Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Westin is a very close to the Sheraton and to the Eau Claire Market. Some places to there. Westin is fine. I have stayed there a number of times.

You should be able to get a very good rate. Business travel to Calgary is down, down, down. No Stampede this year. The rate on the web is not always the best at these hotels. Shop, then call the front desk (NOT the 1 800 central reservations number) and ask for their best rate. I suspect that the weekend rate is best given that it is a business hotel.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Westin is a very close to the Sheraton and to the Eau Claire Market. Some places to there. Westin is fine. I have stayed there a number of times.

You should be able to get a very good rate. Business travel to Calgary is down, down, down. No Stampede this year. The rate on the web is not always the best at these hotels. Shop, then call the front desk (NOT the 1 800 central reservations number) and ask for their best rate. I suspect that the weekend rate is best given that it is a business hotel.
Thanks for the tips. Yes it does look like the weekend rate is better.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Thanks for burger suggestions. Thats good to know some that are closer by. My plan was always to go next summer i just plan well in advance. I just hope airfares haven't gone up too much.
NEXT summer? As in the summer of 2021?

You do know about this thing called Covid-19 right. By next summer, places you are asking about may no longer be in business especially the burger places but also the hotels.

Just out of curiousity, how many nights do you plan to spend in Calgary when and if you end up going? I hope all this time and effort isn't just for a one night stay.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Su rely one of the 5 marriott hotels would be open? If anything will survive its a marriott. I would think ceasers and the river cafe would be open. Having a steak is my main concern and there is alberta rainbow trout at the river cafe. I wou ld stay 3-4 nights. Hiwever with your comment i am concerned with the tour operators staying open. Hopefully there would be calgarians taking day trips. For me part of the enjoyment of a trip is in the planning. I've already enjoed looki ng on a map as to where stuff is and at the different reviews for restaurants. My big trip this year will be to victoria so i could use a distraction.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Su rely one of the 5 marriott hotels would be open? If anything will survive its a marriott. I would think ceasers and the river cafe would be open. Having a steak is my main concern and there is alberta rainbow trout at the river cafe. I wou ld stay 3-4 nights. Hiwever with your comment i am concerned with the tour operators staying open. Hopefully there would be calgarians taking day trips. For me part of the enjoyment of a trip is in the planning. I've already enjoed looki ng on a map as to where stuff is and at the different reviews for restaurants. My big trip this year will be to victoria so i could use a distraction.
Well consider that Hertz has already crashed. Would you have thought such a major car rental company would be out of business? On what basis do you say, 'If anything will survive its a marriott.'? They could be the first chain to go just as easily as any other.

Why would you need a tour operator to visit Calgary? You drive or book a flight and book a hotel room. You aren't going on a 'tour' of any kind. Personally, I am hoping that this will adversely affect all the third party online booking parasite companies as it is Airbnb. Maybe we will get back to doing business with the service providers rather than giving money to third parties who add nothing to the equation.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Yes i find most businesses in trouble now had financial difficulties before covid 19. If marriott folded i'd have bigger concerns then a trip to calgary.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
@latebuyer Don't worry, there will be a great steak place in Calgary, even it's not Caesar's. Steak is a staple. Rainbow trout may need to be substituted with another fish (I didn't think it was always on the menu at the River café), but if that's what you want, I am sure there will be a place. I plan to take my family rainbow trout fishing at one of the many areas around here this summer. I will save one and freeze it for you, if needed. (Might be small though)

If there were no more Alberta Beef or rainbow trout at the end of this COVID, there are bigger issues. Though beef prices have been skyrocketing here.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Thanks. Yes I would say having a steak is a priority but I'm not tied to the place. Despite what longtimeago said I think burger places will be open as burgers are a cheap staple anywhere for locals.

As someone suggested I can uber around if things aren't in walking distance

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
Thanks to all the posters for giving me lots of options. I also feel that unlike Vancouver calgary is less dependent on tourists.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
I have not been in Calgary for a long time. Spent a winter there about 40 years ago. I was then asked:

Q. - What's the difference between Calgary and yogurt?
A. - Yogurt has a live culture.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Thanks. Yes I would say having a steak is a priority but I'm not tied to the place. Despite what longtimeago said I think burger places will be open as burgers are a cheap staple anywhere for locals.

As someone suggested I can uber around if things aren't in walking distance
LOL, what makes you think Uber will be around? Right now all the uber drivers who were depending on it to make a living are starving and wishing they could find a real job.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I have legs to walk don't i? Or maybe you think i could be handicapped by then? I'm not interested in hearing your comments. I don't get the sense you've lived or travelled to calgary lately. You are a very negative person.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Are there any good bakeries or cafes walking distance from the westin? I would probably get a muffin or scone to eat for breakfast.

This may seem an odd question but i'm willing to walk for a good muffin or scone. They definitely aren't all created equal, its particularly hard to find a good muffin.
Within in walking distance Sidewalk Citizen Café, they have great coffee and scones.

Sorry, I am not a muffin eater so don't know personally.

Thanks to all the posters for giving me lots of options. I also feel that unlike Vancouver calgary is less dependent on tourists.
Calgary does depend on tourism but it's not the main industry. They will take a major hit without the Stampede this year. Many people will come for the mountains and there are some nice areas around here.

I have not been in Calgary for a long time. Spent a winter there about 40 years ago. I was then asked:

Q. - What's the difference between Calgary and yogurt?
A. - Yogurt has a live culture.
Wouldn't disagree. Calgary is a young city relative to many. It has it's own culture, there are the arts, festivals, and lots of different things. The way people act in Calgary is different than other larger cities. People are friendly. It won't have the culture or history of European cities, or things to do like NYC and major cities, or the awe of being in a fully different culture. People visit Calgary because it's a nice place to visit.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I have legs to walk don't i? Or maybe you think i could be handicapped by then? I'm not interested in hearing your comments. I don't get the sense you've lived or travelled to calgary lately. You are a very negative person.
I was going to say if Uber dies, then there is a thing called a Taxi, they still exist. Also, the city is bringing back the electric scooters again. So you won't be stuck downtown. Seriously, if worst came to worst, I am sure I could get a ride. That's the Calgary charm. We are a pretty positive bunch.

Keep planning, but keep in mind, a lot of things are changing right now, I am not sure what restaurants will be open or not. Boogies had a line up around the corner at one location, I am sure they are fine.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Like I said PA, that was a joke 40 years ago. I think Calgary to be different now. Actually, despite being a cold winter, I enjoyed my 4 months in Calgary. I have been there a few times in more recent years, but usually for a short visit, not as a tourist, so I really know little of it now. Yes, seems like a nice place to visit.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)
Sorry longtimeago i had a bad sleep. As i tend to be a doom and gloom person myself, i don't need another depressive thinker throwing cold water on my trip. Thanks pluggingalong. I think i'll just have to be flexible. Give me a steak and a place to sleep and i'm happy. Also what i don't believe you mentioned is there is public transit-i take public transit a lot in vancouver so could manage. As a solo person i tend to overplan as i find i need to keep busy as a solo traveller so i'll have to work on that. Nice to know about the cafe. I think what i haven't made clear is the primary purpose of my trip is to go to the dinosaur museum-its reallly a bucket list item. However i thought going to calgary would be nice-its nice to see another part of canada and extend out my trip. What i'm looking most forward to is the river walk and no one can take that away (unless there is a flood😊) Yes i'm aware i could happen.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
If it were me...I would cut short my time in Calgary. Spend time in the mountains. Go to Drumheller.

Calgary is fine but nothing special. Lots of cities have a river walk. Heritage Village is 'nice' but again...nothing special really despite what some of our fellow locals would say.

What is special, IMHO, about Calgary is the fabulous foothills scenery and of course the mountains. Rent a car. Drive the Kananaskis or perhaps stay in Banff or Canmore for a few days. Spend time in Banff, Lake Louise, walk the Emerald Lake circular route /Yoho, perhaps drive an hour up the road towards Jasper. Walk the river from the town site to Banff Springs Hotel. Stop for a drink on the patio. Tour the hotel. Walk back, enjoy the view, smell the pine, listen to the river.

Not certain how you would get to Drumheller now. The museum is special if you are interested in that. Greyhound service is long gone.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts