Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping there are some calgarians on this board. I am primarily interested in going to Drumheller, but would like to spend a day or 2 in Calgary. So far, I know about the Glenbow museum and a walk along the bow river. Is there other stuff to see? How important is it for your hotel to be beside light rail or the subway? Note i won't have a car and I would be going solo.

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
if you're so inclined, the Calgary Zoo is a nice spot to spend a couple of hours...tell the gorilla's I said hello...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I would go on a day (bus trip) to drumheller and potentially Banff/Lake Louise. Looking to spend about a day or 2 in Calgary (personal trip). So is the light rail better then being on the subway? I see there are some hotels a bit farther out from downtown. (I am looking at staying at Marriott properties due to Amex Marriott card) There is a cheaper marriott still walkable to downtown, but on subway not light rail route.

That's ok I looked at the Fairfield inn on 12th ave and it seems not too far from light rail. However, still looking for any tips or calgary secrets that only locals know that you have. Are there any restaurants you recommend?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Calgary just has light rail service and bus service, there is no subway.
Definitely go to the Canadian music hall of fame, it is downtown and it is great!
I have had great meals at Charcut restaurant downtown, if you like craft beer, check out, Craft Beer Market.
For sure Banff and Lake Louise, lots of good places to eat in Banff, make sure to check out the Banff Springs hotel, it is a nice place to visit. Take a camera.

Anyway, hope you have a great time!

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
I don't know anything about your Marriott card but have they not all come together into Marriott Bonvoy which includes Delta and some others? In any event, being within a few blocks of CT Light Rail system is the right thing to do.

If you are a sports nut, then the Canada Sports Hall of Fame out at Olympic Park is a great place to spend time....but no light rail to there. Would have to use city bus.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
And what time of year? And what do you enjoy?

Drumheller is certainly cool. In the summer/early fall it's amazing.

Calgary, like Edmonton, is not an easy place to get around without a car. There is bus and LRT service, but it is really focused on getting residents in and out of work downtown and not so much going to tourist areas.
The Zoo is pretty good. Heritage Park is well done, if that's your thing. There's downhill karting/luge at canada olympic park which is pretty cool, but only a summer thing. They also have a bobsleigh ride down the actual course. Mostly a summer thing, but I've heard they do some winter runs do in between athlete training.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. Early fall doesn't work for me, I was thinking June if that is a good time. I'm not into sports but the canadian music hall of fame interests me. I'd probably eat out for breakfast once if anyone has recommendations. I'll definitely check how close the light rail is to my hotel, thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
I don't know anything about your Marriott card but have they not all come together into Marriott Bonvoy which includes Delta and some others? In any event, being within a few blocks of CT Light Rail system is the right thing to do.
Yea they are huge now. If you search on marriott it will show all the various brands with bonvoy rewards

Don't forget a selfie stick for Banff so you can turn your back to the bears along the road with everyone else

·
Registered
790 Posts
If you like shopping, visit Chinook centre and Cross Iron Mills mall. You can also visit Heritage park. I would spend more time on Banff, Lake Louise and Drumheller than Calgary itself.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I would go on a day (bus trip) to drumheller and potentially Banff/Lake Louise. Looking to spend about a day or 2 in Calgary (personal trip). So is the light rail better then being on the subway? I see there are some hotels a bit farther out from downtown. (I am looking at staying at Marriott properties due to Amex Marriott card) There is a cheaper marriott still walkable to downtown, but on subway not light rail route.

That's ok I looked at the Fairfield inn on 12th ave and it seems not too far from light rail. However, still looking for any tips or calgary secrets that only locals know that you have. Are there any restaurants you recommend?
Random answers:
- There is only the C-train (light rail - no subway) and transit buses. The transit in Calgary is pretty average, and is not great for getting around outside of downtown to further areas.
- For context, the three lines of C-trains runs through downtown on 7th Avenue South. A hotel between 1 ave south and 12/13 the Ave south would be walkable. In the case of Fairfield, would be able about 6 or 7 blocks, so definitely walkable, especially in June.
- I would not go much further outside of downtown as the transfers from the buses take forever, and in most cases you will need to transfer at downtown anyways.
- There is a great Marriot hotel across from the Calgary Tower (centre street and 9th Ave), but it may be very expensive.

Activities/Things to do:
- Studio Bell National Music (walkable from the Fairfield)
- East village/Eau Claire into Prince's Island. It's a nice area/prominade. Depending on the week, sometimes so fun things to do
- Central library - won a ton of awards. The design is really great
These three things could take a good 1/2 day and are all walking distance from each other.

- Banff/Lake Louise is great. In early June, one still needs to be aware of the wildlife all coming out. Don't take selfies with them!

Food: I can go on forever (we eat out way too much) So give me some ideas what kind of dining you are looking for.
Inglewood would be walkable from Fairfield. Love 'the Nash', by Chef Noble, he was one of the first Canadians on Iron Chef Japan. I really like his food.
- Breakfast: Diner Deluxe, Red's, Galaxy diner are a few that are not too far, a few a little bit of a walk but doable
- Gruman's - one of the better deli's, and was on some show "You Gotta Eat Here' or something.

If you give more parameters, that would be helpful in terms of types of cuisine.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks to everyone responding and to plugging along for their detailed response. What I am thinking of doing is spending one night at expensive Marriott and the rest at the Fairfield. Plugging along, i'd be interested in what ethnic restaurants are in Calgary. I believe the restaurants i'm looking for are the more hole in the wall mom and pop type ethnic places.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
LB. what kind of ethnicity and does it need to be walking distance?

The challenge I find being right downtown is that a lot of the mom and pop shops or while in the walls can not afford the rents near downtown so they tend to be in outside communities.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are right. I would probably want it to be walking distance. What about a good steak as when i think of alberta i think of beef.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Now we are talking. I do believe Alberta beef is only second to maybe Kobe or Wagyu beef (at a quarter of the price)

For steaks:
Caesar's 4th Ave (one of the first ones)
Hy's
Vintage Chophouse
Charcut
Saltlik

If you want a lot of meat, but not steak, I love Minha's Brazilian bbq. Be forewarned of meat sweets. There is such a thing

Breakfast
Red's
OEB
Diner Deluxe
Galaxy

Other dining:
The Nash - has offcuts done in a great way and one of my favorite chefs
Calgary Tower 360 room - Gives the a beautiful rotating view. If you have dinner there, you don't have to pay for admission to the tower. It's one of my pricey recommends.
Inglewood and 17th Ave has great little restaurants too, and is a nice walk.

I only mentioned places that would be either walkable, or a short e-scooter/uber away. Some are a tad further.

I didn't have very many ethnic places, as the mom and pop shops are the ones often the in burbs. For example there is a fantastic Thai place near the airport. It's dated and divey but the great food. They used to fly some of the ingredients directly from Thailand as one of the owners used to be a flight attendant or something. You could go there on the way to or from the airport.

If you are only in Calgary for a short time, I would consider renting an e-scooter to get around downtown and check out the pathways. They are pretty fun.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks. I will definitely have a steak. Since calgary is my homebase i will have lots of opportunities to try the different restaurants.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Is the Beltline District a good area to stay? I see there is a Residence Inn at 10th ave and 5th street. Some of the reviews do mention train noise though.

Never mind, I don't want to be sleeping and listening to trains. The fairfield inn is at 12th ave and 3rd street so it must be in beltline district too.

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
Mainline CPR to Vancouver runs parallel and between 9th and 10th Avenues. I suspect freights run every 20-30 minutes most hours, maybe once an hour certain hours of the day.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts