Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's soon to be that time of the year. Your 2018 TFSA contribution.

This year I am leaning heavily on purchasing $5500 worth of BIP.UN.

What are you looking at doing?

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
A technicality.... There is no such thing as a 2018 TFSA. There is $5500 contribution room that one can use to contribute to a TFSA....either to one that already exists, or a new one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ride the Marijuana momentum, I stopped listening to people talking about outrageous valuations etc and I made some nice gains my TFSA. Who knows how things are going to look come July but right now there is a lot of opportunities out there. I like the following companies... Canopy , Supreme, Hydropothecary and InMEd.... I think Hydropothecary is just about in position to set up Monopoly like exclusivity for Quebec. Aurora and Apria are also notable mentions. Not saying to stay in it forever but could be a nice jumpstart

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like Aphria.

I'm now doing the kicking myself in the a$$ hindsight thing on that Play.

Ride the Marijuana momentum, I stopped listening to people talking about outrageous valuations etc and I made some nice gains my TFSA. Who knows how things are going to look come July but right now there is a lot of opportunities out there. I like the following companies... Canopy , Supreme, Hydropothecary and InMEd.... I think Hydropothecary is just about in position to set up Monopoly like exclusivity for Quebec. Aurora and Apria are also notable mentions. Not saying to stay in it forever but could be a nice jumpstart

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hear ya, To buy some Aphria the morning after the Shoppers announcement was an absolute layup. I missed it to by not having a cash reserve ready. Not too late for THCX though.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Agreed. Ive moved some of my divi payers into my RRSP to make room for my weed stocks. Becoming a larger percentage then I had planned but ive seen over 150% and the more DD I read I find more companies with good potential.

Core holdings are APH, ACB and WEED. Next is MJN, HVST, THCX and my baby FIRE.

Throw BABA and some crypto in the mix and my portfolio is at the riskiest it can be!

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
As always, I will combine my 2018 deposit with a GIC that will mature on my ladder and I will buy a new 5 year GIC. I hold the items that are taxed at my highest marginal rate inside my registered accounts. It wouldn't be very tax efficient to hold any equities in registered accounts as I would lose any chance at claiming capital loses. I can't know beforehand whether an equity will gain or lose in a registered account, but I can guarantee what the tax will be on a GIC at my highest marginal rate.

ltr

·
Registered
190 Posts
As always, I will combine my 2018 deposit with a GIC that will mature on my ladder and I will buy a new 5 year GIC. I hold the items that are taxed at my highest marginal rate inside my registered accounts. It wouldn't be very tax efficient to hold any equities in registered accounts as I would lose any chance at claiming capital loses. I can't know beforehand whether an equity will gain or lose in a registered account, but I can guarantee what the tax will be on a GIC at my highest marginal rate.

ltr

This makes sense. I dislike being taxed so heavy on my HISA (I bounce it between Simplii, EQ and Tangerine so I get a fairly high rate not locked in), but I figure it is best to have my growth stocks inside my TFSA.

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
FWIW, keeping all those growth/momentum stocks in the TFSA is great until one or more of them implodes. Then the inability to take a tax loss is irritating. Depends on your success/failure track record of course.

·
Banned
588 Posts
That's why you keep stock funds in TFSA and not individual stocks.
+1 There is nothing wrong with stock picking. But a TFSA, currently, is "small" enough that I can't really hold more than one or two stocks in it and have the positions be of any meaningful size. That increases the likelihood of catastrophic implosion. My TFSA is in a sector fund which I wanted to hold anyway and the risk of a single implosion is there reduced.Of course, saying that, DW TFSA is in two stocks. And she is killing me on returns. So, what do I know.

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
I've changed my strategy for a third time since 2009. My current strategy is to have only one holding in my TFSA and it is MAW104. I will now hopefully only look at this once every January when I make the next contribution. If Mawer falters over time, I'll switch over to Beutal Goodman or Leith Wheeler or similar competitor. That way, if I start to drool or have to be fed pablum, no POA has to think twice about my TFSA.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts