Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Administrator
5,457 Posts
You can argue that you can do almost everything on-line/credit cards/debit, etc. The key is ALMOST.
With cash on the decline it no longer makes sense to add support for it. Sure you might come into the situation where cash is needed and it'll be an inconvience for a small percentage to get it but I don't see a money making business model to support that.

·
Administrator
5,457 Posts
It probably depends on your location, which is why the focus would be on the rural areas. And ever since the Roger's outage, I think more people are going to consider carrying some cash for those emergencies.
I just don't see the business model for such a niche market. People should always carry some cash for emergencies situations or when going out to remote areas. For remote areas why not bring back the old credit card swiper machines?

·
Administrator
5,457 Posts
Got it, so you and @AltaRed don't think it's worth the trouble. I don't think there's anything else to discuss then.
As was mentioned, if they could show a profitable business model for it, sure. Like if they had an agreement with a bank that would flip the bill (basically pay CP for their retail space,training,etc) in exchange for remote access ... that might work.

I'll just mention that if you're talking about those old carbon copy type credit card machines, I doubt you'll be able to find them around. The other thing is that it seems that credit cards are getting away from those embossed cards and just print the credit numbers on the back of the card. For example, the new Costco card.
View attachment 23522
lol, I forgot about the new Costco cards. In any case, I'm sure they could come up with a better way now to do an "offline" purchase either with the existing terminals or a smartphone app.

·
Administrator
5,457 Posts
I personally can't come up with the business plan; however, here's an older report from CCPA (2013), which outlines some models that could be used, compared to some models used in other countries: https://policyalternatives.ca/sites/default/files/uploads/publications/National Office/2013/10/Why_Canada_Needs_PostalBanking.pdf.
Sure if you want to dismiss it out of hand because it's published by CCPA, as it has a left-wing bias, go ahead. But it's worth looking at. It may be old, but I doubt the situation has fundamentally changed, nor has bank access increased.
Skimmed through it, reads more like high level promotional material.

That document may be a place to start but you really need a business plan with ROI figures based on what they actually plan to roll out for services. Like if they wanted to roll out fee based "humanized interac service" for cash withdrawals/deposits to all the major banks for remote Post Offices, that might be good. First off see if the banks will eat all or some of the fees themselves in exchange for the expanded reach.

·
Administrator
5,457 Posts
Anyone who currently lives, or has lived in a rural community including myself, knows that up to 100km (or one hour) of travel is not an excessive amount of travel for any basic services. Rural folk have been doing that for decades.
Often over 200kms one way for some people I know, that's the way one lives in remote areas. Would local bank access help them any when they already have to travel for just basic supplies?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts