Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I'm not saying this to brag and to be very honest when I purchased AAPL at $405 (actually purchased LEAPs) I was expecting to either sell for a quick loss or hold to $430. But as it bounced around $430 I decided to hold it and after getting back from vacation it was up to $500. Just got lucky really, never expected it to go back to $500.

What does everyone think about a push to $600. I'll pretty sure I'll be selling out at this level, but it would be good to hear from the group.

John

·
Banned
2,508 Posts
Well there is big pressure on them now to buy back more shares, they have the cash and maybe th easiest way to add more shareholder value going forward. The reason why the stock has slumped from highs is because steve jobs the master visonary is dead, and other companies are taking market share.

·
Banned
1,939 Posts
I remember before and leading to his passing(jobs was working on the next big thing,but it was never reveled or maybe it was?lots of speculation)What exactly was he working on?There could be very likely something coming out of the apple pipeline that still has jobs written all over it,i wouldn't count it out.
Apple still has the best/brightest/creative/innovated talented employees in the space(i admit i do not know much about the tech industry but i'm guessing apple still reigns supreme attracting the best tech minds in the world)
One could still reasonably ''bet'' on apples human capital-they are not dead(it's not like anybody else in the smartphone space is ahead)
I think sentiment of the company and stock is @ a attractive point and it is smart to still stick around in the name,i am,i think the stock price is reflecting zero on innovation going forward and with the new div and still record cash pile now would be a bad time to walk,just m.o.
Ichan's backing has me feeling even more confident.

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
AAPL is a very volatile stock. You can make a lot of money by playing the swings. Track the upward momentum until you see another correction then get off.

I don't see iWatch as a big game changer. The only thing that would make a breakthrough is to bring the iTunes ease of use to the world of video. That space is crowded with many alternatives. The secret is to get all the providers to agree to let you offer them under your store.

What can Apple do that Cineplex cannot? They can combine movies with TV series in one place. It is not something new but a user-friendly way for the average user to access video content instead of keeping track of all the various sites that make it available now in the various alternative sites.

Will the content providers cooperate? That is the $1000 question!

(In Canada, Cineplex plus the telcos gets everything but HBO and other independent content providers. But they need the same deal with the US to make it viable.)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi everyone

I'm not saying this to brag and to be very honest when I purchased AAPL at $405 (actually purchased LEAPs) I was expecting to either sell for a quick loss or hold to $430. But as it bounced around $430 I decided to hold it and after getting back from vacation it was up to $500. Just got lucky really, never expected it to go back to $500.

What does everyone think about a push to $600. I'll pretty sure I'll be selling out at this level, but it would be good to hear from the group.

John

I'm in the same boat. Long 500 calls just before earnings and $500 was my take-profit target (filled the Jan 2013 gap).

I took 75% off the table on friday and rolled the remaining forward to 530 calls. The sentiment has changed drastically over the past month and I think we'll see a test of the 540-550 handle before the "big announcement" - I don't plan on holding through the announcement, but technically I think we'll see 540 before then.

Depending on what strike/expiration you purchased, there has been a drastic increase in implied volatility (when I purchased IV was ~21% and is now around 28%). I would speculate the volatility is going to continue to increase if we get into the 550 handle and as we get closer to the "big announcement". If IV gets into the historical highs of 35-40%, I would be selling that premium (hopefully when the price action is around 550).

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Long 500 calls just before earnings and $500 was my take-profit target (filled the Jan 2013 gap).

I took 75% off the table on friday and rolled the remaining forward to 530 calls. The sentiment has changed drastically over the past month and I think we'll see a test of the 540-550 handle before the "big announcement" - I don't plan on holding through the announcement, but technically I think we'll see 540 before then.

Depending on what strike/expiration you purchased, there has been a drastic increase in implied volatility (when I purchased IV was ~21% and is now around 28%). I would speculate the volatility is going to continue to increase if we get into the 550 handle and as we get closer to the "big announcement". If IV gets into the historical highs of 35-40%, I would be selling that premium (hopefully when the price action is around 550).
it looks like i found a gap believer:encouragement:

congrats on ur traade .
damn i missed this gravy train.
anyone interest in buying otm puts?
i am selling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts