Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall a long time ago there was discussion on CMF about profiteering from domain name resales... I think? I couldn't find much in the search.

So I have good relations with the staff at a local shop I frequent and today there was discussion surrounding the businesses domain which had not been renewed. We joked it would be funny to buy and resell to the owner at a premium. Approach them from an anonymous e-mail account and ask to have a bank draft mailed toa po box?

Godaddy priced me the .ca and .com domains for $76. I suspect the value would be much higher to the actual business and although I won't be pursuing it in this case I did wonder...

What are the legalities around buying domain names and reselling them to their intended owners? It seems kind of cruel if not full blown extortion.

any general discussion on this topic will help.

thanks!

·
Registered
14,667 Posts
Domain name squatting usually results in a cease and desist letter from the nationally known business. They can also seize the domain name.

As far as registering and re-selling domain names, there are tens of thousands of people trying to that. Anything that is remotely meaningful is already registered by someone.

Long or difficult to pronounce or understand domain names, or domain names with hyphens or several combined words are mostly worthless.

The only chance a person has is to register a short oddball name that isn't a word and compete with all the others.

Some examples.....uber, gryft, wiki........those kinds of oddball names that a company will spend millions of dollars to promote for their unique business.

Domain names like business.com........mortgage.com etc. sell for millions of dollars and were registered in the 1990s.

If you give it a try........stick with .com names. There are all kinds of other extensions that are worthless.

There are some domain names forums around if you are interested. DN Journal lists sales of domain names.

·
Registered
20,320 Posts
I thought domain name squatting was a kind of internet speculation practice that died back in the early 2000s.

Probably a waste of time and energy. One of the first thing entrepreneurs check before settling on a name is the domain availability.

·
Registered
14,667 Posts
Corporations or nobody else can claim ownership of general words such as cars, mortgages, burgers, toys, golf etc. First come.......first served.

Mark Cuban made a lot of his money from registering a raft of premium domain names and selling them later for 7 figures each.

DN Journal lists sales of domain names and the top tier names still command multiple millions. Weaker domain names can also command high prices as the overall availability shrinks.

Today, I would suggest anyone interested to focus on short "brandable" domain names. They have been popular with companies.......Lyft, Uber, etc.

Unfortunately, there are tens of thousands of people looking for those domain names as well and millions of them for sale.

I have a 7 letter dot com and am keeping it for prosperity.............LOL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts