Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Do you know of any books/sources that you can recommend to Canadian expats but who never invested in real estate before? Thank you so much for your help.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Good beginner book can be found here...www.mindsetfinance.com

Also NOLO’s first time landlord book

There is an American book Called BRRRR that I haven’t finished reading.

I just noticed that you’re trying to invest from a different country, that’s pretty advanced investing and I wouldn’t recommend it to start.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your response. I am not sure where I will invest. I am planning to create a portifolio of ETFs and real estate. It seems it is easier to do with ETFS. It is difficult to do with real estate. That is why I asked if it is possible to do real estate investing while expat. How do real estate investing while an expat? I do not know where to invest in my first property. I probably have to hire a property manager. I am just lost. I do not know where to invest. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
6,879 Posts
Most people begin investing close to where they live. The next step is a close town or city, then interprovincial and then international. YOu really have to know what you’re doing at each step. You need a good network of people you can trust. There is a lot of money in real estate, which makes it ripe for fraud and theft.

I think you should reconsider direct real estate investing and look into REITs.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
As I wrote in your other thread, you need to provide more background information in order to get relevant responses. There is also no need to post in two places within this forum with the same question.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
If you never have invested in any real estate, investing in another country would NOT likely be the best first choice.
LOL, what is 'another country'? The OP is a Canadian citizen as shown in his other thread and has made no mention of which country he is thinking of investing in, Canada or the country he has or is planning, to move to. That is part of the problem with both his threads, they leave it up to the reader to either ASSUME things or to ask him to clarify just what he is talking about.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
If you never have invested in any real estate, investing in another country would NOT likely be the best first choice.
The hunt for taxes is global. Australia has double the property tax for foreigners as well as fines them if home is empty. To get elected you are not going to tax the voters when the foreigners can be taxed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts