Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night, I tried to order some car parts on-line from a Toronto vendor. I have purchased there before, so they have all my info except for CC. I tried three different credit cards (Two Visa and one Mastercard) Each time they were declined. Now, these are credit cards that I know to be good and in fact have been used on-line before and since. What would happen, is that a second security window would pop up. This a HT Visa one:

When I clicked on continue, I received the transaction declined message. (Something similar with Scotia and BMO)

I looked into this a little. It seems "Verified by Visa" and Mastercard SecureCode are optional programs that customers are apparently able to register for. I have not done this. It is not something the credit card companies tell us about. Hard to find info about it on their sites.

It would appear that in order to buy from vendors participating in these programs, customer would have to register. I have bought many items on-line, but never seen this before.

This is what VISA says:
Registration is mandatory if you want to buy online from participating retailers. If you do not register for your Verified by Visa password, you will not be able to take advantage of the convenience of online shopping at the participating retailers.

I contacted the vendor and he at first said to try another browser. Later said I had to first register with credit card company.

Anyone else had this sort of thing happen?

·
Registered
16,346 Posts
I've had similar experiences, I think with certain airlines. Even though I used my CC for all kinds of internet purchases, and it always worked, with a certain airline I was unable to buy anything until I enrolled in the program(s) you mention.

My sense is that if the vendor has turned on that feature (Verified by Visa or SecureCode) then you have to use it as well. I have registered with the program for both Visa and Mastercard for this reason, though it hardly comes up.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I have had verified by Visa pop up on a few Visa cards. CIBC and HT. I have registered so it is never a problem, other than remembering the password that I use. As I recall when verified by visa pops up there is a pointer to click and register at the same time without exiting the particular transaction that you are working.

We only use HT for foreign transactions. It seems to me on the last few trips the window did pop up on airline sights....Agean and again on Interjet. We have never considered it onerous and have assumed that it is simply some sort of two step credit card authentication.

We use MC in Canada but cannot remember anything similar popping on MC.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I recall when verified by visa pops up there is a pointer to click and register at the same time without exiting the particular transaction that you are working.

We only use HT for foreign transactions. It seems to me on the last few trips the window did pop up on airline sights....Agean and again on Interjet. We have never considered it onerous and have assumed that it is simply some sort of two step credit card authentication.

We use MC in Canada but cannot remember anything similar popping on MC.
Thanks for the input. When I filled in that pop up and clicked continue, the transaction was declined - no opportunity to register. Same occurred with BMO Mastercard - just declined and gave me a number to call to get more info. With Scotia Momentum, I don't think I even saw a pop-up. Just declined.

This added security doesn't seem to be widely used. This is the first time I have had a problem using my cards on-line. If this situation became more common, I would register, but after looking at both HT and Scotia sites, I don't see where I would do that.

I usually choose Paypal if offered (it usually is these days). eBay uses Paypal. Amazon have cards stored which some people don't like, but no need for these security add-ons there. We don't fly anywhere, so no airlines!

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I can gather, Scotia Momentum cards are automatically registered for Verified by Visa and the HT card popup posted above says same. Perhaps that is why there is no mention on their sites?

Yet when I fill in the pop up, the transaction is declined with no advice as to why or what to do about it. Vendor doesn't seem to know much about it and says it is my problem! This even although his site is only one I have had problem with. I made sure info filled into popups matched our accounts exactly. Even tried postal code with and without space. Basically have given up on buying on-line from this vendor.

Anyway, good news is that I saved $100 by repairing old parts instead of buying new!

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Well looking at the screen shot you included, it says that after you fill in the required info on that screen, you will then go to a next page to create your password. So it is in fact supposed to be registering you.

What you are saying is that having fill in the info, it goes directly to 'declined' rather than taking you to the next page to register a password.

That to me says only one thing. Either there is a glitch in the program OR one of items you are entering does not match their records for you. For example, if HT has your 'old' phone number on file and you are entering a different last 4 digits, it will 'decline' obviously.

As for who to talk to, why would you talk to the vendor? They aren't the ones registering you, HT is. Talk to HT.

When you write, "Basically have given up on buying on-line from this vendor.", it seems to me you are blaming the wrong company, it is HT that is causing you a problem when you want to buy from that vendor. What if that vendor was the only vendor who has what you want or what if they simply have the best price? You just give up because HT made your life difficult? I'd give up on HT.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Is this an out of country vendor? We have had some different experiences dealing with out of country vendors. Some appear to key on the credit card, others on the postal code etc. When we booked a hotel with a travel firm in the UK they would not accept the booking. After several tries, different credit cards, we used an address of a European hotel as our home address. The purchase went through. We could not book on the Aerolineas Aregentine web site with a foreign card. Yet they would accept one when we called their reservation centre in Buenos Aires and booked by phone (flights were about 30 percent less than booking on the usual NA booking sites, including the Aerolineas NA site. Most of these issues for us seem to have disappeared over the past two or three years.

One thing we like about the HT card is that we do not get as many 'card not accepted' notices from foreign airlines as we did with the Marriott/Amazon Chase Bank Visa. Not sure why this is.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Is this an out of country vendor? We have had some different experiences dealing with out of country vendors. Some appear to key on the credit card, others on the postal code etc. When we booked a hotel with a travel firm in the UK they would not accept the booking. After several tries, different credit cards, we used an address of a European hotel as our home address. The purchase went through. We could not book on the Aerolineas Aregentine web site with a foreign card. Yet they would accept one when we called their reservation centre in Buenos Aires and booked by phone (flights were about 30 percent less than booking on the usual NA booking sites, including the Aerolineas NA site. Most of these issues for us seem to have disappeared over the past two or three years.

One thing we like about the HT card is that we do not get as many 'card not accepted' notices from foreign airlines as we did with the Marriott/Amazon Chase Bank Visa. Not sure why this is.
Perfect example of why not to blame the vendor ian. A 30% lower price is not to be sneezed at. The problem obviously is with the verification system which belongs to VISA and is used by HT.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Our Marriott Visa was rejected a few times for on line airline purchases when we were travelling in SE Asia and Australia. . This is exactly why we carry several credit card types when travelling.

I called Marriott Chase Bank Visa when we returned home. They claimed to have no record of the card even being presented (and refused) by the vendor-in this case Jetstar, an airline. I began to wonder if it had anything to do with it being a premium card that may have meant a higher transaction fee for the vendor. Never did find out why. One thing though, whenever a card or cards were refused, our Amex card was always accepted. Provide of course that the vendor accepted Amex.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is this an out of country vendor?
No, just a Toronto car parts store that also sells on-line.

I do buy sometimes from Rock Auto (USA). Never a problem there, but maybe they offer Paypal.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
TD debit/VISA cards require VISA Verfied to use the debit card as a VISA card on many websites.

It is secondary protection for the vendor against charge backs due to fraud or people trying to get away with not paying.

A friend owns a restaurant and she gets "charge backs" every month from the credit cards where people say they didn't receive the food.

It is costly and time consuming for retailers to fight claims with the credit card companies.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
Last night, I tried to order some car parts on-line from a Toronto vendor ...
When I clicked on continue, I received the transaction declined message ...

Anyone else had this sort of thing happen?
About ten years ago ... once I registered and when I remembered the password, everything went through. Lots of declines because I wasn't remembering the password and didn't have it handy. :mad:

Thankfully, nothing I've charged recently has insisted on it or by changing from Visa to MC, this part was dropped out of the picture. ;)

Cheers

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
... My sense is that if the vendor has turned on that feature (Verified by Visa or SecureCode) then you have to use it as well. I have registered with the program for both Visa and Mastercard for this reason, though it hardly comes up.
Probably the vendor or whomever the vendor outsourced the CC transactions to.

I have no idea what my Visa one is (and it's probably expired by now). I never registered for MC.

Nothing including booking flights have used this in years now. I assumed it was a fad that AI and data mining to detect fraudulent CC transactions had gotten rid of. Apparently not. :mad:

Cheers

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
Thanks for the input. When I filled in that pop up and clicked continue, the transaction was declined - no opportunity to register. Same occurred with BMO Mastercard - just declined and gave me a number to call to get more info. With Scotia Momentum, I don't think I even saw a pop-up. Just declined ...
That is strange ... and new.

I can recall the first time I ran into it being able to register, without cancelling the transaction. It was new to me and I wanted to make sure it was legit so I canceled the CC transaction and did my own research.

... This added security doesn't seem to be widely used. This is the first time I have had a problem using my cards on-line.
Travel with airlines and train were the first places I was hit with this years ago. IIRC, an online bookstore was next.

Haven't seen this in years.

Cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts