Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I use Quadrigacx. They are based in Vancouver and they seem to have more funding options than Coinbase. I haven't tried to withdraw yet.

My overall impression so far is decent, but spreads can be a bit wide at times due to lower liquidity. If you watch the price closely you can usually catch a dip.

My other account is with Poloniex, but I don't fund that with CAD. I mainly used it to trade my forked Bitcoin Cash for some Ethereum, Litecoin, and others.

·
Registered
18,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Quadrigacx :

I see some concerns based on their technical presence. Their web site says they are based in Vancouver, but I don't see an actual address. Searching around google finds one, but it's very suspicious that Canadian address and phone number aren't posted on their web site.

Much more concerning than that, their entire web presence is registered under the Bahamas, and corporate ownership information is concealed, with only an office address in Nassau Bahamas given. This is extremely unusual for a legitimate company. Normally you will see an actual contact person, the corporation's name, street address, and even a phone number all in Canada.

The Bahamas link is also clearly more than superficial. A search of their social media found an event posted a year ago with the description "Our CEO Gerald Cotten at Alpha North Capital Conference in the Bahamas."

The fact they are concealing their Canadian presence and contact information, and have such a strong Bahamas link, raises all the red flags. I would never do business with this company. Part of my real job is cyber security and fraud investigation, and Quadrigacx fails the sniff test. This does not look legitimate.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
i just had an eye exam and the optometrist was telling me about one of his patients who owns a small business and was hit with the ransomware scam ... his whole IT system got compromised and scrambled

the scammers wanted 15K and the guy was getting ready to go the local bitcoin vending machine here in victoria with 15K cash and buy the coins

but i guess they had a big staff meeting and decided to spend the 15K rebuilding the IT system and implementing better security and better backups which was a wise choice because to pay would have made him a target again

but yeah, he was on his way with 15K to the local bitcoin vending machine

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The last three posts should really be moved to the main Bitcoin thread... this thread is about how to buy/speculate on Bitcoin in Canada.

·
Registered
18,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the scammers wanted 15K and the guy was getting ready to go the local bitcoin vending machine here in victoria with 15K cash and buy the coins
That would be a big mistake. Organizations that pay are more likely to get hit with repeated attacks. It's also not a guarantee that paying will unlock the computers at all.

I'm glad they decided to invest the 15K in upgrading systems and better implementations. They should also hire an expert in computer security. Otherwise they are sitting ducks.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
That would be a big mistake. Organizations that pay are more likely to get hit with repeated attacks. It's also not a guarantee that paying will unlock the computers at all.

I'm glad they decided to invest the 15K in upgrading systems and better implementations. They should also hire an expert in computer security. Otherwise they are sitting ducks.
what if he had decided to pay ? ... i would like to be there when he dumps 15K into one of thise small atm’s ... i assume it has a bill reader so he stands there and feeds 150 100’s into the damn thing and buys 2 bitcoins ... wow

the people that make thise machines would love to see btc come down to about 200 a coin or something then the technology would work a little better

you’d think somebody would be staking the things out because a good day might see a lot of cash (you know, the old fashioned kind) in the atm

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have a coin base account. I have only purchased Ethereum on that site. I know at the moment you cant sell the product on there site. I guess you would have to transfer it somewhere else to sell. Could be a concern but at the moment I only have a few thousand dollars in there and treating it like a penny stock and not planning to sell. Will deal with that when time comes up. Anyone else have a Canadian coin base account and have this concern?

·
Registered
72 Posts
I use Coinbase to buy. Since they pulled out of Canada you can no longer sell on Coinbase.

Yes we have a Canadian option and it would be nice to buy Canadian but often I have found the credit card buy option on Coinbase is still cheaper then QuadrigaCX after you factor in the larger price spread.

Regardless chance are you will store your bitcoins on whichever exchange you end up buying on. While the past tells us this is bad practice if you are going to store your coins online I would trust Coinbase by a long shot. They just have more resources to deal with security.

I would highly recommend offline storage two options being a hardware wallet someone already mentions which ranges from $100-$200. A paper wallet is also considered very secure when created correctly. If anyone wants more information on how to create a paper wallet just PM me.

R

·
Registered
18,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
What makes them reputable?
Coinbase seems more reputable than the other major exchanges. They are located in the US and have some insurance, and (as far as I can tell) operate within US laws. They probably have ambitions of going public which means that they will have to make sure their finances & taxes are pristine. It also seems unlikely that the executives would want to risk prison time by engaging in international money laundering, drug trade, and tax evasion.

Warnings about other exchanges, such as this one in the news, note that competitors like Bitfinex are run out of Caribbean tax havens to circumvent US laws. This is why I immediately got suspicious of Canada's Quadrigacx due to its strong links to the Bahamas. Smells like the same story.

None of these exchanges are particularly encouraging, but as far as I can tell, Coinbase is the most trustworthy among the options.

It appears that Canadian customers can buy bitcoin/ethereum/litecoin through Coinbase, however, we cannot yet sell the coins.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
... It appears that Canadian customers can buy bitcoin/ethereum/litecoin through Coinbase, however, we cannot yet sell the coins.
No liquidity? Well hell's bells who sells anyway?

I'd be in it for the long term - look how well its done in the short term! I think it was Jargey who taught us to 'go big or go home'

·
Registered
18,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll probably roll the dice with a small amount, maybe a few day's worth of employment income. World-wide bubble manias like this don't happen too often!

There's a bitcoin ATM in the food court of a local mall. I could alternatively buy through that...

1 - 20 of 95 Posts