Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
... What I am wondering about is how they can take a $7.5 million dollar settlement and divide it by what should amount to around 500 million people, and somehow we all eventually get $15.

Anyone else thought about this problem in math. I am wondering if it is a scam. Perhaps to get email addresses. Not sure. Even a grade 4 math graduate should have been able to figure out this was not going to work out ...
Canadians bought 500 million mowers *in Canada* (assuming one person/business buys one mower over the time frame)?

I would expect it's more like $7.5 million divided by 35+ million. The 35+ million would be further reduced as not everyone would be old enough to be buying in the time frame.
Some won't be aware of it, no matter what the advertising / news articles. Some won't be bothered to find receipts and likely may decide not to file. Some will think it's a scam.

If people are like me ... mowers last a long time so many may be like MP in post # 11 where the time line does not match and despite the no documentation option, won't file a claim. I suspect I am in the same situation but am checking my records.

Edit:
There are also people like my folks and my neighbour who buy mowers used so they are not likely to count.
Several neighbours have a service cutting their lawns so a couple of mowers may be covering many properties that have no need to buy one.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Canadians bought 500 million mowers *in Canada* (assuming one person/business buys one mower over the time frame)?

I would expect it's more like $7.5 million divided by 35+ million. The 35+ million would be further reduced as not everyone would be old enough to be buying in the time frame.
There was no requirement to have bought a mower except they said so. No proof is required. That is quite odd. I can understand how hard providing proof would be, but without it, you could easily get 500 million responses.

Anyway, if it is a scam they are probably the most patient scammers I know. Most would want to send the email I warned about within a week. So perhaps it is not a scam. Never hurts to be aware. I definitely would not use the "email transfer" method of payment. The downside is just not worth the $15 upside.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
If 500 million responses were received then it looks to me that the part in the distribution protocol document about detecting fraudulent or unusual activity would be triggered. There's no indication in my quick reading of what notification/remedies may be. As I say, with how long my mowers have lasted, it seems reasonable that 500 million responses would be suspect for a population of about 29 million to 35 million, triggering a review.

Basically the no proof required seems like it is somewhat equivalent to having a per diem instead of having to provide detailed receipts. Other class action lawsuits like the TV/CRT one have had a similar no proof setup.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I don't deny that but good luck with fixing it. They should have known how it would turn out in advance, so that is why I suspect fraud. It is also possible that they are just stupid. I tend to assume people know more then they do. It is something I should try to adjust in my thinking, but it is hard.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
If it not fixable - more than this one suit will have problems.

Without reading through the documents, it is hard to say what they may or may not have on the books to deal with it.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Well, I know I said I would refrain. Perhaps that was just a ruse to throw others off the scent, in hope that no one else would claim and I'd get the full $7.5 million. But then, I did offer to assign my right to claim to STech. I guess I decided to make my own claim when that offer was not taken up.

So yesterday, mirabile dictu, lo, there in my mailbox, was a cheque for just shy of $70, drawn on BNS Toronto, from:

A bit short of $7.5 million, but shrewdly invested, maybe it will grow to that.

Karma points go to STech for my new found wealth. Along came this injection of capital, just as I was starting to feel sorry for myself for not qualifying for any of the many Trudeau handouts in the name of COVID-19.

It was a calculated business decision. Keep it to myself, and get an extra $0.95, or spread the word and get multiple karma points :)

·
Registered
669 Posts
I got $160 and change......I totally forgot where I learned of the lawsuit so didn’t think to mention it here. Thanks for informing us!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks S Tech. Got a cheque for $69.44 this week. I've done a few of these class actions over the years. They are usually ~$20.00 so this one felt particularly good.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
You're welcome everyone. Don't spend it all in one place :)

Sorry to those who thought it was a scam and didn't claim, looks like our share of the pie grew because of it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Most people probably applied using the simplified form. I filed a standard form, which required additional documentation - proof of purchase, photos, proof of horsepower, etc. I did so for a walk behind and a lawn tractor. It seems we're all getting roughly 4 times what was anticipated.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Most people probably applied using the simplified form. I filed a standard form, which required additional documentation - proof of purchase, photos, proof of horsepower, etc. I did so for a walk behind and a lawn tractor. It seems we're all getting roughly 4 times what was anticipated.
Even so, not fair. I want more. I want a recount. I want an audit, a public inquiry, a Royal Commission. I want...justice. With costs!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts