Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 60 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
14,045 Posts
Interim PC leader Rona Ambrose said today there is $1 Billion for Alberta that wasn't spent by the Harper government and she thinks that should be sent immediately.

When times are tough, balanced budget ideology and a toonie will buy a Tim Horton coffee.

Run Forrest Run.............er..........Spend Justin Spend !!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
How did Canada end up with a Prime Minister who -

- never really held a job until he was 41 (and then worked as a substitute teacher)
- lived off of a trust fund (family inherited money) invested in numbered companies
- education is a BA (literature and drama major)
- was at best a mediocre student who dropped out of more programs than he completed. Justin studied engineering (dropped out - probably could not make the grade) and then studied Environmental Geography (unfinished)

It is very scary to believe that an individual with these qualifications is running our economy and making major financial decisions for the country

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
We had one before him that never had a for profit job or even practiced as a real economist. His name was Stephen Harper.

And are you saying that you have factual information about the PM's personal financial affairs is this purely conjecture on your part?
I certainly do not.

Fortunately, except for the previous PM, we currently have a PM who believes in the team approach. Getting the best talent possible and actually letting them talk. I hear that sales of duct tape in Ottawa are significantly down since Harper was punted.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Canada cant afford the bankers profits. The compounding of interest is going into the bankers pockets. If roads, bridges etc need to be built borrow from the tax payer with no interest charged to tax payers.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
We had one before him that never had a for profit job or even practiced as a real economist. His name was Stephen Harper.

And are you saying that you have factual information about the PM's personal financial affairs is this purely conjecture on your part?
I certainly do not.

Fortunately, except for the previous PM, we currently have a PM who believes in the team approach. Getting the best talent possible and actually letting them talk. I hear that sales of duct tape in Ottawa are significantly down since Harper was punted.
FWIW

http://o.canada.com/news/justin-tru...-inheritance-and-successful-speaking-business

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

I certainly do not.

Pierre Trudeau inherited a share of his father’s money, split with his own siblings. Later in life, he prepared to portion it out to his sons.
The boys were given shares in 90562 Canada Inc., the federal corporation that held Trudeau’s portfolio of securities, managed by Montreal investment firm Jarislowsky Fraser.
The succession plans were set up to transfer the company’s assets to the Trudeau sons over time, to guard against the possibility the money would vanish in a spending binge in their wild 20s. This scheduled transfer concludes only when Justin reaches age 45 in 2016.
In 2010, the holdings in Pierre Trudeau’s original numbered company were “butterflied” and split into separate companies.
Justin’s company, had assets worth $1,242,522 as of August 2011, according to a statement prepared by accounting firm BDO.
Of this amount, $958,154 was held in short-term investments and $255,455 in cash.
The Trudeaus are also beneficiaries of another numbered company that receives royalties from their father’s autobiography and other sources — about $10,000 a year, Trudeau estimates.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Is there something inherently wrong with having money or inheriting money.

I would guess that there are many people whose parents own homes in Toronto or Vancouver are set to inherit million dollar plus estates. Does this bar them from political office or should we only allow those from humble backgrounds run for public office?

My son is a high school teacher. He will inherit a similar amount or more when we die. Have we ruined any aspirations he may have of running for public service?

·
Registered
622 Posts
What tarnished image??? Just because you hated Harper doesn't mean that the rest of the world did.

Canada's reputation takes top spot in international survey - CBC News - Jul 16, 2015

Obviously most of Canada disliked Harper as well based on the election results.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...world-influence-has-declined/article26556418/

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/15/stephen-harper-master-manipulator

In 2010, Canada and the Conservative government were humbled when it lost out in voting to win a temporary seat at the UN Security Council, a failure critics blamed on the Tories’ unflinching support for Israel, its reduction in the number of African countries receiving aid and what they called its foot-dragging approach to fighting climate change.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Canada's image is only tarnished among dictators and terrorists. Neither Vietnam nor Indonesia are among the poorest countries in the world.
No, things like ignoring climate change and gagging government scientists tarnish Canada's image. Here is a list:

Other hallmarks of the past decade?
Spurning progressive diplomatic or developmental initiatives of any description
Sidelining the public service and imposing drastic reductions to international capacity through cuts to DFATD, CIC, science-based departments and agencies, and international NGOs
Centralizing, controlling and censoring all international communications, while concentrating decision-making in the PMO
Failing to win election to the UN Security Council, while opting for a photo-op at Tim Horton’s over attending the UN General Assembly
Refusing to attend multilateral meetings, and rejecting or withdrawing from a variety of international agreements
Bungling Canada’s relationship with the Asia-Pacific region, the rising centre of the world political economy
Adopting a highly skewed set of policy positions on issues involving, variously, Iran, Israel, the Palestinians, and issues of Middle East peace
Shuttering the Pearson Peacekeeping Centre, the Canadian Centre for Human Rights and Democratic Development, and North-South Institute
Withdrawing Canada from the Kyoto Protocol, while promoting the tarsands, pipelines, resource and extractive industries
Pursuing free trade and promoting commercial and corporate interests at public expense
The Harper government’s record of contempt for Parliament, due process (Afghan detainee hearings) and civil liberties (Bill C-51) is exceeded only by its contempt for diplomacy and multilateralism.

·
Registered
622 Posts
OTTAWA -- Call it Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's secret stash. A new report from CIBC World Markets says Canada's federal and provincial governments could reap as much as $5 billion annually in tax revenues from the sale of legal marijuana.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Is there something inherently wrong with having money or inheriting money.

I would guess that there are many people whose parents own homes in Toronto or Vancouver are set to inherit million dollar plus estates. Does this bar them from political office or should we only allow those from humble backgrounds run for public office?

My son is a high school teacher. He will inherit a similar amount or more when we die. Have we ruined any aspirations he may have of running for public service?

i recall that a couple of years ago, trudeau's office-in-waiting released his private wealth or "blind trust" statement. It showed a net worth that was surprisingly low, about $1 million CAD. This was all that was left from the small fortune amassed by the entrepreneurial car-dealer grandfather. The financial manager was the montreal firm of jarislowsky, fraser.

i also recall that, when Justin was first elected to ottawa as MP for papineau riding, his 2 small children stayed behind & continued to live in montreal with their mother, for the simple reason that the young family could not afford to buy a 2nd home in ottawa until they had managed to sell their first house in outremont.

other prime ministers - brian mulroney & paul martin for example - have been far wealthier. All were beneficiaries of blind trusts, ie private trusts that were blinded & made public when the beneficiaries first ran for political office.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I think politicians should have to make public there credit score along with info if they have declared bankruptcy & or in debt before they run for office. If they are over spending in their private lives how will be able to balance the budget of the country ?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
No, things like ignoring climate change and gagging government scientists tarnish Canada's image. Here is a list:

Failing to win election to the UN Security Council,.
Looking at the plot showing Canada's greenhouse gas emissions, one sees straight away that Harper and Harper alone is responsible for all emissions. greenhouse-gas-emmissions.jpg

Then let's see who is in the Security Council:

- Angola
- Egypt
- Venezuela
- Malaysia
- Senegal
Not to mention wonderful democracies of China and Russia. Then we have Saudi Arabia chairing UN Human Rights Council.

Frankly, not being elected to a UN club is a badge of honour.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
The people responsible for excess CO2 emissions are not Canadians...it is the people of the world that buy and use our oil. Of course that would be inconvenient for fools like DiCaprio to admit.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
What is wasteful about helping the poor? I am all for this. Time to clean up Canada's tarnished image.
Social programs to turn the poor into leaches to live off the productive is going to solve nothing. Kings from years ago never had it as good as the poor today.

·
Registered
14,045 Posts
I thought Trudeau got out of the gate pretty well. He quickly got the government going on the Syrian refugee project and there was a short flurry of achievements.......tax cut for middle wage earners and abandoning legal appeals to the SCC.

But lately, it seems to have bogged down in a somewhat continuing conversation of "we will discuss it with our partners, work with the Provinces, set up a committee" on almost everything.

From changes to unemployment rules to marijuana legalization to pipeline issues to doctor assisted suicide to the TPP to expansion of the CPP to changing pardons to CPP expansion ...............it is a growing list of items being shunted off almost on a daily basis for later consideration. A government can get mired down in "consensus seeking".........as the Obama administration found itself doing.

The government will get away with some of it, but as economic conditions deteriorate.........I would have to agree with Kevin O'Leary, if the government fails to act promptly their support will fade quickly.

This is especially true as Thomas Muldair, an early choice for Canadians during the election who faded later, drills the government every day on economic issues.

Voters will start to think..........maybe we should have stuck with the NDP instead of moving to the Liberals.

Trudeau needs to light a fire under his Cabinet Ministers to come up with at least temporary solutions on such things as unemployment insurance. The government could add a temporary "top up", extend benefits, or eliminate the 2 week waiting period on an emergency basis without a year of consulting with the Provinces. If they need help setting it up, they can consult with the Unifor union who have a "sub" program already set up that does exactly that.

It wouldn't hurt for Trudeau to stick to his knitting, and concentrate on the problems at home, setting trips outside of Canada to one side for awhile.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Jughead Trudeau is all about self gratification. He is Prime Minister "Selfie". To date he has jet set around the world giving out tax payer's hard earned money like it was candy. How much will implementing every one of the 94 Truth and Reconciliation Committee recommendations cost Canadian tax payers.

In his first 4 months as Prime Minister he has already handed out billions - none of which will stimulate the Canadian economy one bit. The Canadian economy is headed down the toilet but all he concerns himself with is photo ops. There is only so much money to go around and so far this lad has proven that he will be a spend thrift. I think Jughead will prove to be a one term wonder and then will go back to living off of grampa's trust fund invested in numbered companies.

41 - 60 of 150 Posts