Canadian Money Forum banner
161 - 180 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Where do you see the demand coming from? Medical?

Do you think demand for nuclear power will increase given recent trends?
i'm not sure what you mean by "recent trends" but it does seem clear that the waste generated by nuclear power, problematic though it may be, is less problematic than the warming that may be occuring as a result of burning fossil fuels for power

france has been getting 2/3 of it's power from nukes for a long time with a very good safety record

i think it is gradually being seen as the lesser of 2 evils and the demand will surely kick in someday, when that will be is another question

·
Registered
622 Posts
SASKATOON, SASKATCHEWAN--(Marketwired - Aug. 27, 2014) -

ALL AMOUNTS ARE STATED IN CDN $ (UNLESS NOTED)

Cameco (TSX:CCO)(NYSE:CCJ) announced today that, in response to receiving strike notice from the United Steelworkers Local 8914, the company initiated a shutdown of its McArthur River mine and Key Lake mill operations and will cease production at those sites.

The union has advised Cameco of its intention to commence strike action, effective 12:01 a.m. on August 30, 2014. In response to the strike notice, Cameco issued a lockout notice effective 12:01 a.m. on August 30, 2014 to assure a safe and orderly shutdown of its facilities. Cameco is continuing to meet with the union during the 72-hour notice period.

The work stoppage involves approximately 535 unionized employees at the two operations. Contract negotiations began in November 2013. The previous four-year contract expired December 31, 2013. In July, the company and union jointly applied for conciliation under the Canada Labour Code.

A labour disruption is not expected to affect the company's 2014 uranium delivery commitments to customers. Cameco may draw on a variety of supply sources including primary production, and existing purchase commitments and inventories.

·
Banned
602 Posts
The union could not have chosen a worse time to strike. Yellowcake is near record lows at $30/pound and there is excess supply in the system. Cameco is probably happy to shut down McArthur River for a few weeks; they have all the bargaining power.

·
Banned
602 Posts
Yellowcake prices are up 3.2% to $32.50 today. Despite the impending shutdown at McArthur River, Cameco will be able to meet all customer commitments through other sources including drawing down their inventory.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...-uranium-price-in-2-12-years/article20234894/

Thanks United Steelworkers for increasing the value of Cameco's inventory while not jeopardizing their ability to supply customers!

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Thanks United Steelworkers for increasing the value of Cameco's inventory while not jeopardizing their ability to supply customers!
+1 lol

(Too bad that I don't have spare cash to buy more shares - only have 50, purchased for $20.50 back in July... :))

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
https://www.equities.com/news/cameco-corporation-cco-ca-rises-10-21-for-january-10

Hindsight being 20-20 a coworker and I discussed buying more in December. Would have been a great return short term. Long run would have put me overweight in both sector and company.

Still good news for those that hold. Still under water since I purchased post fukishima. Long term hold for me. May trim if it ever gets back into the 20s. Cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
https://www.equities.com/news/cameco-corporation-cco-ca-rises-10-21-for-january-10

Hindsight being 20-20 a coworker and I discussed buying more in December. Would have been a great return short term. Long run would have put me overweight in both sector and company.

Still good news for those that hold. Still under water since I purchased post fukishima. Long term hold for me. May trim if it ever gets back into the 20s. Cheers

Likewise, i had my average cost at around $20ish built in the past years, after it fell close to $16 this past summer, I averaged down ,,, and whoops ... wrong move as it dropped even more.
I waited some month until was able to grab some at $11.4. Have been happy to see my investment rebound to a only 8% loss ( :) ).

Though not entirely sure what is moving at this point.
Looks like uranium has been the last participent to enter the commodity rally. Or perhaps the talks about defence and nuclear built up. Thing is all i hear on news is US nuclear power plant wanting to close down.

let's see... haven't bought anymore since $11.4 nor planning to sell underwater
Average cost is around $17, at least it pays some dividends

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
CCO nearly doubled since March. Still hasn't really recovered from the start of this thread in 2011? P/E was apparently 17 then w 2% dividend and now 82 P/E according to google

The slaughter just seems to continue with uranium producers. Cameco is now at 19 and sporting a pedestrian PE of 17 with a dividend yield around 2%. It is almost looking like a value play now despite an earlier run at 45.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Sometimes fate intervenes in a nice way. About two weeks ago I unloaded some Linamar in the tfsa.It has made a very strong run in the last 6 months or so. And the cash from that went into buying more CCO. Settled last tuesday I recall.

I had to read up on what that they have increased their stake in. Sounds very interesting, and it sounds like the US DOE has a long pile of uranium they want processed. When the us government declares the information the originator company holds to be secret that usually means they want the work to at least be further developed.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Share price has been experiencing volatility but definitely seeing higher highs. Is now my largest holding. Will see what happens with the next earning report and decide whether to trim and if so by how much.

161 - 180 of 183 Posts