Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a reminder that CERB applications are being accepted this week. Log in via CRA's My Account for Individuals and there is a link through there. This is for people who are not currently using EI. To be eligible, you must have had more than $5000 employment income in the previous year, and stopped working / had income stop for at least 14 days:
Canada Emergency Response Benefit - Canada.ca

In other words this is for people who were employed last year, had to stop working due to the virus, and are not on EI.

I just submitted my application. I'm a small business owner (consultant) who had income loss due to COVID-19. When the outbreak started, I was travelling, and was forced to quarantine and isolate. I was not able to work for several weeks for various associated reasons, such as my European partners going into lockdown and stopping payments.

·
Registered
16,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m curious what the application process is like and how the govt is policing it. Is there any proof-checking?
The application is a series of forms and declarations that are completed through the CRA portal. That part was pretty easy, you read and agree to the criteria.

Since CRA administers this, I assume they will check the data against existing tax records. For example I'm sure they would deny you if you don't have the qualifying employment income. Though, people haven't filed 2019 taxes yet, so CRA can't really know (yet) that you had income last year.

One abuse I can imagine are people who are unemployed, but pretend they are self-employed just to get CERB's free money. I would think CRA could easily confirm that the 2020 tax filing shows employment income from business activities.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Wonder what the student benefits will be once they’re rolled out....and will high schoolers benefit.

My son accepted a lifeguarding job in early March for this summer. Assuming the pool doesn’t open at all, he’d be out about $6000. He doesn’t “need” the money per se to live and eat, but he’s pretty bummed....as there was considerable time, effort and money spent to become accredited. He cut lawns last year but only made about $1500. Is there any benefit to him filing a return for 2019?

·
Registered
16,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear that. No question he has suffered income loss due to COVID-19.

If he only made $1500 in the previous 12 months, it doesn't sound like he would qualify for CERB based on the $5000 minimum threshold.

I think it does make sense to file a tax return anyway. This program is changing as we speak and it's possible the minimum thresholds could change as well. I also think that as the crisis continues, the government may have to pay unconditional amounts to everyone. It's good to get your son filing taxes so that he's in the records.

·
Registered
698 Posts
You have to be 15 if you actually read the terms...
Do you have a source to reference.....the two I’ve found say 19.

are there other benefits besides GST rebate and Workers Benefit he may be eligible for?

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
Do you have a source to reference.....the two I’ve found say 19.

are there other benefits besides GST rebate and Workers Benefit he may be eligible for?

·
Registered
922 Posts
I was laid off in Mid march due to COVID-19 with one days notices. The CERB pays me more than I did when working, I do realize it is taxable and will receive a T4A likely next spring to add to my previous income when filing taxes but makes you wonder that for some its more but for many its likely less. No perfect solution for the 4 months its scheduled to run. I will return to work when they can take me back. There are only 4 of us working at that church as full time staff, I am the lowest paid (hourly) and laid off the other 3 are on salary and still being paid. They still do some work but not near what they used to do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts