Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
What are people's thoughts about Canada Post getting into banking? They only shut it down in the 1960s in Canada, and it's still being done in other countries, namely Japan.
I think it's a good idea to improve accessibility.
I think it's a bad idea to expand into a losing business.

Reason why I'm curious is that there are obviously underserved communities, and more recently, Scotiabank is pulling out of Grand Manan: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/grand-manan-scotiabank-ferry-blacks-harbour-1.6539874
So if Scotiabank knows that it isn't worth operating a branch, why would anyone build a branch there?
I think some sort of hybrid model might help, which is how many Canadapost "branches" work in such communities.
But there is a big difference between a convenience store clerk getting a package and providing financial services.

..and given the fact that postal offices are everywhere, it doesn't seem to have that much of an added burden.
I think it will be a HUGE burden and not work.
This is a money pit.

I don't want my tax dollars subsidizing this.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
It is primarily that Cainvest and I don't see the business model to make postal banking work. Who is going to pay for the application, operation and management of it?

If you can come up with a plausible business plan, I am willing to listen.
If there was a business plan, then they wouldn't need the postal unions pushing it.

What services beyond an ATM and maybe supervised notarized paperwork are actually needed.
Maybe deposting hard to scan checks?

Seeing as I haven't physically been in a bank other than to deposit checks that wont' scan in 2+ years, I don't see the problem.

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
The TD/CP concept is what we have been discussing on the deposit side with the likes of a Tangerine or Simplii, but there has to be a business model for it to pay
That's the problem, they want CP to do it for free/low cost.
That $10/month service charge they don't want to pay wouldn't even cover 2 staff with very limited hours in a small branch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts