Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought BIP last year for the first time...not appreciating the tax differences that apply. Although it’s held up the best amongst my holdings.

Received my T5013 today. A few questions.

1. are the figures in USD or CdN on the T form? It says “CONVERTED AT CRA RATE OF 1.3269”, so I assume all the figures in the boxes are in CDN dollars?

2. I didn’t realize there was a ROC component. The amount is $311.99. i Assume this lowers my ACB just as if it was a MF or ETF?

3. box 135 (foreign income) has two lines for Bermuda and us income. Does Studiotax allow for 2 country codes to be entered from the same T5013? Maybe I’ll just wait for the CRA auto-fill functionality.

still waiting on Vanguards tax forms...and one other...BPY?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I just got mine (for BPY-UN) from TDDI. I got two because I held it in C$ until I realised that they pay $US and sent it over to my U$ account. I got separate T5013s for the two accounts. They are both in CAN$, with the one from my U$ account converted as they say. Your ROC interpretation is what I also assume -- I don't see any other interpretation. The instruction/box-description sheet I received with the forms spells this out for box 113.

For box 135 I just summed the three amounts to enter into box 135 of Studio Tax. I don't know if the CRA expects this to be split out by country, but the tax treatment is the same I think. Also in Studio Tax I chose the country code as Other/Unknown for the total box 135 amount. Studio Tax appears to have a few U/I bugs on this entry form making it even more interesting to enter all this.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Bought BIP last year for the first time...not appreciating the tax differences that apply. Although it’s held up the best amongst my holdings ...
Been burned by this before so I do a lot more checking before buying an investment these days. Or worst case, before the end of the purchase year so i know what to do and what documents to keep.

1. are the figures in USD or CdN on the T form? It says “CONVERTED AT CRA RATE OF 1.3269”, so I assume all the figures in the boxes are in CDN dollars?
Sounds like it.

2. I didn’t realize there was a ROC component. The amount is $311.99. i Assume this lowers my ACB just as if it was a MF or ETF?
Yes ... but it's more than MFs and ETFs that have RoC - there's also REITs.

3. box 135 (foreign income) has two lines for Bermuda and us income. Does Studiotax allow for 2 country codes to be entered from the same T5013?
I'd be surprised if it doesn't but have never needed this as all my forms, including T5013's from many moons ago were single currency.

... still waiting on Vanguards tax forms...and one other...BPY?
I'm waiting on my last T3 form. Usually it's for the last REIT to report. This year for some reason it's two REITs that haven't reported yet.

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts