Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bunch of Financial Bloggers are picking 4 stocks for the year.

http://www.moneysmartsblog.com/2010-stock-picking-contest-results/

http://www.milliondollarjourney.com/top-stock-pick-results-from-2010.htm

These are their results for 2010.

They'll be coming out with their stock picks for 2011 very soon...

I'll bet we can do better, I know I can anyways :D

So here's my picks for 2011 - I'm picking warrants. That's just how I roll. You pick what floats your boat.

Canadian Western Bank CWB.WT.TO $14.53 (Financials)
Gazit America Inc GAA.WT.TO $01.15 (Medical Buildings Ont)
Brick Group BRK.WT.TO $01.80 (Furniture)
Bankers Petroleum BNK.WT.A.TO $05.40 (Oil)

Lets see how we stack up!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well, I would have come in dead last for the 2010 bloggers stock picking contest, but I can't resist :) Though these are more speculative than what I mostly own in real life, this time around there's a little more similarity than last year, which was really off-the-wall.

1. Short BNS (I think the end of the year may bring some panic selling to the Canadian banks)

2. Long RCI.B (I don't expect too much out of Rogers, but it's finally starting to be valued like a utility rather than some growth sensation)

3. Long IM (Same reason as last year)

4. Short HBU (Again, I'd never short gold in real life, but just don't believe in it)

·
Banned
184 Posts
I'll throw my hat into the mix.

NASDAQ:NXPI NXP Semiconductors - Specifically for an expected rise in smartphone payment technologies but solid all around - $21.36

TSX:SWY - Stornoway Diamonds - Assessment of Renard, Quebec mine in 3rd quarter could be huge. - $0.61

TSX:IMX - IMAX Corporation - Consumers love their big entertainment, they were up 99% last year. Do they have any competition? - $28.04

NYSE:JNJ - Johnson and Johnson - $63.01

·
Registered
249 Posts
Picking individual stocks for a single year is a statistically losing proposition for the average investor/trader (with no army of investigators and no insider info). The 2010 results show that (when compared to an index): 4 above the SP500, 6 below.
As a gambling exercise is fun, though.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I'm tired of hearing "you can't beat the market, don't even try". The people who say that are the people who can't beat the market. Therefore they should stick to their ETFs and leave the pickers alone.

First day of trading and my Boeing pick is smashing the Dow by more than twofold! Haha.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
NASDAQ:QCOM $49.49 Qualcomm - They make the Snapdragon processor in smartphones/tablets and they generate revenue from patents on current 3G technology and they have the most patents in the upcoming 4G network

NASDAQ:GOOG $594 Google - I think they will lead the next generation of IT with Android and cloud computing

NASDAQ:JOYG $86.75 Joy Global - The big miners are expected to boost production in 2011 with the rising demand for commodities and the profits for the main mining equipment company should be a given

CVE:GER $0.255 Glen Eagle Resources - Exploration of lithium which is in demand for electric car batteries.. they have claims 15 kms away from the lithium mine in Val D'Or

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
Except it is open source. Even if it is the next windows it will never generate windows level money.
Yea Google is one of those stocks I watch grow year after year but can never justify buying

I may swap something in, because it would be hard to see it keep growing (like I say every year haha)

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Things can of course change in a NY minute, however, so far my #1 pick for 2010/2011 is going through the roof. Potash is now trading at $171+ and even higher in NY. To think that just 5 months ago BHP had offered $130 a share, which I believe translated into a mere 10% premium back in August/2010.

Mr. Doyle had been right after all when he said: "I'm not saying I'm opposed to a sale, but I'm opposed to a steal of the company." I bought the stock exactly a year ago at just over $100 a share after reading so much about it, but not until I read various sources, including chemical news and industrial science did I really understand the importance of this substance, live & learn I suppose! I told myself I would sell at $200, now I'm not so sure, this is the hardest part. :confused:

Happy to see that RIM is doing well also.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.