Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Higher volatility favors trading strategies. But this bout of volatility will pass, just like the ones that came before it. In the last 7 year, the VIX has been below 15 most of the time. Not a good environment for traders.

·
Registered
16,346 Posts
We did that for years during accumulation stage. But back then GICs were paying 5% - Double digits. Right now, if you bought at your local bank, as we did at that time, you would be lucky to get 1%.

These are different times, and I am actually going to buy some 1-3yr GICs and short term bonds today! Looks like I will be lucky to get 2%.
Different times maybe, but I don't see a problem with today's rates. We got 5% on GICs back when interest rates were perhaps 3%, so that's a 2% real return.

Today the 5 year GICs yield 2% and inflation just came in at slightly negative. That's also a 2% real return.

I don't see any reason for someone to abandon fixed income or GIC ladders these days. Consider that a typical stock-heavy 60/40 fund returned about 2% real return in the last five years. The 5 year GICs today offer the same 2% real return.

·
Registered
6,871 Posts
I’ll stick with my buy and hold strategy, I’ve made nearly 10k in a month with double digit returns on my covid purchases. Enjoy your 2% returns.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
With a variety of trading and shifting of positions, probably about 20-25 trades in total, I am roughly back to where I started the year. Although, markets are down considerably in that time.

Buying a big CNQ position at $11 on 19 March has been by far my best move, as that position is up 127%. I also added more at $15.87, which is up 60%. But I have some others that are doing well, such as GSY (40% in 1 month) and Teck (25% in 1 month). I also sold some stuff pre-drop like IPL at $19 and MFC at $24, but bought back those positions for a big discount at $10 and $16 respectively a few months later.

So some active trading has helped out. My indexed accounts are still about 5-6% below their all time highs that were reached in late Jan. The Canadian dollar is helping here.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Over a short period of time, sure, maybe. Over long periods of time (decades), buying and holding an entire index will beat the vast majority of day traders and stock pickers. Nearly all of them, really. Studies have shown this over and over.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts