Canadian Money Forum banner
21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
It is strange that the Americans are not reciprocating with opening the land border since it was them doing the bitching and complaining about Canada dragging its feet with respect to coming up with a border reopening plan.
The speculation is the diplomatic awkwardness of potentially having different rules for the southern border than with the northern border. They may not want to be 'discriminating' towards Mexico which, as I understand it, has really botched its vaccine roll out. I don't mind. Let fully vaccinated and negative PCR test Americans come north and spend their money. It's no big deal if the USA keeps the land border shut to Canadians for awhile longer. Who wants to go south of the 49th this time of year anyway?

There is some risk of Americans being carriers as they come north but the percentage would be incredibly small (double vaccinations plus negative PCR test). The risk is minimal for fully vaccinated Canadians anyway. Both USA and UK results are showing a very small percentage of double vaccinated covid cases showing up in hospital and that is really what the vaccination program is about to begin with. Like having a mild cold or flu.

Besides Canadians were far too early in dropping the mask mandate by a least a month. We need a higher percentage of double vaccinated folks to keep transmissiibility low. We continue to wear our masks when in indoor settings and will continue to do so for at least another month or so. The vast majority have ditched their masks. Shame on them.

·
Registered
11,560 Posts
The speculation is the diplomatic awkwardness of potentially having different rules for the southern border than with the northern border. They may not want to be 'discriminating' towards Mexico which, as I understand it, has really botched its vaccine roll out. I don't mind. Let fully vaccinated and negative PCR test Americans come north and spend their money. It's no big deal if the USA keeps the land border shut to

Besides Canadians were far too early in dropping the mask mandate by a least a month. We need a higher percentage of double vaccinated folks to keep transmissiibility low. We continue to wear our masks when in indoor settings and will continue to do so for at least another month or so. The vast majority have ditched their masks. Shame on them.
Not in Ontario. The masks is still mandatory here

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
Should have been that way in BC and AB as well. Maybe 10-20% masks in supermarkets and big retailers. More staff wearing them than customers.

Better statistics in some smaller establishments and some still requiring them.

·
Registered
11,560 Posts
Should have been that way in BC and AB as well. Maybe 10-20% masks in supermarkets and big retailers. More staff wearing them than customers.

Better statistics in some smaller establishments and some still requiring them.
I don't agree it should be mandatory... If not, I'd remove it right away... Masks bother me ... my glasses become foggy and it's difficult to breathe... In Ontario you cannot enter any indoor venue w/o mask.... crazy! And we have just 120-130 cases per day for 15M.
many, esp Chinese, are wearing masks outdoors, even in big Provincial Parks....even when boating in the lake :)
For students who supervise kids in summer camps in those parks - also mandatory to wear masks....I feel sorry for them ..
All public indoor sport programs are closed... freaking tired of it

·
Registered
15,619 Posts
My wife still wears a mask and face shield at work and when shopping.

People give her odd looks, but she says it is better to be safe than the alternative.

·
Registered
536 Posts
That's the nice thing. She is free to do that. Always was and always will be. It's a choice.
Whatever Albertans are doing is clearly working looking at ICU and hospitalizations.

·
Registered
15,619 Posts
Yea, it is okay for her maybe.

But what about a retirement home where some employees refused to be vaccinated, don't wear a face shield, and pull down their masks ?

Of course, the residents and their families aren't informed on who is or isn't vaccinated, so they really don't have any choice.

In the US companies can legally require employees to be vaccinated. In Canada, the employers can't.

There is a big question going forward on this issue. What jobs could or should require full vaccinations ?

Should an OR/ER nurse be required to be fully vaccinated ? What about a server in a restaurant ? What about a worker in an LTC home ?

After waiting all this time to get her hair cut, my wife finally got an appointment.

While there the hairdresser disclosed she didn't believe in vaccines and wasn't vaccinated at all.

My wife says she won't be going back to her. She wonders if the woman has told any of her other clients.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
Regardless, Interior Health in BC has the highest new active case rate in BC with half* of all new active daily cases with less than 20% of the provincial population. Clearly the ******** don't yet get it. We will continue to mask within public indoor spaces. Despite being fully vaccinated, we have immunocompromised family members and we owe it to them, at least until the case counts do down significantly. We are the guinea pigs for BC.

* Between Monday and Tuesday, 37 new active cases in the Interior (out of 76 province wide) in a population of 800,000 out of 5.2 million in BC. And the numbers are increasing this past week, since the mask mandate was lifted circa July 5th. I expect the active new case counts to continue to rise in the Interior. It is flat out tourist season here, hotels are full in many places and everyone is going a bit nuts.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
Am I the only one that finds it funny that supposedly the US border states were pushing for Canada to reopen the border, which is going to be Aug 9th, but they've continued to extend their border restrictions to Aug 21st? US extends Mexico, Canada border restrictions through Aug. 21 despite Canada's plan to allow fully vaccinated Americans
See post #21. The issue is most likely the southern border. The G&M had some discussion on that I think today.

Added: Eventually Mexico, if not already, will be more important to the USA than Canada. On a GDP basis, Canada is #10 in the world while Mexico is #15. If Mexico gets its poo together, its sheer population base has the opportunity to put Mexico into the top 10.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Added: Eventually Mexico, if not already, will be more important to the USA than Canada. On a GDP basis, Canada is #10 in the world while Mexico is #15. If Mexico gets its poo together, its sheer population base has the opportunity to put Mexico into the top 10.
Your are right! What I see is that they have developed as a dependent culture. Even their fuel has to be refined in Texas. They export fruit and vegetables, and manufacturing developed by the US.

When a sector gets successful, the mobs move in to demand a piece of the action (e.g. avocados) so everyone stays below the radar.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
See post #21. The issue is most likely the southern border. The G&M had some discussion on that I think today.

Perhaps, but the point is that the governments (US, and Canada) should have worked this out ahead of time so that it could have been better coordinated. As it is, Americans are fine to enter Canada as of 9 Aug if they meet the double vaccination and negative PCR test standard, but Canadians will have to wait until at least 21 Aug. It's actually somewhat detrimental to the US border town economies. At any case, those same border states are now going to try to pressure the US government after we've already said we would open.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
I think Canada likely knew USA would march to their particular drum. Personally, I don't care if the USA won't let us in for awhile longer this time of year and I am not particularly concerned about US border businesses. That is their problem.

Since the USA really doesn't much care about how they impact anyone else, as in holding up our pipelines and imposing tariffs on various products on a whim, why should we give a poo about them? People are making way, way more out of this than is merited.

·
Registered
62 Posts
... It's no big deal if the USA keeps the land border shut to Canadians for awhile longer. Who wants to go south of the 49th this time of year anyway?
<insert tongue in cheek>
Probably the Canadian politicians who didn't make the trip to their US property yet.
<remove tongue from cheek>

One of my friends went down about two weeks ago to get engaged and married.

There's couples with one partner in Gatineau QC and the other in Albany NY. Not quite as exotic as the couple I read about years ago where one had a company in Canada and the other in Mexico so they split the travel time by living in the US!!

There's also geographic oddities such as Point Roberts, Washington where some Canadians with property, boats and animals are petitioning to enter (4,417 signed so far).

And then there's the run of the mill family visits (I can think of about ten people, without sweat).

Cheers

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
Okay, there may be 1 in 1000 who have real reasons to go south.

Spouse's relatives are one of those with property in Point Roberts. They don't seem terribly upset about not having seen it since March 2020. It's the price one pays to have property in another country. They already have known the risks of being denied entry for any reason at all by CBP, or even for no reason at all. Imagine the USA suddenly denying entry to Canadians into perpetuity!

DIL has been waiting to see her siblings from stateside for well over a year now. Now they will be coming this way a few days after opening in August. We will have a party. There really is no crisis, just inconvenience.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I was out a restaurant yesterday in Ontario. Every table was filled. Of course, no masks required once you sit down and are stationery side the table next to you. But if you get up to leave or use the washroom, mask needs to go back on. I guess it’s the only solution, but feels weird being maskless for 90 mins in an indoor setting, yet I need to wear a mask grocery shopping or paying for gas.

either way, i‘ve been out twice for indoor dining since ontario reopened. Our city has probably had less than 10 cases in 2 weeks. There appears to be a lot of pent up demand For dining. If cases remain low, it bodes well for a strong economic recovery…..maybe too strong?

21 - 40 of 88 Posts