Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 60 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Now a days online shopping is the best option. You can compare your product on different ecommerce site and order from where it is having lowest rate.

Madhav Jhan
Except you don't see screen quality, which was actually the reason I was considering the Dell, and looking back, maybe I underrated that aspect.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Where can you get a good laptop cheap.
They all seem to gouge for more memory or a SSD, anyone have luck lately?
I know it's always the case they charge a bit more than the retail price difference, but it seems adding a SSD is $500, or moving up to 8gb of memory is a few hundred.

I'm tempted to just buy a laptop and upgrade those components right away.
Just check out the local bestbuy and get a 500$ laptop(if not then just order off amazon). It'll run all your needs for the average consumer. Any higher end stuff you should just buy a computer.

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Just check out the local bestbuy and get a 500$ laptop(if not then just order off amazon). It'll run all your needs for the average consumer. Any higher end stuff you should just buy a computer.
I wouldn't buy from Bestbuy, Costco is often cheaper with a better return policy.

A Laptop IS a computer, I don't really understand your point. I prefer a desktop, but I actually need a laptop for some things.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Although, it’s down to personal choice and budget, but I wouldn’t be playing with quality just for sake of price. I like decent screen size while I am okay with slightly higher price, at least it’s worthy. I go with HP mainly while Dell is also decent choice.

·
Registered
18,322 Posts
I would not buy this kind of thing on craigslist. Besides the issue of it being potentially stolen or used for a crime, laptops are rather delicate things, and you have no idea how it was treated. Laptops are cheap enough that you can just buy one online through a reputable web site. Or Costco, as mentioned (though I've never tried this).

I also would not buy refurbished. I would buy a refurbished lamp, but not a computer. Check out the following places. I have purchased quite a bit of equipment from all three -- I've bought printers, monitors, and a laptop (at Tiger Direct retail store). They often have deals of the week and we're in a good times for promotions, from now til February probably:

NCIX: http://www.ncix.com
Direct Canada: https://www.directcanada.com
Tiger Direct: http://www.tigerdirect.ca (also have retail stores in Toronto & Mississauga)

·
Registered
237 Posts
I also would not buy refurbished. I would buy a refurbished lamp, but not a computer.
I disagree. I have bought refurbished Lenovo laptops, Nikons and unlocked Samsung phones. Each looked brand new and there was considerable cost savings over buying new. I would not hesitate to buy refurbished from a reputable vendor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Best way is to read some reviews on websites like Cnet or go to a local store and play with some laptops to find out which one will good for your needs.

41 - 60 of 90 Posts