Canadian Money Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
@Longtimeago It is difficult try and be 'personal' for people you don't know especially right now. Food is usually always a good thing, but a get together of any sort is challenging.

I would like to offer an alternative suggestion of Girl Guide cookies as thank you gift. I will fully disclose that I am leader for my kids units and am actively involved with the organization. Millions of boxes of cookies were in transit for sale right when COVID hit. Girl Guides Canada stopped all activities including cookie sales. Many leaders and volunteers had to receive their cookies and they are currently sitting in people homes because we cannot sell them retail wise or do our normal door to door campaigns. I personally know of leaders that have thousands of boxes of cookies in there homes waiting. There have been some very kind stores that have been selling cookies on our behalf (Canadian Tire, Sobeys, London Drugs). Due to safety, many of these cookies were the ones that were in transit (so no touching by anyone). That still leaves units that had already received their cookies, and cannot sell them. There are tens of thousand of girls that use these programs not including the thousands of volunteer leaders. The amount of good they do in the community is staggering and what they learn in these programs are amazing. Right now, there are units that are not sure how they are going to run in the fall, they have thousands of dollars inventory, and cookies is the main source of funds for the units.

Most people are quite found of Girl Guides and their cookies. There have been many requests in my area for cookies to be dropped off (by a responsible leader) to different organizations as thank yous. So far the response has been very positive from any of the receivers. It's a win-win-win for everyone. The receivers get a nice treat, the givers get to know they are helping the community, giving something that helps locals, and it supports the girls in the community. Depending on the leaders, I know I have had special requests if I can get one of my girls to write a little card or thank you.

That's my pitch on girl guide cookies. I am sure I could help you locate a unit wherever in Canada you are. For $600, you could buy a 120 boxes (10 cases) and give each person a few, and keep some for yourself.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think that is a perfect example of virtue signalling LTA. Be more humble, take the money and use it for what it was intended. Senior stuff!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
@Longtimeago It is difficult try and be 'personal' for people you don't know especially right now. Food is usually always a good thing, but a get together of any sort is challenging.

I would like to offer an alternative suggestion of Girl Guide cookies as thank you gift. I will fully disclose that I am leader for my kids units and am actively involved with the organization. Millions of boxes of cookies were in transit for sale right when COVID hit. Girl Guides Canada stopped all activities including cookie sales. Many leaders and volunteers had to receive their cookies and they are currently sitting in people homes because we cannot sell them retail wise or do our normal door to door campaigns. I personally know of leaders that have thousands of boxes of cookies in there homes waiting. There have been some very kind stores that have been selling cookies on our behalf (Canadian Tire, Sobeys, London Drugs). Due to safety, many of these cookies were the ones that were in transit (so no touching by anyone). That still leaves units that had already received their cookies, and cannot sell them. There are tens of thousand of girls that use these programs not including the thousands of volunteer leaders. The amount of good they do in the community is staggering and what they learn in these programs are amazing. Right now, there are units that are not sure how they are going to run in the fall, they have thousands of dollars inventory, and cookies is the main source of funds for the units.

Most people are quite found of Girl Guides and their cookies. There have been many requests in my area for cookies to be dropped off (by a responsible leader) to different organizations as thank yous. So far the response has been very positive from any of the receivers. It's a win-win-win for everyone. The receivers get a nice treat, the givers get to know they are helping the community, giving something that helps locals, and it supports the girls in the community. Depending on the leaders, I know I have had special requests if I can get one of my girls to write a little card or thank you.

That's my pitch on girl guide cookies. I am sure I could help you locate a unit wherever in Canada you are. For $600, you could buy a 120 boxes (10 cases) and give each person a few, and keep some for yourself.
No offense intended Plugging Along but I personally do not like GG Cookies and never have. While I will buy a box if a GG shows up at my door (none ever has in our present home), I just throw them in the garbage unopened.

I also don't see it as an answer in that I estimate there are probably around 35-40 potential recipients over which I am looking at distributing around $600+ The 6 from the government handout and maybe a bit more from my pocket if a particularly good idea was going to cost us a bit more than that. So that's at least $15 per person. I can't imagine them all being thankful for 3 boxes each of GG cookies.

So while I appreciate your 'pitch', I'm afraid my answer is, 'no sale'.

I should also add that I do see it as being a bit more personal in that being a small town and a small Foodland, we do 'know' most of the staff simply through repeated contact with them. Not on a first name basis but as recognizable to each other even to the point of saying hello, etc. when we pass on the street.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I think that is a perfect example of virtue signalling LTA. Be more humble, take the money and use it for what it was intended. Senior stuff!
Well I had to look up 'virtual signalling' Zipper as that was a new term for me. I can see how you might see it as that but showing thanks rather than just saying thanks is something that my parents taught me and that I have tried to teach to my children from an early age. I have been in the habit of showing my thanks since I was a youngster. It's not something I am writing about on social media just to 'show others I am a good person'.

Nowadays, I think people are lucky if they even get a thank you card for a wedding present but that is not how I was brought up. For example when my dentist did an emergency repair for me without an appointment in advance and in her lunch hour, I felt I should not just pay my bill but also show her I appreciated her and so I had flowers delivered the next day. When my wife was in for a regular check up a few weeks later, the staff were all saying to her how surprised they were by the flowers arriving and how much the dentist appreciated being SHOWN she was appreciated.

I really do believe there is a huge difference between just saying thank you and showing your thanks.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
No offense intended Plugging Along but I personally do not like GG Cookies and never have. While I will buy a box if a GG shows up at my door (none ever has in our present home), I just throw them in the garbage unopened.

I also don't see it as an answer in that I estimate there are probably around 35-40 potential recipients over which I am looking at distributing around $600+ The 6 from the government handout and maybe a bit more from my pocket if a particularly good idea was going to cost us a bit more than that. So that's at least $15 per person. I can't imagine them all being thankful for 3 boxes each of GG cookies.

So while I appreciate your 'pitch', I'm afraid my answer is, 'no sale'.

I should also add that I do see it as being a bit more personal in that being a small town and a small Foodland, we do 'know' most of the staff simply through repeated contact with them. Not on a first name basis but as recognizable to each other even to the point of saying hello, etc. when we pass on the street.
No offense at all. To be honest, my kids and I don't love the sandwiches cookies but eat them (they just aren't our favorite). On a side note, if you are in situation where you want to support the girls but don't want the cookies, you can just give them the donation. You can specify how you want your cookies donated, eat them (the girls love this), give them to someone else/food back, do what you want. etc. This way the cookies don't go to waste, and the units really appreciate it.

Another suggesting - Could you come up with little ‘gift bags’ for them? This will it will be a little more challenging. I think of this as an equivalent to the thank yous my give for Xmas and year end coaches, leaders, bus drivers, nursing home staff, all those that support and provide extra for the year for my family and mother. We target about $15-20 but the items are usually worth about $25-30 we do about 30-40 packages at school end, and about 100 people at Xmas.

Past packages have included items of the following:
  • ‘bulk gourmet’ items that I am able to separate out. Examples I have included, boxes of teas, coffees, jams, locally made items gourmet baked goods, local honeys
  • Reusable coffee/tea cups, reusable straws, etc I usually theme all of my gift bags
  • Homemade baked goods (we are know to make some gourmet items so that always gets included)
  • Girl guide cookies or a small gift card
  • Items that we buy as a part of local fundraisers (usually chocolates)
I won't lie, it takes us a lot of work to do this but that is how we have kept things more 'personal' for people we may not know that well.

Our end of school year plan we have planned out (even with isolation, on-line activities): It's self care while at home includes:
- Assortment of teas, coffee, a reusable plastic cup, with a homemade crochets cup holder (my daughter's isolation activity), gourmet snacks (short bread, biscotti, little packages of candy, etc), homemade hot chocolate/coffee spoons,

Once we determine and our source items, it's really quick to put them together. You can simplify to want you want, but we try to make ours more personal. Gift cards are always appreciated and fast.

Another thought that popped in my head. If you want to stay with the lunch idea but a little more special than the grocery deli/bakery idea. You could contact a local restaurant and have them do a curbside pick up for the volunteers. Have a few options, see create a voucher for the volunteers to pick up over a couple of days. It' a little more personal than a gift card, volunteers can choose to go together if that's how that want it, helps a local business, much easier to put together than the gift bags.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
It's going to take some thought to find something that will appeal to all I guess. When I think of your 'gift bag'' idea, it sounds good if I say it fast enough but then I think of gift baskets I have received and they always seem to contain as many items I don't like as they do items I do like.

Given our current heat wave (real feel 37C here today), the idea of good quality wicking(not cotton) t-shirts popped into my head. Maybe I could think of something witty to have printed on them to do with being Covid Heroes. But then I would need to know how many of each size to buy.

'I fight Covid-19 daily for you'.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Maybe you could stock up on a supply of Depends with your senior's bonus and pass them on to the less fortunate.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts