Canadian Money Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
Ok, I received a very quick response! And it 'seems' OK to me. They don't say whether the number to call when away will be available 24/7 considering difference in time zones etc. I imagine it would have to be, but I have asked!

"The two-step verification code will be requested in the situation that you are using a device that you do not usually use, or are accessing the BMO InvestorLine website from a different IP address than you usually do. When you enter the twostep verification code you will have the option to have the system recognize your device. Doing so should greatly reduce how frequently you are prompted for a code. A code will also be requested if your browser's settings are in private or incognito mode. You may wish to check your browser settings and make the appropriate changes to see if it resolves the issue.

If you only have a landline you may receive the code by selecting the voice message option. If you do not have access to a phone and you are unable to receive a text or voice message with the validation code, there is an option available when you call in that indicates this in the two step verification process. You will then be directed to speak with a BMO InvestorLine representative by calling the phone number below (from overseas, call 1-416-281-5400), and a representative will provide you with a verification code which you may enter online."
... correction: since you can call from overseas, then that # should be 24/7/365.

Obviously, the 2-step verification requirement is only initiated when you're banking from a different device suddenly (not applicable to moi) or have cleared out your computer cache/cookies (applicable to moi).

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
... correction: since you can call from overseas, then that # should be 24/7/365.
I have no clue what your first paragraph actually corrects....

Anyway, done with this thread for now. Let's see what happens on Oct 13.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
I have no clue what your first paragraph actually corrects....
... it's a correction to what I originally posted thinking that # was a 1-800 for overseas calls when it's just to add the "1" to that # for long distance calling from overseas. Regardless, if you can call from overseas with no specifications/limit from BMOIL on the hours to call, then I would highly assume it's available 24/7/365. Hmm ... on second thought, BMOIL might question why would the client need to call outside of business (trading) hours?

Anyway, done with this thread for now. Let's see what happens on Oct 13.
... probably nothing since it's supposedly to be seamless to us ... until we actually need to call that # which will most likely to happen after Oct. 13. I just double-checked under my Account Settings that BMOIL has my number to call in the event I need the code.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
... probably nothing since it's supposedly to be seamless to us ... until we actually need to call that # which will most likely to happen after Oct. 13. I just double-checked under my Account Settings that BMOIL has my number to call in the event I need the code.
The bolded part is rather important. Make sure the right phone number exists BEFORE it is needed.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
Ok, I received a very quick response! And it 'seems' OK to me. They don't say whether the number to call when away will be available 24/7 considering difference in time zones etc. I imagine it would have to be, but I have asked!
This was the answer:
If you call us at 1-888-776-6886 to receive the TSV pin, we are open from 8AM to 5PM EST, Monday through Friday.
If you are overseas, please gives us a call at 1-416-281-5400 to receive a two step verification pin.
They didn't say if the 416 number is just so calls can be made from overseas (instead of 800 number) and if still only open 8-5 EST weekdays. They dodged that issue, so I imagine the number will only work 8-5 EST 5 days a week. If so, not acceptable, I would think.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
This was the answer:

They didn't say if the 416 number is just so calls can be made from overseas (instead of 800 number) and if still only open 8-5 EST weekdays. They dodged that issue, so I imagine the number will only work 9-5 EST 5 days a week. If so, not acceptable, I would think.
... I would agree but knowing where BMOIL is heading these days, I wouldn't be surprised. Like customers bank "online" only from the hours of 8 to 5 (or with its equivalances in another time zone). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
They didn't say if the 416 number is just so calls can be made from overseas (instead of 800 number) and if still only open 8-5 EST weekdays. They dodged that issue, so I imagine the number will only work 8-5 EST 5 days a week. If so, not acceptable, I would think.
They confirmed that the 416 number (that is to be used to obtain a code for those travelling outside of North America) will only be answered 5 days a week 8-5 EST. Clients will need to call that number from wherever in the world they are during that time if they wish to access their BMOIL accounts. Hold times could make calls expensive! Same times apply to North America, but you can use the 888 number.

Not an acceptable situation for globetrotters. Not sure if an approved device being used from an unrecognized IP will require the code. Something to check before travelling if you are with BMOIL.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
They confirmed that the 416 number (that is to be used to obtain a code for those travelling outside of North America) will only be answered 5 days a week 8-5 EST. Clients will need to call that number from wherever in the world they are during that time if they wish to access their BMOIL accounts. Hold times could make calls expensive! Same times apply to North America, but you can use the 888 number.
... still 8 to 5 business days for overseas call. They're making the onus on the customers to "know BMOIL's operational time zone". [When I hear their slogan, "We're Here to Help", I can't resist on LMAO.]

Not an acceptable situation for globetrotters.
... I don't think they care.

Not sure if an approved device being used from an unrecognized IP will require the code. Something to check before travelling if you are with BMOIL.
... most definitely you would not able to log on which means you'll require the code. Your device (even you've used it for years) will not be recognized with a "different IP address".

Hell, simple clearing of my cache (aka cookies) from my trusty every-day use same laptop gives me this problem every time.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
I agree BMO IL will not care about Agent99's situation, partly because of the rarity of a situation of need to access a BMO IL investment account in a faraway time zone, and partly because almost everyone would use SMS text for 2FA anyway. I've never needed to access any investment account while away from home in the last ~25 years, albeit this may not be the case if I was gone for more than a few months and needed to do a cash sweep from my investment account for some reason.

As I understand it, it is the cookie that recognizes trusted device and clearing them wipes the slate clean (as it has happened to me). Thus, it would seem it is not the IP address being different that triggers it but I am not a techie and I never access investment accounts from anything other than my laptop at my home anyway.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have a free fongo phone number. So as long as I have wifi, I can receive a verification code from anywhere in the world.

However, lately BMO Investorline kicks me out after a few seconds of logging in. Then I have to log in again with exactly the same ID and password as before.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I have a free fongo phone number. So as long as I have wifi, I can receive a verification code from anywhere in the world.

However, lately BMO Investorline kicks me out after a few seconds of logging in. Then I have to log in again with exactly the same ID and password as before.
Sure you can get a verification from anywhere in the world by phoning the 416 number (you may have a wait time to deal with). But if for example you are in Hong Kong, you can only do this in the middle of the night and never on weekends.

I have also had BMOIL intermittently kicking me out after a short time recently.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
... most definitely you would not able to log on which means you'll require the code. Your device (even you've used it for years) will not be recognized with a "different IP address".

Hell, simple clearing of my cache (aka cookies) from my trusty every-day use same laptop gives me this problem every time.
I am sure you are right. If I clear cookies, I have to re-enter my User ID. No idea what would happen if I had the Client ID that would like us to switch to.

·
Registered
446 Posts
For those who have a Google Voice number I can confirm that the verification code can be sent to your cell phone. FYI : My Google voice # uses a USA area code. It takes some effort to get one.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
For those who have a Google Voice number I can confirm that the verification code can be sent to your cell phone. FYI : My Google voice # uses a USA area code. It takes some effort to get one.
I have a Google Voice number. but don't really see how it would help with BMOIL. You can call and and receive the code from any kind of phone. Besides, Google Voice is only good for NA calling, I believe.

·
Registered
217 Posts
As I understand it, it is the cookie that recognizes trusted device and clearing them wipes the slate clean
For what it is worth my cache (and therefore cookies) is cleared every time I shutdown - normally once a day late evening - but my trusted device still signs in same way the following day. Also I regularly use a VPN electronically locating me in a different city - still works. Finally - at random intervals - sort of once a week - I get asked to use a verification code - I assume this is part of their security routine - no problem.

Overall I think BMOIL's new sign in system is just as good as the old one - and I assume safer.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have a Google Voice number. but don't really see how it would help with BMOIL. You can call and and receive the code from any kind of phone. Besides, Google Voice is only good for NA calling, I believe.
Google voice also instantaneously generates an email copy of the texted verification code sent by BMOIL. I'm assuming that the email can be received anywhere around the world to your connected device.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Overall I think BMOIL's new sign in system is just as good as the old one - and I assume safer.
You think only being able to sign in between 8 and 5, 5 days a week when away from a trusted device, or whenever BMOIL sees fit, is as good as the old system, where there was no need to ever get a code?

Something like the CRA automatic call-back would be better. With BMOIL, we have to make the call at our cost to get the code from wherever we are. And only during their limited office hours.

I think it is a real crock. They should do better.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
As a shareholder, I sure don't want BMO to be paying folks to man the call centre after hours for a possible 2FA once in a long while, so I am not sure what you think should be done.

The only thing I think can/should be an improvement would be to allow 2FA by email, rather than just SMS text. However a hijacked email account would render that option useless, and particularly onerous if one's BMOIL Username was their email address and a reset of password is done by email itself. A hijacked email system could then be an open door.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You think only being able to sign in between 8 and 5, 5 days a week when away from a trusted device, or whenever BMOIL sees fit, is as good as the old system, where there was no need to ever get a code?
If it provides increased safety - Yes. Internet safety is a big task..
I check my investment status most days without using BMOIL
( - I use Barchart - very professional and low cost)
- and I have never traded away from my trusted device.

I think BMO has done a great job providing for "most" of their massively increased clientele.
If you want something 'special' then pay for it - such costs are way less than in the past.
Expecting it all free makes you sound like a teenager - 🥶🥶

As a shareholder, I sure don't want BMO to be paying folks to man the call centre after hours for a possible 2FA once in a long while, ...........
Agreed. If all this sort of free stuff keeps happening we will never be competitive again.
Decide what you want and pay for it.

·
Registered
12,135 Posts
With some hyperbole, I suspect we won't be able to leave the house without a smartphone by 2030. The spread of 5G will make everything we do dependent on that cell service. Perhaps even being able to start the Tesla and backing it out of the garage to go to the local coffee shop.

My spouse struggles with many of the apps on her phone and would prefer her past simpler life but I keep reminding her she will become more of a dinosaur/paperweight if she doesn't stay current. We have, in our 70s, not yet begun to experience the size of technological tsunami coming our way. All of this will cost something in terms of subscription services.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts