Canadian Money Forum banner
141 - 160 of 183 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
I was early on Cameco but just getting into the black with the upgrade, which is decent.

A bit of a dividend and some $40ish targets out there.

We were actually on Maui the night of the Japanese sunami, wasn't major for us but uncomfortable as were evacuated to higher ground for the night and at our beach area the water rose about 8feet (I think), it arrived 5 AM. Talk about something outta left field!

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
It's obvious (to me) that nuclear power is the future. I can't take Germany's energy policy seriously. Apparently they prefer coal fired power plants over nuclear. Coal is supposed to be green? Good grief. Then Germany buys power from France when they need it, and France is over 90% nuclear. I can't take the Global warming alarmists seriously when they prefer coal fired plants over nuclear. Anyway, due to serious pollution from coal fired plants, and the yield from wind and solar is meager, it is obvious that nuclear is going to be the primary option.

Buy low, sell high.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I was early on Cameco but just getting into the black with the upgrade, which is decent.
Me as well

A bit of a dividend and some $40ish targets out there.

We were actually on Maui the night of the Japanese sunami, wasn't major for us but uncomfortable as were evacuated to higher ground for the night and at our beach area the water rose about 8feet (I think), it arrived 5 AM. Talk about something outta left field!
That is truly bizarre. My former boss was also in Maui at the time. I remember emailing him about it. They had to evacuate their rented condo and head to the roof at about 3 am till it passed. The pictures were amazing!

·
Banned
602 Posts
CCO up 12.3% in the last 2 days after Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe indicated he would like to restart all 48 of the countries idle nuclear reactors and he expects nuclear energy to play a large role in Japan going forward. Yellowcake spot prices remain around $35/pound, however that figure should rise once Japan restarts their reactors.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm not allowed to own individual stocks right now but I got my CCO & uranium exposure through the URA ETF (CCO is 25% of it). Also a very happy camper.

Megatons to Megawatts done: check
Japan coming back on: check
China & india doing a rapid buildout: check
low uranium prices pushing small suppliers to cancel projects, restricting supply: check

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm not allowed to own individual stocks right now
Over zealous compliance department it sounds like. URA is good exposure though. I like the larger more capitalized producers over the junior miners though. There's still short-term low prices in the uranium market which may cause some to close up shop or dilute their shares.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Over zealous compliance department it sounds like. URA is good exposure though. I like the larger more capitalized producers over the junior miners though. There's still short-term low prices in the uranium market which may cause some to close up shop or dilute their shares.
Exactly why I would rather own only CCO. Not sure how many small players can last it out until there's some real price recovery.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Any thoughts on where this is going? Looks like it dropped right back down to where it was 6 months ago. I'd like to own this, but preferably at a lower P/E.

·
Registered
292 Posts
CCO has dropped for its $27 highs in March to $20 with the latest 4.5% drop yesterday after news of a tax avoidance squabble with the CRA:

To review: In 1999, Cameco set up a subsidiary, Cameco Europe Ltd., in low-tax Zug, Switzerland. Cameco then signed a 17-year deal to take the uranium it produces in Canada and sell it to Cameco Europe before it made its way to the end customer.

By injecting a middleman into the transaction, Cameco is able to sell the uranium to Cameco Europe at the low prices reflective of 1999. As a result, Cameco is recording little to no profit in Canada. Instead, all the profits appear in Zug, where the tax rate is lower.

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...uabble-that-keeps-on-growing/article18989010/
A recent RBC report on the supply and demand of uranium forcasts that the market will remain oversupplied until 2021.

We have completed a detailed review of our supply/demand model. The global uranium market continues in a state of significant oversupply. Active annual supply exceeds demand by a significant margin, and on top of that, significant excess inventories have been and continue to be accumulated post the Fukushima disaster, particularly in Japan. We now expect the market to remain oversupplied until 2021, and for prices to be constrained over the next three to four years as a result. [...]

Source: http://www.stockhouse.com/companies/bullboard/t.cco/cameco-corp?threadid=22632447
Things are looking down right now for CCO. I own some CCO I am going to be watching it more closely.

·
Banned
602 Posts
I bought CCO as a long-term hold because I expect the long-term demand for uranium to increase dramatically. This pick up in demand is taking a lot longer than I expected. I still think there is potential here.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
i try not to look a gift horse in the mouth.
+1.

I sold 1/2 for about 30% profit, which was adjusted/lowered from my original exit strategy, but the recent & quick highs were hard to ignore in this particular space.

I plan to pick up the sold 1/2 again with same cash/profits still sitting in my account; not far from my current ACB.

·
Registered
630 Posts
+1.

I sold 1/2 for about 30% profit, which was adjusted/lowered from my original exit strategy, but the recent & quick highs were hard to ignore in this particular space.

I plan to pick up the sold 1/2 again with same cash/profits still sitting in my account; not far from my current ACB.
Are you at least thinking of buying back into ECA too?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
^ Oh, I did buy back!

Remember I was initially in & out in the $30's in 2010 [ u thought I had been crazy, remember?], so it was a no-brainer getting back in.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I bought CCO as a long-term hold because I expect the long-term demand for uranium to increase dramatically. This pick up in demand is taking a lot longer than I expected. I still think there is potential here.
Where do you see the demand coming from? Medical?

Do you think demand for nuclear power will increase given recent trends?

·
Banned
602 Posts
Where do you see the demand coming from? Medical?

Do you think demand for nuclear power will increase given recent trends?
I expect the demand to come from Japan restarting the nuclear reactors and from China. I also think long-term more countries are going to want to use nuclear as it is one of the cleanest ways to generate electricity.

141 - 160 of 183 Posts