Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let us help the government with our own budget ideas and maybe the Canadian Money forum can forward this to Ottawa. If you are like me then you are not comfortable with all these deficits and the idiotic opposition parties with no good ideas and only criticism to add then maybe it is our turn to help out.

Stimulus:
On stimulus I believe it should only go to help increase our productivity down the road and not used to just prop up a failing company or whatever. Incentives should be given to people who raise productivity in their workplace and also any ideas that cut waste and help the environment in their company.

Tax breaks or greater write offs should be given to companies that purchase equipment that helps their company reduce energy needs and also save the company money at the same time. Equipment that doesn't do anything to help in this way should not get any breaks in taxes or write downs.

Health Care:
Here we should give incentives to any employees down to the janitor who come up with ideas to cut bureaucracy save money and cut waste. We should also empower those people to take more responsibility and get rid of as many managers and useless people as we possibly can and in return adding more to the money they could possibly earn.

I am not sure how things can get done but instead of just cutting workers and not getting the work done why not use them as a greater assets. In turn their productivity will increase their earnings helping the economy and also saving the government money.

Crime:
I suggest any drug user caught doing crime to support their habit should be forced into mandatory withdrawal. They will not go to a normal jail but instead will go through withdrawal and then be better educated and helped get back into the community.

We should also set up places where we can tax prostitution and provide better health care for them. Of course before entering such places there should be education and such to help these people get out of this business.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I have long advocated charging any politician lying in their campaign promises be charged with fraud.

The punishment for this kind of fraud would be using laser hair removal to remove their hair and tattooing LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE on their skull.

It has gotten the point that there is no way to judge what the hell anyone is going to do in office because the minute they get voted in they immediately turn their office into a dictatorship until the next election. Then they work really hard making new lies so they get elected again.

You don't even know who to vote for because it's all fabrication.

Put that on your poll :)

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry Dr V I am not pushing for any of the parties including the Conservatives. I am disappointed in the opposition parties because they say idiotic things like we need stimulus now. Then later on say the debt they pushed onto the government because of a minority situation is all the fault of the government because they are not in power.

Anyway the government has asked for ideas from Canadians to help with the budget and debt problems so any ideas.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Let us help the government with our own budget ideas and maybe the Canadian Money forum can forward this to Ottawa. If you are like me then you are not comfortable with all these deficits and the idiotic opposition parties with no good ideas and only criticism to add then maybe it is our turn to help out.
Since you asked :) following are my ideas:
#1 : Give incentives (taxes, grants, etc.) to companies that actively encourage, implement and measure tele-commuting/work-from-home for permanent, FT employees.
Benefits are innumerable - energy savings, less traffic/pollution, lower stress levels, better work/life balance, higher productivity, etc.
The technology and infrastructure is there - all that is needed is a change in mindset, attitude and a kick in the butt (via incentives)

#2 : One, common harmonized standard sales tax mechanism across the country mandatory for all provinces.
No more HST, QST, GST, PST, SST bullsth.
All provinces and territories to have one single sales tax.
Rates can obviously vary from province to province, but maximum tax rate to be capped at 10%.
If a province needs to charge more than 10% of the value of a particular good or service as tax, there is either something wrong with the economy/budgeting of that province or something wrong with that product.

#3 : Provide incentives and tax credit for single-income families where one spouse chooses to stay home and care for their younger children.
Right now, such families are at a huge disadvantage from the tax perspective.
Raising of children (esp. pre-schoolers) by their parents should be encouraged and not discouraged the way it is.

#4 : Increase funding of day care centers and improve regulation of day care, nanny and babysitting services.
Well regular and well funded child care system is absolutely essential, regardless of point #3 above.

#5 : Make additional, voluntary contributions into CPP as optional - we had a discussion thread on this topic a couple of weeks ago.
I think this is a great idea and will work very well for those who don't have gold-plated, defined benefit pension plans.

#6 : Tighten the tax net around "self-employed" and "registered home business" owners who are claiming all sorts of personal expenses as business expenses and are essentially free-loaders.
I know, this is easier said than done, but there is a huge leakage of tax revenues as a result of this.

#7 : Reduce income taxes and increase luxury goods consumption taxes, such as consumer electronics, sports events, concerts, entertainement events, etc.

#8 : Increase interest rates. Period.

#9 : Massive investment into cutting edge, rapid, effective public transit systems.
Our public transit system is decades old and puts us to shame.
Some third-world countries have better public transit systems than us.
And I'm not talking about adding a few new trains or a few new buses.
I'm talking about (for example), high speed, commuter trains that go from Waterloo (ON) to Toronto downtown in 1 hr. (express), from London, ON to Ottawa in 4 hrs. (express).
The USSR had this kind of system like 30 years ago.
Japan's had it for decades.
Europe is way ahead in this game, and now China is catching up.

#10 : More investment and incentives in development of less populated, remote areas in the mid-west and northern reaches of Ontario and beyond.
Settlement initiatives to distribute the population to less developed areas.

My $0.02.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
A prettty good list Harold, but a few problems with it.

#1 : Give incentives (taxes, grants, etc.) to companies that actively encourage, implement and measure tele-commuting/work-from-home for permanent, FT employees. ... etc
Sounds good in theory, but every time the federal government gets into micromanaging economy with grants & incentives it becomes either a bureaucratic boondoggle or outright fraud.

#2 : One, common harmonized standard sales tax mechanism across the country mandatory for all provinces.
Agree in principle, and it should be built into retail prices so the price on the tag is what you pay at the cash. (We have this commitment to making the GST/HST "visible" for political reasons - the Europeans think we're nuts. And we could get rid of the penny as side benefit.) I'm not sure your cap of 10% is practicable, and certainly woudln't be agreed to by any province. GST is 5%, so provinces with 6-8% PST would have to cut their revenue, which won't fly in present times.

#3 : Provide incentives and tax credit for single-income families where one spouse chooses to stay home and care for their younger children.

Agree wholeheartedly. Income tax reform is needed to address demand-side management for day care.

#4 : Increase funding of day care centers and improve regulation of day care, nanny and babysitting services.

This is supply-side management, which is provincial responsibility, and tehrefore not part of federal budget. But I agree, except the goal should not be universal day care. First we make it affordable for more families to raise their own children; then we provide support for those who still can't afford it. Day care should be addressed on the basis of need, not want.

#5 : Make additional, voluntary contributions into CPP as optional - we had a discussion thread on this topic a couple of weeks ago.

Agree, but it won't solve the problem of people who aren't saving enough for retirement now unless it is eventually made mandatory.

#6 : Tighten the tax net around "self-employed" and "registered home business" owners who are claiming all sorts of personal expenses as business expenses and are essentially free-loaders.

Agree, not to mention undeclared revenue from all those people who are willing to offer you a big discount for paying cash.

#7 : Reduce income taxes and increase luxury goods consumption taxes, such as consumer electronics, sports events, concerts, entertainement events, etc.

Agree with reducing income taxes and increasing consumption taxes. But trying to single out "luxury goods" was tried in the distant past, and replaced with taxes like GST & PST. It is hellish to administer and encourages black markets in luxury goods. (and good luck trying to get anyone to agree on a definiton of luxury goods.)

#8 : Increase interest rates. Period.

This has so many economic implications I don't think i can comment. It may be a nice wish for investors, but affects cost of so many other things, be careful what you wish for. In any case interest rates are not set by budget speeches.

#9 : Massive investment into cutting edge, rapid, effective public transit systems.

I agree in principle (The devil will be in the details)

#10 : More investment and incentives in development of less populated, remote areas in the mid-west and northern reaches of Ontario and beyond.
Settlement initiatives to distribute the population to less developed areas.

I thought the rapid transit was a pipe dream until I read this one. Not that I disagree with the objective. Paving over southern Ontario for an ever-expanding GTA is so wrong in so many ways. But how to achieve it in our "free" society? In a small way sky-rocketing real estate prices in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, are leading many retirees to do this voluntarily. But there doesn't seem to be any government policy to facilitate it (Can you imagine an MPP running on a platform of "Vote for Me - I will see that you have to move out of your home town, away from all your family and friends"? And the GTA controls so many votes, they aren't going to elect anyone who promises to limit its growth. In any case, really a provincial responsibilty.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
#1 : Give incentives (taxes, grants, etc.) to companies that actively encourage, implement and measure tele-commuting/work-from-home for permanent, FT employees.
They don't need incentives: this is something that makes good business sense on its own. The more people who work out of their homes, the less office space you have to pay for. More and more of my colleagues are becoming full-time telecommuters, and my company's considering downsizing a few of its offices to move into smaller spaces with lower rent. There are a lot of empty offices and cubicles on the floors they're renting now.

I've been a full-time telecommuter since 1994; I don't think I could ever work in an office again although sometimes I do miss having other people around.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Sounds good in theory, but every time the federal government gets into micromanaging economy with grants & incentives it becomes either a bureaucratic boondoggle or outright fraud.
Maybe, but it is worth trying.
The cost we as a society are paying for this anachronistic and feudal practice that the entire productive population commuting on average 2 - 4 hrs. every day to get to a place of work is simply mind boggling.
If ever aliens were to visit us, they would say these people are nuts.
Not easy of course, but it will be possible to implement.
The technology and infrastructre is there and a lot of professions and job positions these days lends itself well to tele-commuting.
Presently, it is only small, isolated companies that allow this out of the goodness of their hearts - we need more widespread acceptance, and fast.
I'm not sure your cap of 10% is practicable, and certainly woudln't be agreed to by any province. GST is 5%, so provinces with 6-8% PST would have to cut their revenue, which won't fly in present times.
Agreed, and yet the present times are the precise reason why we need fiscal responsibility.
The recent tax grab by the Ontario provincial govt. is exactly what we need to avoid - surreptitiously increasing taxes and cost of living for everyone.
The idea that a good or service should be taxed more than 10% of its value is just wrong.
This is supply-side management, which is provincial responsibility, and tehrefore not part of federal budget. But I agree, except the goal should not be universal day care. First we make it affordable for more families to raise their own children; then we provide support for those who still can't afford it. Day care should be addressed on the basis of need, not want.
Without a doubt.
I didn't mean to imply that day care funding should be with the intent of sending everyone to work.
Quite the opposite in fact.
Agree, but it won't solve the problem of people who aren't saving enough for retirement now unless it is eventually made mandatory.
No, it won't solve that problem.
The only "solution" to that problem is a Soviet-style society where there is no concept of personal savings.
I would never intent for such a thing to be mandatory - purely voluntary.
This has so many economic implications I don't think i can comment. It may be a nice wish for investors, but affects cost of so many other things, be careful what you wish for. In any case interest rates are not set by budget speeches.
True, I mean this more as a policy direction not just this budget speech.
But we do need to reel in the real estate bubble and control the stealthy inflation in essential goods and services.
I thought the rapid transit was a pipe dream until I read this one. Not that I disagree with the objective. Paving over southern Ontario for an ever-expanding GTA is so wrong in so many ways. But how to achieve it in our "free" society? In a small way sky-rocketing real estate prices in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, are leading many retirees to do this voluntarily. But there doesn't seem to be any government policy to facilitate it (Can you imagine an MPP running on a platform of "Vote for Me - I will see that you have to move out of your home town, away from all your family and friends"? And the GTA controls so many votes, they aren't going to elect anyone who promises to limit its growth. In any case, really a provincial responsibilty.
True, but in a modern society, we need high speed transit systems.
VIA Rail has a place but it is not a transit system.
Between the encouragement of tele-commuting as a regular practice and the building of high-speed transit systems, we can begin to address the issues of pollution, congestion, road rage accidents, high stress levels, energy consumption, etc.

Thanks for your critique actually, really appreciated.
I accept your points respectfully.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haroldcrump I agree with the rapid transit ideas you have and we should start to build that as part of the stimulus plans.

On interest rates I think it is best to stop things by requiring people have like 20 percent down to buy a house or not allow 30 or 35 year mortgages. Also I think when the economy starts to overheat later in a bull market why not raise taxes a lot to destroy things instead of using interest rates to kill the economy leading to a recession. This way the extra money can go to paying down debt instead of paying more to bond holders.

·
Registered
240 Posts

Agree, not to mention undeclared revenue from all those people who are willing to offer you a big discount for paying cash.
They're already doing it , just unsuccessfully , it's easier to get taxes out of the average "working clones" , which I assume you are.

Don't be jealous because we self-employed decided to do it our own way , and beat an already corrupt system , have you seen government and corporate allowable expenses , ours are a drop in the ocean when compared.

Know thy real enemy , we give up a lot in the quest to control our own finances and keep a little more of "our own" money , our government manipulates the working clone to think this way in order to help them achieve their goals , divide and conquer , (call the CRA tip line on those bastards!!).:D

If you want to work for someone else and have them take control of your finances and make "deductions" they see fit , as well a reaping the benefits of employer contributions , EI , company medical and dental , etc., then fine , but don,t whine about it and call the rest of us "freeloaders".

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
... it's easier to get taxes out of the average "working clones" , which I assume you are.

Don't be jealous because we self-employed decided to do it our own way , and beat an already corrupt system , have you seen government and corporate allowable expenses , ours are a drop in the ocean when compared.
Maybe it is secret jealousy. But arguing that it is OK for you to cheat the rest of us taxpayers because of a few corrupt people at the top doesn't fly with me. The amount of money any one individual is hiding may be small, but in aggregate the underground economy is large.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
We need to legalize, illegal drugs. It is a colosal waste of time and money fighting this losing battle. Take that money and put it into education and rehab. I mean, they can legalize heroin tommorrow and I am not going to start using it. For the people that do, lets keep them from mugging someone on the street or selling their bodies.

Which brings me to my next one.

We need to legalize prostitution. After 50,000 years of fighting this, I think the battle is lost. Men want women, women want men's money and I doubt a new law or jail is going to change that anytime soon. Regulate it, tax it and get it off the streets and into the bedrooms where it belongs.

We need to lower the minimum wage. Everytime they raise the minimum wage they put, not only a whack of people at that level, out of work, as these jobs are sent overseas, but they put all the skilled labour, who supervised, managed and engineered those jobs, out of work as well. We can't keep our economy going, by sending all our jobs overseas and lets face it, I have met enough stupid people in our country that are just not worth $10an hour. I am sorry, but that's the way it is.

They need to cut all extracurricular items like sports, out of our education system, above and beyond Phys ed. Too many kids get their self-esteem from sports as opposed to achedemic achievement and hence never achieve much achedemically. Sports has no place within our education system and has probably little place in our society as a whole.

We need to make bankruptcy laws more stringent. This pay a few bucks, say your sorry (oh thats right, they don't have to say that) and get out of debt free system we have is rediculous.

We need to increase the tax on gasoline by at least a $1 per litre. Only by price can we reduce our dependancy on this resource. We can use this revenue to provide subsidies for more non-renewable resources.

I've got more, but lets take a vote now. All who want to vote for me, say aye ! Maybe that lack of noise is why these measures never seem to get implemented.

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
I whole-heartedly agree with all of OptsyEagle's recommendations - awesome list!
However, I'll quality this last point (extra $1/litre gas tax) if and only if my point#9 is implemented i.e. massive and significant improvement in public transit.
A significant chunk of modern-day professionals livelihood depends on the automobile, esp. contractors, consultants, freelance professionals etc.
Give me the incentive to tele-commute, give me public transit when I do need it and I'll stop using the automobile for daily driving.
Heck, I'll even pay the local, provincial, federal govt. cost + profit on their investments in public transit I don't need subsidized transit.

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
That was a lot of fun, so maybe I will go on.

We need to shut down all public colleges and universities. This service is much better provided privately. Compare an individuals abilities who take one of those intensive 6 month computer courses offerred by private education companies versus a person who takes a two year course at a community college and you will see my point. I will bet the teacher in the private school doesn't have 2 months off in the summer and an ironclad indexed defined benefit pension plan, either. Take the savings here and subsidize those private offerings.

Get rid of the catholic school board. Religion and government have nothing to do with each other. If people want their children in a religious school, they can pay for it themselves. On that point, it wouldn't hurt to take the savings here and start an ad campaign, educating people on the fact that there is no god. We have done a good job breaking the myth of the easter bunny, the tooth fairy and santa claus, but this god thing really seems to stick. OK people, I may wreck your day, but do you know what happens when you die. Nothing, you are dead. You decompose. That's it. There is no sole. You are not punished for being bad, you are not rewarded for being good ... you are dead. Once humanity embraces this I think we might be able to start on world peace, but there are still a few more things to tackle for this.

Forget rehabilitation. Forget even punishment. Jails are simply to take bad people who have proven that they cannot co-exist with good people, and get them out of good people's lives. So, we take them out of our society and we lock them up. That is the only purpose of jails. With this in mind, we should lock them up longer and take away most of their ameneties, for cost savings. I am not concerned about their well being or whether they rehabilitate or not. I never needed to rehabilitate so why should they. Get them out of my life. That is what jails are for. You can hug them all you want, it won't matter.

Shut down all public libraries. What a waste of money. They are nothing but a copyright infringement on authors for the few people who are too cheap to buy a book, newspaper or internet hook up. Most of this stuff can be obtained for free on the internet and one can use an internet cafe if they don't have a hook up.

I guess that enough for now. Nice campaign platform though, don't you think?

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
That was a lot of fun, so maybe I will go on.
Um...now it's getting a bit extreme and over the top.
Knowing you, I would assume this wasn't trolling and you actually believe it.
We need to shut down all public colleges and universities. This service is much better provided privately. Compare an individuals abilities who take one of those intensive 6 month computer courses offerred by private education companies versus a person who takes a two year course at a community college and you will see my point. I will bet the teacher in the private school doesn't have 2 months off in the summer and an ironclad indexed defined benefit pension plan, either. Take the savings here and subsidize those private offerings.
While I agree with parts of this plan, I think it'll be too extreme to shut down all public-funded educational institutions.
Get rid of the catholic school board. Religion and government have nothing to do with each other. If people want their children in a religious school, they can pay for it themselves.
This I totally agree with and would vote for.
Shut down all public libraries. What a waste of money. They are nothing but a copyright infringement on authors for the few people who are too cheap to buy a book, newspaper or internet hook up.
I'll beg to totally disagree with this.

·
Banned
419 Posts
I would cut jail expenses by providing the absolute minimum as required by the Geneva convention.

I would eliminate welfare. If you don't work you don't eat (disabled and elderly excluded).

I would turn off the money tap to Indians. Enough is enough.

Don't close my library.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Why? Are you one?

No I am making a trade off, you get many many benefits that you pay for I don't
I get to pay taxes on my OWN hard earned money after I deduct my ALLOWABLE expenses while you get to prepay them. Is that my fault what about the makes me a freeloader? If you telecommute from home doesn't your company claim the deductions or at least what they reimburse your for? Are you a freeloader?

If you aren't, why should you take offense?

Because it sounds Harold like you are making a rather sweeping statement about the business people who work from home. That if the do their taxes in the proper way they are taking advantage and I can assure you that's not true.

It is in your interest, as well, to plug such loopholes.

Why is it in my interest to pay more tax. I think it is in your interest to pay more tax so this year when you complete your return there is a box where you can donate money to the Opportunities Fund I think YOU should check that off and send them say an extra thousand or two.

But if you are, then you obviously know what I mean....

If we are going to reform tax law lets start with the companies that really don't pay their fair share. The large corporations.... they pay less marginal tax rate then the guy who asks you what you would like in your coffee at Timmys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cu5B-2LoC4s

Here's Warren Buffet talking about it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts