Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
14,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Canada's 2021 budget gets dropped on the table on Monday, April 19th and indications are it will be a doozy.

Nothing like a little extra jingle in the pockets to perk people up a little.

Good timing for Trudeau as well. The latest polls show the Liberals went up a little and the Conservatives went down a smidge.

Trudeau is trending in right direction and a popular budget be helpful to the Liberals.

·
Registered
13,655 Posts
sags, I'm more than a little disgusted. The country racked up a tonne of debt to manage this crisis, and you are just hungry for more.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Yeah, he's trending in the right direction for his own political self preservation while taking the country down the financial shitter. I'd love to see the idiot gone but the damage he's done is irreparable by now anyways .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah, he's trending in the right direction for his own political self preservation while taking the country down the financial shitter. I'd love to see the idiot gone but the damage he's done is irreparable by now anyways .
Canada need a competent opposition, we need a conservative government that focus on fiscal and economic conservatism, and not the odious crowd that like to force its will on others.

P.S: Despite I am a religious person, I believe true piety cannot be forced, but have to come from someone's heart voluntarily, so I don't force my social conservative ideas on other people, but instead, I try to persuade others and leave the choice to them.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Oh yeah, it will be an election budget.
I'm not sure if he's going to go.
1. UBI because people want money now.
2. Pharmacare, because people care about healthcare.
3. Universal Daycare, because they can promise it, but not deliver for a few years as they complete their "pandemic response"

I don't believe the damage is irreparable yet. He hasn't actually created a massive new structural problem, just piled on debt with one off spending.
I don't even think he's been able to boost CPP appreciably.

The big programs above, those would be structural problems. But I'm not sure he's capable of getting them through, they are much more work, and he's the PM because he's electable, not because he's competent.

If it was competence, Freeland would be in charge, not Trudeau, just like Elliot would be in charge, not Ford.
Of course being competent makes you a really good deputy.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Crossing my fingers for a small wealth tax on the $10M+ net worth individuals.
A man can dream...
Why would you want such a thing?
Do you think capital flight is a good thing?
You really want to chase investment out of Canada, right when we need to invest to ensure we have adequate resources for the next pandemic?
Destroy family farms and move them to nice corporate factory farms?

Now, don't get me wrong, I understand the appeal of wealth distribution, and how the people who push for it are selfish and greedy, but don't want to admit it.
But just looking at how it will be a negative impact, I don't know why anyone who bothered to get informed would support it.

·
Registered
14,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Canada suffers from an infrastructure deficit caused in the past by a lack of political will to allocate sufficient spending. We need to prepare for the future and a low interest rate environment is an opportune time to structure long term debt.

The Trudeau government has a vision for the future that requires massive spending now.

I think most Canadians understand and support that vision, and it would be disappointing if the Liberals listen to the naysayers and back off as has happened in past governments.

We can't keep kicking the big expenses down the road. We need to address them now.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Why would you want such a thing?
Do you think capital flight is a good thing?
You really want to chase investment out of Canada, right when we need to invest to ensure we have adequate resources for the next pandemic?
snip snip
I think if it was done right, say, by having similar measures in the US and by making it a small percentage, capital would not flee out of the country. My problem with people having massive wealth is not that they are rich, it's that this money is mostly sitting there virtually doing nothing while we need to keep raising taxes on the middle class and go into more debt to fund public services.

I'm not sure what you mean with family farms, I'm not talking about taking money from business assets.

Here, this link may help visualize the wealth problem I'm talking about:
Wealth shown to scale

·
Registered
14,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The Walton family (Walmart owners) earn $4 million US per hour......24 hours a day....every day.

The wealth and income gaps have been growing every year.

At some point it is unsustainable for a society to have so few people own so much wealth.

While the middle class struggle to pay their bills, the wealthy spend millions on cardboard sports cards and NFTs.

Meanwhile, the average charitable donation by the super wealthy is pitifully small.

Jeff Bezos gave 0.1% of his wealth to charity and billionaires donate less of their wealth as a % than average Americans. A few.......like Warren Buffet and BIll Gates bring up the overall average to 0.8%.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Alas, we have a very divided, very ineffective Official Opposition who seem unable or unwilling to present a reasonable alternative to the current bunch. The polls indicate that they are as bad as each other in the eyes of the voters. With good reason.

I cannot see much change.. Seems to be more and more of the same. Tweedle dee and tweedle dum. Neither party, IMHO, is deserving of a vote. And the others are non starters. Not very good for we luckless taxpayers. It would be a nice change to vote for one instead of voting against one.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I think if it was done right, say, by having similar measures in the US and by making it a small percentage, capital would not flee out of the country. My problem with people having massive wealth is not that they are rich, it's that this money is mostly sitting there virtually doing nothing while we need to keep raising taxes on the middle class and go into more debt to fund public services.

I'm not sure what you mean with family farms, I'm not talking about taking money from business assets.

Wealth shown to scale
I bolded the flaw in your argument.
Lets take Jeff Bezos, or Elon Musk, or Sergy Brin, or Larry Page, or whichever wealthy person you choose.
The vast majority of their wealth is invested in companies doing things.

Read the section on Capital flight.
France implemented a wealth tax, they got 2.6B in revenue, but lost over 120B in capital. Do you any any idea how much tax revenue you can generate off 120B in capital?

In short I oppose wealth taxes because.
1. They're bad for the country.
2. They reduce tax revenue.
3. They're built off a faulty premise.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
I have never understood the rationale behind a wealth tax. It seems to me the sensible place for a tax is at the income or profit level.

For those that favour a wealth tax.....how would you like to pay one on your personal wealth after paying as much as 53 points on your incremental income to get that wealth?

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I have never understood the rationale behind a wealth tax. It seems to me the sensible place for a tax is at the income or profit level.

For those that favour a wealth tax.....how would you like to pay one on your personal wealth after paying as much as 53 points on your incremental income to get that wealth?
Wealth tax is simple, it's greed. They have money, I want it, so I'll send guys with guns to take it.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
Wealth shown to scale
Great illustration, the link doesn't work, well it links to a page that says swipe right, but you can't.
Can you explain what the problem is?
Don't you think people should get paid what they're worth?\

Wealth taxes are actually hilarious, it punishes people for investing, instead of spending it all now. It's exactly the opposite of what you want in society.
I think it's better to build a car factory than a car, but I guess you disagree.

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
The link works fine, use your keyboard right arrow or mouse wheel if you got one that clicks sideways.
Yeah, still doesn't show a problem, explains numbers to people with coloured boxes. But doesn't show a problem.

I understand your problem, you don't like that Jeff Bezos happens to own a lot of the company he built.
So your solution is make it harder to build and invest, then there will be fewer new companies, less innovation, fewer jobs, but at least Jeff Bezos won't be super duper rich.
Some even like to complain how greedy and selfish he is, despite donating billions to charity.

Do you really think it would be a better world if Elon Musk didn't push electric cars?
You're so jealous of rich people you're willing to kill the golden goose.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I'm sure the Trudeau peeps are looking for the best way to p*ss off the CPC, so they can trigger the election for them. This budget will be a checkmate for the cons. I hate trudeau as well, but seeing the CPC going down in flames is such a sweet theater.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts