Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Looks like Questrade and Wealthsimple at
are having their impacts.

There are a few ETFs I already own so, this would be most helpful. Let's hope the list will eventually get bigger ( like I'm looking for either QQQ or ZQQ).

·
Registered
11,414 Posts
You won't get any US Exchange traded ones on any expanded list. The list is already extensive though I am surprised they didn't include ZQQ given some of the other boutique ones already on the list.

I got the email today as well.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
^ I haven't got this newspiece and pdf link above doesn't open? It's about time they offer free ETFs trading, especially their in-house ones.

I'm still waiting for MyLink to return even the turnaround time for call-ins is down to 61 seconds... which fluctuates from 180 to 64 to ... whatever they claim ... LOL.

Edit: Okay, see it now. The list of 80 ETFs are hardly comprehensive...meh.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I would think the list of 80 eligible ETF's was influenced by the holdings of their existing customer base.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I would think the list of 80 eligible ETF's was influenced by the holdings of their existing customer base.
... most likely but at the same time why aren't they including some of their inhouse ETFs (eg. ZWB) that I'm sure many of the clients hold as well. What a lame list.

·
Registered
11,414 Posts
Y'all are a tough group. I would not have included anything other than broad based core ETFs on the list to reinforce the message that mainstream ETFs are all that anyone needs.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I am happy with the list. It's better than what was available before (0). They will quite likely add to it over time.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Y'all are a tough group. I would not have included anything other than broad based core ETFs on the list to reinforce the message that mainstream ETFs are all that anyone needs.
.. then you must not have seen the (Canada) National Bank discount brokerage's list. I don't disagree with you on the mainstream ETFs but come on, excluding most of BMO's inhouse ETFs? And so much for the 5 Stars programme for VIPs or is it NIPs now. Lame, lame, lame.

·
Registered
11,414 Posts
I suspect BMO IL does not want to play favourites for 2 reasons: 1) they know what their account holders have in their accounts and why anger customers with iShares and Vanguard holdings? and 2) not potentially expose themselves to litigation playing favourites? There are a number of settlements against Asset Management arms of the likes of RBC which incentivized the selling of their own in-house mutual fund brands. Google them at your leisure. Probably the same reason RBC DI doesn't provide incentives for purchase of iShares, albeit RBC Investease (their robo-advisory channel) does use iShare ETFs in their Asset Allocation portfolios....like Vanguard and BMO do as well with their AA ETFs.

BMO IL got this one right.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
It's funny that BMOIL just came out with a "Your new Conflict of Interest Statement"....hmmmm????

·
Registered
210 Posts
It's funny that BMOIL just came out with a "Your new Conflict of Interest Statement"....hmmmm????
I had a cursory look at the new conflict of interest statement. Nothing there that mad me go hmmmm. Nothing wrong with dosclosure. I think this speaks to AltaRed's comments above, which I agree with.

Again, I see this as a positive.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There was about $3500 sitting in wife's RRIF, so decided to try this new feature. I just chose an etf that we already had - XDIV. Oops, it showed a $9.95 trading fee :( Checked their list, and sure enough, that is one that is missing. Switched to ZDV and that went through with zero trading fee,

So at least I now know this works.

So what's to stop investors from double dipping? Buy ahead of dividend date, then sell after? Then find another ETF or even a stock with commission and do the same. Do all ETFs on the BMOIL lists pay dividends on the same date?

·
Registered
376 Posts

So what's to stop investors from double dipping? Buy ahead of dividend date, then sell after? Then find another ETF or even a stock with commission and do the same. Do all ETFs on the BMOIL lists pay dividends on the same date?
Probably nothing.

But if too many people are churning ETFs that it turns into a problem for BMO IL, they'll add new rules. You know, just like what Sprint had to do with their unlimited talk.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts