Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
What is considered a normal amount for brokerage fees. I estimate i would spend around 80 dollars / year if i choose to buy etfs instead of e series. Is that considered too much?
Too much? Depends on how much you'd save via lower ETF fees vs eseries.

You could also look at brokerages that off free-ETFs (of which there are several).

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Too much? Depends on how much you'd save via lower ETF fees vs eseries.
Good point ... then too, where one has smaller amounts to deploy on a schedule, it may make more sense to stick with the eSeries for the payments then switch. Tougher to do in a taxable account but in a registered account that won't trigger taxes, it may be what one chooses.

You could also look at brokerages that off free-ETFs (of which there are several).
Hmmm ... I can think of several that offer buying ETFs for free ... are there any that offer selling for free as well?

... just curious.

Cheers

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hmmm ... I can think of several that offer buying ETFs for free ... are there any that offer selling for free as well?

... just curious.
Cheers
iTrade and Qtrade offer free selling, but it's only a small list of ETFs and not really any of the low MER broad index ETFs that would interest most people other than the horizons swap based ones which have their own detractors.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Half a loaf (i.e. free buys) ... particularly where one is looking to add more or small amounts may work out though.

The flip side of the coin is that leaving what already works, may or may not end up being the best choice ... for example, figuring buying once a month is easy then looking back to realise three months have gone by without a purchase.

Cheers

·
Registered
133 Posts
Good point ... then too, where one has smaller amounts to deploy on a schedule, it may make more sense to stick with the eSeries for the payments then switch. Tougher to do in a taxable account but in a registered account that won't trigger taxes, it may be what one chooses.

... just curious.

Cheers

Virtual broker offers 150 ETFs buy and sell free, which seems to be the largest number of free ETF commission. And you can build a 3-fund simplistic portfolio with it. HXS, HXT, XQB. But as mentioned those horizon funds have their own concerns.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Then I guess the main concern with VB would be avoiding the inactivity fees ... which with quarterly or more often purchases, should be relatively easy.

Cheers
IIRC, if you maintain a certain balance in the accounts, you can avoid the inactive fee. Forgot the amount, but it's not that much.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.