Canadian Money Forum banner

61 - 80 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
sounds to me like a good reason to buy shares in hcg ... what do bam and fairfax, two well managed companies, know, that we don't know ?
They know the details. They both do a pretty good job, I'm confident they'll walk away if the deal isn't good for them.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
dividends in the brookfield companies tend to be a PITA. Not only do the different brookfields pay original dividends in either USD or CAD on a somewhat haphazard basis, but the parent company BAM dot A (BAM in US markets) has taken it into its head to tinker around with the currency of dividends being sent out to brokers for the benefit of street clients.

BAM is doing this with the greatest goodwill in the world. At all times, BAM is intending to "help" the majority of canadian retail investors who hold their shares in street form at brokers.

very quaintly, BAM believes that retail investors holding shares at brokers are allowed to choose the currency of their dividend. Nothing could be more false, of course, but still. BAM has been told by the transfer agent - the same transfer agent that is misinforming Potash with the same nonsense - that investors holding street shares at certain brokerages have chosen CAD dividends while other broker investors have chosen USD dividends.

accordingly, for investors at brokers who are said to have "chosen" CAD dividends, BAM generously tries to converts its USD dividend to CAD at spot rates, in its own treasury division, before sending the bulk dividend payment out via the CDS system.

meanwhile BAM continues to send its regular dividend in the default currency, which is USD, to investors at other brokers who are not said to have "chosen" CAD.

potash has a similar confused story. There is some evidence that Algonquin has recently departed down the same confused path. The problem for retail investors at discount brokers is that we have no clue which currency such a dividend-paying company will use, since their actions differ from broker to broker. It is therefore difficult/impossible to hold shares in the currency-appropriate account in order to avoid broker FX fees.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
BAM.A (~$48) down 10% from May 2017 high, is at the top of my "watching to buy / sell" list.

If I was the Earl of StockSwitch, I would encourage BAM.A to continue dropping thru mid October, to a price where it will be very hard to buy. In the meantime, keeping watch for a turn.

Link: 12-stock CandleGlance sorted by RSI

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
$43-44 is my 'buy' point if it gets there. Necessary to get BAM at a good price because it's dividend yield is not going to be a major factor in Total Return.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
BAM is a disappointing stock imho. It shouldn't be but it is.

looking for a stock that's strong in alternative markets? Onex is a more attractive candidate.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
BAM is a disappointing stock imho. It shouldn't be but it is.
I tend to agree. I have watched it for a number of years. Other than a spurt in early 2015, it Just doesn't seem to break out despite seemingly making mostly wise business decisions.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
^^

of course the very day we finally give up & sell BAM will start its trajectory to the moon

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I'm reasonably happy with BAM. Bought it about a year ago and it's up 7.5% not including the dividend. Not extremely exciting but slow and steady often wins the race. I consider it a longer term play.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
spidey u made me do it. My records show that between mar/16 & aug/16 i bought BAM for an average price of CAD 42.60.

not including dividends, not including option sales, not including recent spin-offs of trisura & brookfield business partners shares, that basic BAM dot A works out to something like 12.98% return, or 10.40% per annum.

US option sales have been decent if difficult, another $1.85 in CAD, or 3.47% annualized return in option sales.

still, the company is sufficiently annoying for a retail option writer to consider letting the shares go under assignment. There's too much nuisance per dollar of profit.

what nuisance? for starters the company keeps changing the currency of the bulk dividend it transmits to the broker in question. Right now they're sending in USD but previously had been sending in CAD. That's only to certain brokers, though. Company doesn't divulge or discuss which brokers.

even messier are the frequent reorgs which spin out tiny bunches of different new shares. Lately it was Trisura, before that it was brookfield business partners. Problem is that the deliverables for all the options then change, one gets all these series & classes of irrregular options with or without the spun out shares.

since brookfield options are illiquid anyhow in both canada & the US, the options markets turn into dealers' dogs' breakfasts.

ONEX options are also illiquid & very difficult to trade, but at least ONEX doesn't keep leaking little bits of unwanted new shares every few months. ONEX shares have also risen from $28 to $100 in recent years, a significantly better performance than BAM.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
(humble - please don't remind me that i sold all my shares in Heather's husband's company a few years ago - @$30, which I thought was a nice profit then !!!)
:confusion:

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
HP, I have some EIF for a little diversification.
From G&M

INVESTING
Saturday, July 29, 2017

TED DIXON
Insiders take on Exchange Income short sellers Exchange Income Corp. (Friday's close $27.06) stock has been under pressure this month as short-sellers questioned the monthly dividend's sustainability.

Insiders are taking the other side of the trade. In the week following the July 19 release of second-quarter earnings, 11 insiders have bought a total of $1.3-million worth of stock in the market. The buyers included former Manitoba premier Gary Filmon, who bought 2,000 shares on July 25. The company also restarted its buybacks, repurchasing 73,290 shares in the first three days of this week at an average price of $27.07.

Ted Dixon is CEO of INK Research, which provides insider news and knowledge to investors.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
i fixed up the vexatious options, i'm going to keep brookfield. Excellent management. Such vast geographical & industry diversification all over the planet, one could almost say that BAM is a good defensive stock.

it's too bad the company is such a high-maintenance partner though

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
i fixed up the vexatious options, i'm going to keep brookfield. Excellent management. Such vast geographical & industry diversification all over the planet, one could almost say that BAM is a good defensive stock.

it's too bad the company is such a high-maintenance partner though
agree, they have such great holdings that you can't pass them up ... i certainly view them as a long term hold ... the diversity of kind location and quality of real estate and the holdings in utilities and industrials are really very strong ... just set and forget

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
I haven't really looked into Brookfields actual management, but their various units seem to be well managed.
I credit management, because they seem to have a large number of investments in a wide number of areas, and have great returns.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
^ I don't think you are late. Stay patient. Keep it for 5 -10 years. then you will forget all about thinking you were late.

61 - 80 of 107 Posts