Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering what brokerages you deal with to execute your trades, and if you're content with their platforms, mainly with their smartphone platforms.

I'm currently with CMC Markets, anyone else here trade with them?

I've been with them for a couple of years, and they're pretty good to deal with, and I think their customer service and ongoing training seminars are also great.

However I'm at a point now where I'm considering cross shopping among other discount brokerages to see what they offer.

I checked the Sticky thread in this forum and when i compared the overall packages it seems like CMC Markets is actually quite competitive with their rates.
It seems like Questrade and Virtual Brokers come close with their fees, however CMC is still more competitive at $5.00 a trade, and trade as often or as little as you like.. no min or max trade restrictions. I'm also pretty content with the amount you can leverage with them.

So, why am I cross shopping?

Well, I'm not too crazy about their reporting.. they are actually quite difficult to follow, in fact when filing my return last time even my accountant was scratching his head trying to make sense of it all. I actually need to rely on my own manually created spreadsheet to keep track of my p/l status...

Their mobile platform.. is kind of average, and the range of phones they support are dated and limited. I basically got a BlackBerry instead of an iPhone so that i'd be able to trade with them.. and the software tends to get buggy really easily - so alot of un-installing, reinstalling, pulling the battery...

So I just thought i'd guage the forum to see if you're currently happy with who you're trading with, and what mobile trading is like with them, and how flexible it is (charting, email alerts, Stop Loss, and If, Then trades etc, and smoothness of operation).

oh, and I'd really like to be able to trade with an Iphone 4 :eek:

·
Banned
94 Posts
Once the OS war is over on these handhelds then you will see a good trading program on them. Android? Ipod? Blackberry? It is hard to know where to spend your $ to get the best buck.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
oh, and I'd really like to be able to trade with an Iphone 4 :eek:
+1

I actually prefer to look at charts on my iPhone because the touch screen is just better than a mouse. You can quickly touch 2 parts of the chart to compare etc. I have to trade on the Safari browser though (Questrade). It works but using a browser is annoying on a phone, whereas iPhone apps are often better than using a computer/mouse

The iSwim app is the best I've seen, however thinkorswim is not available in Canada.

I'm really surprised no Canadian brokerage has really taken advantage of the app industry yet, which is really booming this year. If people switch for platforms, people will switch for apps

My bet is on TD to come out with one, because they have a really good banking app with a Waterhouse tab. Currently all it does is let you call Waterhouse from the app though. Actually I think TD Ameritrade owns thinkorswim?

The mobile OS war will likely only be between Andoid and Apple. I think Android will end up bigger because it can be used on any brand of device but Apple will always be there for the fanboys. Any smart brokerage would make an app for at least these 2 at the same time and probably others

1 - 3 of 3 Posts