Canadian Money Forum banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I have dell intel core quad here. But a little bit slower and always lag. Thought I might have to get a new model ahead.
Before considering a new laptop, I'd first confirm that you don't have a lot of unnecessary applications running; that your hard drive is not getting too full; and that your internet connection is not a restriction.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I'll get an SSD when I can afford it, realistically a 2TB drive is pretty expensive, and well my 1TB drive is full.

That includes backing up most of my data offsite (I love AWS S3, as long as I don't need to get most of it back)

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I'll get an SSD when I can afford it, realistically a 2TB drive is pretty expensive, and well my 1TB drive is full.
I assume you mean laptop? Because otherwise you just add a 256GB SSD and clone your OS/programs to it or fresh install them. Keep the data on 1TB HDD

I was able to do this in my MacBook Pro by removing the CDROM (never used it once) and moving the original HDD into its place (requires a $20 adapter)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use a 4-year-old Asus i3-2350M with 2GB graphics (500GB HDD). The only thing I'm missing is an SSD. I bought it for about $550 back then. If you're willing to take the risk, look at some fresh refurbished ones.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I assume you mean laptop? Because otherwise you just add a 256GB SSD and clone your OS/programs to it or fresh install them. Keep the data on 1TB HDD
No reason not to use SSD on laptop or desktop. And 256GB is usually enough. One size larger better if only room for one. Larger installed HDs just bog system down when doing security/virus checks, especially at startup.

My Lenovo laptop has capability of holding two SSDS. I have Win 7 on one and data/programs on other (both 256G). I also have the original 256GB drive on a DVD drive adapter with Win 10 installed, but almost never use that. Don't have any massive 1TB or 2TB external storage. Use cloud storage (Gdrive, Onedrive, Dropbox) for that which can be accessed from anywhere.

·
Registered
10,365 Posts
No reason not to use SSD on laptop or desktop. And 256GB is usually enough. One size larger better if only room for one. Larger installed HDs just bog system down when doing security/virus checks, especially at startup.

My Lenovo laptop has capability of holding two SSDS. I have Win 7 on one and data/programs on other (both 256G). I also have the original 256GB drive on a DVD drive adapter with Win 10 installed, but almost never use that. Don't have any massive 1TB or 2TB external storage. Use cloud storage (Gdrive, Onedrive, Dropbox) for that which can be accessed from anywhere.
Tend to agree. My Dell laptop has a 512GB SSD and currently 266GB of 466GB is free.

I do have a 1TB external HDD where I copy all my files 1-2 times a year and put back in my file cabinet (not connected due to ransomware risk). I could just as easy use 3-4 32GB USD keys to do all that. All of my files that reside on the laptop also are in the cloud..... Dropbox (freebie limit only), One Drive (1TB I think that comes with annual Office 365 subscription) and GDrive (that comes along with my Gmail address, etc). Lots of space for Documents, Photos, Music and Videos. Cloud storage and USB keys have gotten so cheap I will not buy any more external HDDs.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
There has been some misleading info on-line about Gdrive support ending. But it is just how we access it that is changing, it seems.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/4-things-you-should-know-about-google-drives-future/

Dropbox has recently annoyed a lot of users who used the Public folder for links. They changed the way it works and this resulted in thousands of links on the many forums like this to no longer work. Company is not user friendly and based on the way they handled this issue, I am going to transition to gdrive and onedrive for our backups. Dropbox is also ending support for XP and Vista, so those still using those (my wife!) have to change to another system anyway.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've had a handful of Thinkpads over the years. They kind of became my preferred brand after I had a chance to use a couple as my work laptop.
I was able to source my first couple (an X61 and a T41p) through some pricing errors that were honoured which were posted on Redflag deals. Those were branded as IBM and were really solid. The X61 is still functional if just to browse the web.

My last two have been a T520 and a W541 (current) which were bought new off the Lenovo Friends and Family website. Though both are nice machines, I've had glitchiness with both of them. The T520 has had video card problems and the W541 has had some audio glitchiness. However, when I buy my next laptop within 5 years and it'll likely be another Thinkpad. I still like the Thinkpad brand overall but they don't seem as bulletproof as they were when they were IBM branded.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Actually IBM Thinkpads are some of the top-notch machines. Thinkpads and HP Probooks. And believe me I've used quite a decent number of laptops overtime, and know people who have used / still use Thinkpads. Probooks are fine machines as well. I would believe they fall in the same category as the Thinkpads do.

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
Actually IBM Thinkpads are some of the top-notch machines. Thinkpads and HP Probooks. And believe me I've used quite a decent number of laptops overtime, and know people who have used / still use Thinkpads. Probooks are fine machines as well. I would believe they fall in the same category as the Thinkpads do.
I bought a refurbished Lenovo T520 from IBM 4 years ago. Still works perfectly. SSD for main drive helps. Not many laptops have capability of up to three hard drives! Mine has HD wide screen. Only downside compared with newer laptops is USB 2 instead of 3, but I seldom use USB for anything requiring speed (except maybe backing up to external drive)

Not sure if was in BestBuy or Staples Boxing Day flyer, but there did seem to be some decent options in the just under $1000 range. But no need here, unless my wife's older laptop gives up.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
We use Lenovo Thinkpads for work. Compared to MacBook I find them extremely heavy, noisy, horribly dull screen, tiny scratchy plasticy track pad. They have better specs than my 2012 MacBook Pro and yet run slower with all the Windows bloatware and updates just doing email and browsing? I can still edit HD video on the old Mac with SSD no issue and it holds 2 hard drives which is lots. Not a fan of any new MacBooks though

USB 3 is already outdated by USB C. Next Laptop I buy will have to be charged by USB C as nearly all my electronics are USB powered now (no more need for AC power inverter bricks while travelling)

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I find them extremely heavy, noisy, horribly dull screen, tiny scratchy plasticy track pad.
That does not describe my Thinkpad at all.
Noisy? - Almost Zero noise from mine. Hard to know it is running.
Dull screen? My display is 15.6" FHD 1920x1080 60Hz RG-ph LED backlit LCD and is super clear. Brightness of course adjustable. As good as I have seen anywhere. Capable of higher external resolution via Displayport, but never tried that.
tiny scratchy pasticy(sic) track pad?? - Pad is 3.25x1.75 inches. what would they use other than plastic? scratchy? soundless when used. I use mouse anyway.

Really don't understand what you were talking about unless you are given el cheapo low cost Lenovos where you work :)

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
T520 maxed out from about 2014. I use it and upgraded 2012 MacBook Pro side by side daily

Touchpads are not even comparable. You can search reviews of Thinkpad vs MacBook touchpad to see what I mean. Macbook touchpad is not plastic, about twice the size and is integrated with the OS. You would never use a mouse again.

Thinkpad screen is very dull compared to the MacBook screen. Thinkpad just looks washed out by comparison. MacBook screens looks great without settings. You can search I think it is generally accepted the MacBooks have good screens

My ThinkPad fan is louder and also the plastic parts make more creaky noises. Not sure if this is a common comparison but the aluminum body seems to dissipate heat better and not squeak as much. MacBook does get hotter on lap

Spec wise the T520 is newer and better so that's where people will say it's better value. What really surprised me is running them side by side the older MacBook runs much faster, regardless of specs. This is software integration at work

Work updates probably slow the T520 down some. I'd pay more for a MacBook again but I don't like any of the new ones

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
m3S - check the display spec. The T520 had numerous display options, all others lesser than the one I have. If it doesn't have an SSD for main drive, put one in. Makes all the difference. I gave up on Apple when they stopped supporting the Apple 2e ;)

A 15.6" T520 is really a modern day Desktop. I would have bought a T430 if I wanted to lug it around.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
Yea it's a work laptop so I can't modify it. T520 is indeed a beast for travel. It weighs far more than the rest of my travel kit combined.. T430 would have made more sense especially because we use docs/dual monitors in the office

I have a SSD for main drive in the 2012 MBP. Seems more comparable with T430 but still once you use the Apple track pad you will not go back. Shame the new MacBooks are horrible but crazy mine works great after 6 years

61 - 80 of 89 Posts