Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if there is a Canadian high yield non bond ETF or mutual fund?
i'm looking for something that holds high yield corporations, trusts, REITs etc. such as YLO and some high yield REITs yielding > 7% at least.
not XRE or XTR.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about the RBC Canadian Index fund?
that's not what i meant by high yield.
that holds all the large cap canadian companies and the yield would be barely 4% if that
i am looking for a non bond high yield fund that comprises of smaller corporations, trusts, REITs, etc. that provide yields greater than 7% at least

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
true but there are many others there esp in the small to mid cap sector.
cosnider for example YLO and STB
i'm hoping there is an etf or fund that tracks such.
it is possible to build your own but requires you to locate research and trade dozens of stocks.

·
Registered
12,753 Posts
Don't chase yield in common shares. It ends in tears.

If you need more income from a portfolio, set up a systematic withdrawal plan.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm certainly aware of the risk of chasing yields.
but this will be a very small portion of my portfolio which is also why i'm looking for an etf and not building it on my own.
i don't like a high yield bond fund because of overvaluations right now even in the junk bonds.

if such etf does not exist, can someone post their top picks for high yield stocks?
I have 2 so far: YLO and STB

·
Registered
12,753 Posts
YLO may be high yielding now, but expect dividend cuts. That's basically what the market is telling you when you see high yield stocks--they're not really high yielding going forward.

·
Banned
602 Posts
i'm certainly aware of the risk of chasing yields.
but this will be a very small portion of my portfolio which is also why i'm looking for an etf and not building it on my own.
i don't like a high yield bond fund because of overvaluations right now even in the junk bonds.

if such etf does not exist, can someone post their top picks for high yield stocks?
I have 2 so far: YLO and STB
YLO has EPS of $0.22 against an $0.80 annual dividend.

STB has EPS of $0.06 against an annual dividend of $0.56. Here's a quote from their CEO when reporting their annual income in September.

Denis Gallagher, chairman and CEO of Student Transportation, said: "Our fiscal 2010 operating performance and financial results were the best in our company's 14-year history. The operating results for the year were extremely strong and validate the steady, predictable revenue and cash flow positions of the company. Revenues increased 17% and earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, amortization and rent (EBITDAR) increased 25.6%.
Source: http://www.tradingmarkets.com/news/stock-alert/stuxf_student-transportation-reports-annual-income-1189938.html

In STB's best year, their earnings were 1/9th of dividends? I would question the sustainability of both of those dividends. When buying dividend stocks, I make sure the company has sufficient cashflow to pay the dividend.

·
Banned
137 Posts
The problem is I have seen some companies that are able to do this year in and year out, ie paying the DPS higher than the EPS. They are still standing till today. What gives ?::rolleyes:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah i know those facts about YLO and STB.
i'm not looking to buy and hold such stocks through thick and thin.
btw I found two more: DHF.UN and CFN
the latter was interestingly mentioned yesterday on this forum.
looks like i'm not the only one looking for these hidden gems.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts