Canadian Money Forum banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
I am due for an upgrade this summer. Current is an HP G6 with 750GB hard disk bought on a Telus special in 2012 for $300. After 6 years, I am only using 464GB with no storage management. I am thinking the next laptop will be SSD 500GB versus hybrid 1TB? Any thoughts?

(Mostly pictures with some spreadsheets.)

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
If upgrading in summer maybe try to wait for next Cyber Monday-week deals

I haven't shopped for a laptop in over 6 years, but M.2 cards are affordable at 500GB today. Even 1TB is very affordable. Bulky hard drive form factor is pretty much obsolete for a portable.

You can also do spreadsheets on tablets now and it would be better for mostly pictures/browsing. I actually prefer mobile picture editing

·
Registered
17,633 Posts
Apple laptops

There is nothing particularly frugal about Apple laptops (Macbook and Air) but I've warmed up to them over the years. I work in an office where people have a variety of laptops, and we all travel with them. I've seen countless failures from other brands but the Apple laptops seem to be quite good overall. They're expensive, though.

I'm debating buying one for myself. Besides the Apple stores, where else in Canada would you go to buy a Macbook or Macbook Air at competitive prices?

And do you have any idea if pricing is any better in Canada vs US?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I am an Apple convert. Bought my first Apple desktop at London Drugs on Lonsdale Ave. in N. Vancouver in 2008. The hardware is still perfect, but now difficult to upgrade the software. Apple likes to stop supporting their equipment after a few years so you'll buy new. I bought a new iMac about a year ago from the Apple Store. It included free shipping. Many places like Amazon advertise free shipping but for us, when they find out where we live, off grid, and the last leg of the trip is by floatplane, vendors tend to call and tell us they were just joking when they said free shipping. But, to my surprise, Apple actually came through!

I bought a new MacBook Pro in September. It was the newest release. I checked Canadian and US sellers. I found no great deal in the US. When there is, I can have stuff delivered to our house in LA and one of our tenants, whose company does A LOT of trans-border shipping, will ship it to us for free. But, as I say, I could find no price incentive to buy in the US. Apple Store.ca was no special deal either. I ended up with Staples. Staples and London Drugs have stores in Campbell River. London Drugs did not have the new machine. Staples had one in Vancouver and offered to ship to C. River. The price was CAD3,200. By the time it got to the C. River store, they had the darn things on the shelf, on sale, for $3,000. While there was some initial reluctance, they credited back $200 on the price I had paid for mine.

The first laptop I ever purchased was a Toshiba 286 in 1989. I paid $2,200. It came with a huge, 20 mb hard drive. I cheaped out and did not pay an extra $200 to go to 40 mb. It had a liquid crystal display. The display failed after about 6 months and Toshiba covered the $800 repair cost on warranty. My first desktop was an IBM clone as they were once called, also bought in 1989 for about $2,400. It was a 386 powerhouse with a 65 mb. hard drive and a huge and heavy CRT display. Since then, I have been through quite a few desktops and laptops, at home and at work, including Compaq, Epson, hp, IBM and a few Dells. The most expensive was a Dell laptop paid by my employer. It cost $3,800 in about 1997. Lasted maybe 2 years. I much prefer working with a desktop, but laptops are a must for travel. Also as a backup.

Be aware that most of what you create with Apple programs cannot be read by non-Apple users. You have to become handy at reformatting stuff you send out.

·
Registered
10,366 Posts
With Mac having only about 7% share of the PC market, I can't see ever moving to Apple laptops.....and then I might as well stay with Android for my phone too and have everything super compatible. I do recognize Apple has about 30% of the (declining) tablet market and 15% of the phone market. Not my cup of tea.

Still have my old iPad but it's relegated to the dust bin. No point in these things when one can do everything on a 17 inch laptop as the main computer, and a regular 5+ inch sized phone.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Be aware that most of what you create with Apple programs cannot be read by non-Apple users. You have to become handy at reformatting stuff you send out.
Yeah which is crazy, since the laptops are about twice the price of a regular laptop.

Lots of great laptops from $599-$999 and everyone can read the data they produce.

ltr

·
Registered
10,366 Posts
LTR, I think you need to get into the $1500 range to get the RAM and SSD and possibly touch screen most people want these days. My current machine is a 4 year old Dell 17, 7000 series with touch screen though I don't much care if it has touch screen or not. Looking for another 4 years from it.

·
Registered
17,633 Posts
I used the Macbook for several years (for work) and for the kind of work I do, which is based in unix/Linux, the Mac is actually a really good choice. The modern Mac OS X is based on a unix-like system, so it works very well for the programming and engineering tools that I use. I've never had problems with interoperability and in fact, some standard office software (like Microsoft Office) actually works better on the Mac than it does on Windows!

The choice for the kind of things I use is either a Linux OS or Mac, and linux is simply too awkward to run on a laptop. It doesn't work well. So a PC type of laptop like Thinkpad turns out to not be a great choice, because linux does not work nicely on it. There are simply too many issues... I've seen this with many coworkers.

So I'm definitely sold on the Mac, for my needs. The problem is the price... I'm debating buying a second hand one.

I do see a 13" Air available for 750 USD = 1,000 CAD (new) but unfortunately it doesn't have as much RAM as I'd like.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Recent Macbook Pros have thermal throttling and keyboard issues and the iPad Pro is supposedly better in a lot of ways. I still use my 2011 era Macbook Pro on the latest mac OS like the guy in this review (many people are still using the old Jobs era Macbooks - they are upgradeable and just keep going)

I have a custom built PC and I always cross shop Android and use many Google products but I have stuck with certain Apple products for a few reasons:
Free/compatible OS updates for years (Androids rarely even sell on the latest OS and quickly become obsolete due to their outdated OS)
Security/privacy thanks to rapid/easy OS updates and features (Androids start out insecure and rely on selling data to stay "free")
iCloud has encrypted transfer and storage (I do use Google drive as well but important stuff goes on iCloud)

However I may never buy another Macbook for a few glaring issues:
Final Cut Pro/Aperture editing software was watered down for the sake of simplicity and the pros moved back to Adobe
Recent issues with the keyboards and thermals because they are trying to be thin and light
Price has gone up while repair/upgradeability has gone down post Jobs

If my 8 year old Macbook ever dies I would consider an iPad Pro especially with the upcoming iPadOS. The tablet should be able to do most of what I used a laptop for and power use will just have to be on my desktop PC. I already own a compact bluetooth mechanical keyboard

I have an old Apple watch from a friend and it is pretty impressive how apple products sync together. Android users always say it's nothing until they actually try it

81 - 89 of 89 Posts