around. If I had to pick the most solid, conservative investment in the TSX this would be it. And Bill Gates is the largest shareholder and recently increased his position.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I own some but wish their div was higher...if share target of $77 is achieved I'll shut up about the div.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I will certainly monitor the price progress all week. Pure gamble: I believe that Bill Gates is an extremely intelligent person as he is a billionaire. He must know what he's doing. Let's say I buy $10,000 stocks at the opening of the stock market. Let's see how it would go. :)

·
Banned
1,939 Posts
I bought 100 shares of cnr last mth,its been down all mth since ive bought it.Im new to investing but everything ive read says railroad stocks are a solid bedrock stock for a portfolio,low competition and as a dividend i think cnr has raised it for 46 yrs?could be wrong.Gotta like that gates is a major holder,cant be bad!Buffet is big on railroad too,standard and poor has a hold on it for now with alot of others,but its technicals says its in a bullish trend and the company forecast news wise is promising.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I bought 100 shares of cnr last mth,its been down all mth since ive bought it.Im new to investing but everything ive read says railroad stocks are a solid bedrock stock for a portfolio,low competition and as a dividend i think cnr has raised it for 46 yrs?could be wrong.Gotta like that gates is a major holder,cant be bad!Buffet is big on railroad too,standard and poor has a hold on it for now with alot of others,but its technicals says its in a bullish trend and the company forecast news wise is promising.
I would not be surprised if it was Buffet who suggested to Gates to buy these stocks.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sorry to hear about that, Donald. Just look long term, it makes things easier to live with. If it goes much higher, you will be glad you kept your stocks. Did you put stop order on it in case the price goes down to a certain level?

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I believe CNR stock history only goes back to privitization in 1995. It has always been a solid performer.

However, I am a bit uncomfortable with how they run the company. Think of all those derailments, including that bad one that killed all the fish in that river in BC or Alberta. And the oil spill in that Alberta lake in the past couple of years. I'm all for efficiency and value but not at any price.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I bought the stock over a year ago [CNI] at just over $50 and now thinking of adding CP.

I think most big investors own such stocks for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
7,256 Posts
Gates already held over 5% back in 2006. I guess he has been buying on the dips since then...looks to be 6% of his portfolio? It is nice to see that rich smart people like buying individual stocks! ;)

·
Banned
602 Posts
I bought 40 shares a couple of weeks ago in my TFSA. I'm looking to add 60 more shares as more funds become available (I've maxed my 2009-2011 contributions, so likely won't happen until January 2012).

I think its a great stock due to consistent earnings (in any market) and solid dividend growth. The dividend yield is low; if you hold the stock for the long-term and CNR continues to increase their dividend the yield will become attractive relative to your purchase price.

As another poster alluded to, Buffet is bullish on railroads in general.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I believe CNR stock history only goes back to privitization in 1995. It has always been a solid performer.

However, I am a bit uncomfortable with how they run the company. Think of all those derailments, including that bad one that killed all the fish in that river in BC or Alberta. And the oil spill in that Alberta lake in the past couple of years. I'm all for efficiency and value but not at any price.
The stock price seems to be derailing these days. (No pun intended)

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
don't forget bill gates once wrote that no one would ever need more than 640K in a pc and he also wrote "the road ahead" which he famously ignored the world wide web, also paul allen has famously failed at several business ventures

my point is not to diss gates but to make the point that there is a huge dose of timing and luck in becoming a billionaire and it doesn't necessarily make you prescient

having said that i would love to know who picked railroads first or did they arrive at the same time: gates or buffet

it seems to me that for a long term play, railroads are a pretty good bet simply due to carrying capacity per unit of fuel which is very high

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Both Buffet and Gates are now diversifying.
There was a time when BRK had less than a dozen stocks total.
Not any more.
Also given the gigantic size of their portfolios, even a 1% investment in a company will make market moving news.
They are both now investing into stable and reliable companies and appear to be favoring stability over growth.
And of course it helps that both gentlemen are long time friends, play bridge together and one of them is donating all of his wealth to the other's charity

·
Banned
1,939 Posts
Taxsaver,i bought cnr for a core holding as a steady safe conservative growth stock,did not put any stops on it,but i monitor it and will sell a portion if something dramatic would happen,but i think its unlikely,its a defensive stock.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I really wish the best in the wonderful investment world! We may sometimes lose money, but it's always interesting and exciting. I take a loss as the price to pay for the excitement. Since I made my first investment (gold and silver), my brain has gone in overdrive. I talk and think only of money and investment! My co-workers and friend must be a bit tired of hearing me. However, I got some of them interested in managing their RRSP portfolio we have with our company. It's incredible how clueless most of my co-workers are about it! And I like it when they ask my advice. I can go the extra mile and help them with their RRSP. Several obtained a User ID and a password to take control of their finances.

·
Banned
1,939 Posts
I hear you! i was drifting around the dark,everytime i went into my bank and sat down with my advisor at my bank,every time i went in there or was called for a review it felt like two dummies sitting across from one another(me and my advisor lol).The signed plastered on the wall asking how am i doing ect,the standard charts of compund interest and everything.I may very well underperform investing myself,but like you,i like the idea of making my decisions,only time will tell,it was a big step for me to switch to self-directed,just hope i aint buying at market tops...i still do have some growth funds inside my rrsp i have not sold off,and i do know ive got a crap load to learn.

·
Registered
437 Posts
When you are like me, inexperienced and a novice in investment, it is important that you don't stay alone. That's why I'm here and in other discussion boards. I am extremely grateful to all those who helped me. Some people told me things on other boards that would have made others leave. But I put my ego aside. I knew the advice that was given to me was for my own good. I prefer to get great advise in a rude manner than getting bad advise with a smile. :D

·
Banned
1,939 Posts
Agreed! some people get brusied like a orange,i too dont mind if someone would take a swipe at me and or correct me if im not seeing things clear,be interesting cnr reports there earnings today...shall see what happens.

1 - 20 of 211 Posts