Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As expected, Budget 2010 doesn't contain much in the way of personal finance measures. However, you might be interested in some changes:

- Single parents receiving UCCB benefits will get some tax relief.
- RDSP grants can be carried forward for a period of 10 years.
- RRSP / RRIF can be rolled over on a tax-free basis into RDSP accounts.

http://www.canadiancapitalist.com/notes-from-budget-2010/

Ottawa-area residents who elected to defer the taxes on stock option benefits receive some great news in the budget.

http://www.canadiancapitalist.com/budget-2010-provides-relief-for-stock-option-tax-deferral-elections/

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
In the end I want them to manage the debt and the deficit so we have a future. I like that they are paying attention to the economy so we don't suffer a depression, but at the same time paying attention to our future. At this time the Liberals and NDP I don't think have this in mind.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
I agree with dog.

The coalition by its very nature showed it didn't care about our finances and it instead colluded to strongarm the gov't to pay bailouts based on their ideaology. Their self-serving grandstanding caused the finance minister to have to introduce the deficit that was announced yesterday. Remember that when your services are being cut and taxes (now called "fees" or "fines") are raised and introduced in the coming years to battle this deficit.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I would have liked to have seen a little more effort towards deficit reduction but the budget is probably a reasonable compromise given the current political reality.

·
Banned
21 Posts
I would have liked another year on the HRTC but in the end, I'm just happy they didn't go after my pension. Looks like another 2-3 years of frozen wages. Lets hope inflation doesn't go crazy as I'm already living on a 2007/08salary. More with less I guess.

Overall, I can't complain. Should be another easy Collective Agreement for PIPSC.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Personally, I have some pretty low fiscal expectations from the government and doubt very much that the deficit will be gone in 5 years. It strikes me as the same sort of thing that the Mulroney and Harris governments used to try (no surprise there). Even without the stimulus funding, the government was heading into major deficit territory. Maybe it's just me, but when you start taking an axe to taxes (corporate and GST cuts) and increase public spending by a significant amount, surpluses are going to turn into deficits quickly, especially when you plan budgets to equal to 0 with no contingency fund or plans to pay off the debt.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It was a pretty 'blase' budget, huh? Nothing really big, I suppose, as expected. I thought they would have paid a bit more attention to the environment, though. At least they didn't hike up GST??

·
Banned
10 Posts
It was a pretty 'blase' budget, huh? Nothing really big, I suppose, as expected. I thought they would have paid a bit more attention to the environment, though. At least they didn't hike up GST??
Thank God they didn't hike up the GST!

I think after the mess in Copenhagen, they weren't going to touch that much on it. It is actually rather sad.

·
Registered
305 Posts
So, under the rosiest projections, the deficit is gone in 5 years, just in time for the next recession and some more massive deficits. Looks like a structural deficit to me, when they can only turn a surplus when the economy is firing on all cylinders.

·
Registered
12,797 Posts
So, under the rosiest projections, the deficit is gone in 5 years, just in time for the next recession and some more massive deficits. Looks like a structural deficit to me, when they can only turn a surplus when the economy is firing on all cylinders.
They're not even promising a surplus. Just a smaller deficit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts